Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: TRIMBLE X9

Post by Scott »

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:04 pm
smacl wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:44 pm
landmeterbeuckx wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:57 pm Besides range i don't see much difference in scan duration.

Min. time is still 2 minutes.

Or am i missing something?
x7 is 500khz or 500 thousand points per second, x9 is 1000khz or 1 million points per second, so twice as fast to capture the same density of point cloud. Put another way, what you get in 2 minutes on the x9 would take 4 minutes on the x7.
True but still 2 minutes in this day and age is still a long time. with time needed to move the scanner you need say 2.5 minutes per scan minimim so that's a max of 24 scans an hour <200 a day. That's with all other equipment available not productive anymore, let alone the competition of slam.
As scanning speeds improve, receiving the $$$$ for the completed projects seems to be lengthening...;)
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

Scott wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:06 pm
landmeterbeuckx wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:04 pm
smacl wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:44 pm

x7 is 500khz or 500 thousand points per second, x9 is 1000khz or 1 million points per second, so twice as fast to capture the same density of point cloud. Put another way, what you get in 2 minutes on the x9 would take 4 minutes on the x7.
True but still 2 minutes in this day and age is still a long time. with time needed to move the scanner you need say 2.5 minutes per scan minimim so that's a max of 24 scans an hour <200 a day. That's with all other equipment available not productive anymore, let alone the competition of slam.
As scanning speeds improve, receiving the $$$$ for the completed projects seems to be lengthening...;)
Only deliver after payment. I do this for all new clients. First 5 projects or so like this and then i change my due date to 14 days. Never longer.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:04 pmTrue but still 2 minutes in this day and age is still a long time. with time needed to move the scanner you need say 2.5 minutes per scan minimim so that's a max of 24 scans an hour <200 a day. That's with all other equipment available not productive anymore, let alone the competition of slam.
I don't think the equation is anything like that simple as it neglects things like scanner range, level correction, imaging, running costs, recalibration costs and downtime, IP rating for working environment, scanner weight and portability etc... A device like like the BLK Gen 2 for example is very well suited to shorter range jobs and tight spaces, for outdoor works with longer distances, my feeling is the x9 could be more effective. As scan times reduce, we also have the effect that processing time in the office becomes more time consuming and costly than time in the field. If we're putting in fixed control, it is also the case that there's more to field time than scan time. There are many variables to consider when picking a scanner.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
mikajahkola
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Mika Jahkola
Company Details: Myymore Oy
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by mikajahkola »

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:57 pm Image
Besides range i don't see much difference in scan duration.

Min. time is still 2 minutes.

Or am i missing something?
According to Trimble X9 Laser Scanner User Guide the shortest scanning duration is 59 seconds (indoor mode, images off, including self-levelling).
Image acquisition adds 1 minute or more to this depending on image count and HDR setting.
https://geospatial.trimble.com/sites/ge ... nglish.pdf
Kkwstas1977
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Kostas Kostakis
Company Details: Plano S.L.A
Company Position Title: Manager

Post by Kkwstas1977 »

Any test or compare to other scanners;
Least
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Patrick
Company Details: 360G
Company Position Title: Director

Post by Least »

Here is an example X9 slice taken through a pylon, it's been coloured by plane in Undet.
We were only interested in the lower part of the pylon with the platform and cable sealing ends.

Full resolution image can be viewed here https://icedrive.net/s/B6iZzY1yfbuTuY37b5PabiY35fyN
(wait for the full image to download)

(edit: corrected icedrive link)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Least on Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Least
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Patrick
Company Details: 360G
Company Position Title: Director

Post by Least »

PXL_20231016_091346954.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
andrewf91
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Andrew Farias
Company Details: Idaho Power Company
Company Position Title: Survey Leader
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by andrewf91 »

That is incredible! Thanks for sharing.

I'm interested in using the X9 for collecting data for around 5 powerline structure spans approximately 500 feet apart from each other. Would the X9 be a good instrument choice?
Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Post by Jamesrye »

andrewf91 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:37 pm That is incredible! Thanks for sharing.

I'm interested in using the X9 for collecting data for around 5 powerline structure spans approximately 500 feet apart from each other. Would the X9 be a good instrument choice?
We scan powerlines regularly and I am always on the lookout for a light scanner that can resolve details near the top of tall transmission towers. I have tested the following scanners - scanning the same 50m tall transmission tower.

BLK360 - when the tower is even slightly wet, you get not returns! Its like the tower wasn't there. Even when it's dry, the data is very poor. But that's not what the scanner is designed for.
Trimble X12 - lots of noise, lack of detail. Very poor results.
Trimble X9 - Decent results, but lack of detail near the tops of the tallest towers.
RTC360 - Really good, able to isolate bolts near tower top (X9 could not resolve them), some range noise. Nice data.
Leica P40/50 - Incredible detail, though lugging it over difficult terrain means you need the backpack (and some muscle!). Needed for the very tallest towers, or where distant range is needed.

Return to “Trimble”