2km Pipe Run

Discuss all GeoSlam related products here.
boxel0
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lewis Boxer
Company Details: Advanced 3D Laser Solutions Ltd
Company Position Title: Technical Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

2km Pipe Run

Post by boxel0 »

Hi All,

We have been asked to do a survey of a pipe run, which runs roughly 2km, we typically use terrestrial laser scanners like Trimble X7 and the Faro Focus'

But using a normal laser scanner, on a piper un like this will price us out of the job, whcih made me wonder if sometyhing like a geoslam or navvis might work well?

Has anyone had any experience, using a geoslam across such a distance?
Lewis Boxer
Advanced 3D Laser Solutions Ltd
Technical Director
e: [email protected]
w: www.lasersurveying.com
VXGrid
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Martin Graner
Company Details: PointCab GmbH
Company Position Title: Research and Development
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: 2km Pipe Run

Post by VXGrid »

Depending on the accuarcy you need, if you insert control points to the network with stop and go georeferencing it should work out okayish.

Keep in mind that SLAM works best if there are many natural features in all directions, if there is only the pipe and the floor, the result might be unexpected...
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

boxel0 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:57 am Hi All,

We have been asked to do a survey of a pipe run, which runs roughly 2km, we typically use terrestrial laser scanners like Trimble X7 and the Faro Focus'

But using a normal laser scanner, on a piper un like this will price us out of the job, whcih made me wonder if sometyhing like a geoslam or navvis might work well?

Has anyone had any experience, using a geoslam across such a distance?
I've seen some excellent client results from NavVis recently. For a pipe run you will really need external control, ideally traversed and possibly levelled but taken with RTK as a bare minimum. Accurate documented positions are very important for pipes that will be covered over in future and levels become very important if the pipes relate to drainage. This is where the external control comes into play where an IMU isn't going to be up to the job by itself.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technology

Post by TommyMaddox »

Rent a riegl for the day,

I would recommend shooting control too, 2km run is long enough to where you'd end up with a circle instead of a line for some devices :D
MarkJLane
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mark Lane
Company Details: Faro Technologies
Company Position Title: ANZ Account Manager

Post by MarkJLane »

boxel0 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:57 am Has anyone had any experience, using a geoslam across such a distance?
It's not uncommon for me to scan such distances with the ZEB Horizon.

You can use control points or GPS trajectory to adjust SLAM trajectory to control and georeference.

Relevant examples...
Ski slope
Railway
Car mounted road
Car mounted powerlines
Boat mounted bridge

All the above examples were scanned in <1 hour
Mark Lane
Sydney, Australia
TLS Tools
GeoSLAM
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by smacl »

MarkJLane wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:42 am
boxel0 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:57 am Has anyone had any experience, using a geoslam across such a distance?

You can use control points or GPS trajectory to adjust SLAM trajectory to control and georeference.

Relevant examples...
Ski slope
Railway
Car mounted road
Car mounted powerlines
Boat mounted bridge

Hi Mark,

Any backpack examples for a linear topographic job? The data in the car mounted road job is too sparse for feature extraction and similarly the rail job is too noisy to clearly see the rail head in either plan or section. I know that Geoslam improved their noise reduction techniques reasonably recently and wonder whether these data sets are from previous iterations? For the trench survey in question, I guess Lewis would need to give us an idea of required absolute and relative accuracy in both plan and elevation i order to figure out appropriate method and equipment.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ioannis Papas
Company Details: techical office
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: -

Post by Ioannis »

MarkJLane wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:42 am

Relevant examples...
Ski slope
Railway
Car mounted road
Car mounted powerlines
Boat mounted bridge

I have spoke with geoslam support and told me that their devices has no the ability to correct the drifting only to georeferenced it.
MarkJLane
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by MarkJLane »

smacl wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:46 am Hi Mark,

Any backpack examples for a linear topographic job? The data in the car mounted road job is too sparse for feature extraction and similarly the rail job is too noisy to clearly see the rail head in either plan or section. I know that Geoslam improved their noise reduction techniques reasonably recently and wonder whether these data sets are from previous iterations? For the trench survey in question, I guess Lewis would need to give us an idea of required absolute and relative accuracy in both plan and elevation i order to figure out appropriate method and equipment.
With the Horizon, the density of the scan is a function of the speed of the scan and the distance to that surface. Car mounted scans are great for surveying street scapes, including facades, powerlines, etc. But if I need higher density I simply slow down or move closer to that feature.

The new filters in GeoSLAM Connect reduce much of the noise typical of mobile scanning. Since the filters are a relatively new feature, many of the older web-hosted sample scans haven't been processed with the new noise filters yet.

Some more relavant example scans. Please note these web-hosted scans stream in over time, sometimes taking a while for greater detail.
Handheld train station
Backpack streetscape
Car mount 3km
Mark Lane
Sydney, Australia
TLS Tools
GeoSLAM
MarkJLane
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by MarkJLane »

Ioannis wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:53 am I have spoke with geoslam support and told me that their devices has no the ability to correct the drifting only to georeferenced it.
This may have been the case in the past, but applying a non-rigid adjustment of the scan to the control file is a common workflow in GeoSLAM Connect :like:
Mark Lane
Sydney, Australia
TLS Tools
GeoSLAM
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by smacl »

MarkJLane wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:34 pmWith the Horizon, the density of the scan is a function of the speed of the scan and the distance to that surface. Car mounted scans are great for surveying street scapes, including facades, powerlines, etc. But if I need higher density I simply slow down or move closer to that feature.

The new filters in GeoSLAM Connect reduce much of the noise typical of mobile scanning. Since the filters are a relatively new feature, many of the older web-hosted sample scans haven't been processed with the new noise filters yet.

Some more relavant example scans. Please note these web-hosted scans stream in over time, sometimes taking a while for greater detail.
Handheld train station
Backpack streetscape
Car mount 3km
Thanks Mark, those Car mount 3km and Backpack streetscape jobs are considerably better than the previously linked samples. Could I get you to send me a copy of the LAS/LAZ or E57 file associated with them along with trajectory file and any particulars on mountings used, data capture speed etc... I have a client currently looking for a mobile mapping solution which can be used on backpack, vehicle, drone etc... and this is looking far more like a feasible solution now.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module

Return to “GeoSLAM”