I have made 70-80 posts
I have made 70-80 posts
Full Name: David Cacioppo
Company Details: Park Ridge Police Department
Company Position Title: Patrol Officer and Forensic Technician
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: This "seams" wrong.....

Post by dcacioppo »

I truly appreciate all the responses. Closer inspection in 3D view does not show an issue. It would appear that this seam is somewhat common. We also have a thin sliver of missing data above the scanner that Faro says is also normal due to the internal compensation process. We have had this scanner for around 6 years and had never seen this before, so it was a little concerning. The calibration did tighten up the mismatch in the overlap (and to be honest it was overdue for calibration). I am starting to wonder if software updates have made this issue more prevalent than in the past.

I borrowed an S series scanner and found the same seam issue. I also learned about a setting in the old Scene interface. After changing to the old user interface, going to Tools on the top bar, holding shift and selecting Options, there should be a new window that has a 'Special' tab, that allows to show or not show overlapping areas in planar view. This option may make this look way more visible or less visible in planar view when checked or unchecked. It didn't make too much of a difference for me, but it might for someone else.
Nickel1
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Nick Worrell
Company Details: Atlantic Laser Scanning Services Inc
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: This "seams" wrong.....

Post by Nickel1 »

All great information, thank you all.
We were told it was a calibration issue when this happened with our 120 units, then the X330 units. Its good to know there are ways to check it in 3D
Nick Worrell
President
Atlantic Laser Scanning Services Inc.
Rental Provider of FARO 3D Laser Scanners
FARO Training
New Smyrna Beach, FL
(800) 955-3960
atlanticlaserscanning.com

Return to “FARO”