I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Wade Taber
Company Details: Taber Technologie LLC
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Scanner Recommendation Request

Post by wade.taber »

Greetings All -

I've been lurking about on the forums for a few months now. I'd like to request some advice regarding a new scanner purchase that I am hoping to make in the near future.

I have a small consulting business where my primary activity is the inspection of various chemical process vessels for a variety of clients. My main focus is the condition of the refractory brickwork inside these high-temperature vessels (but they are cool while I'm inside). Most of these vessels are cylindrical, with maybe 1-2m diameter and 2-4m in height.

Two years ago, I purchased an Artec Leo, and I have used it with moderate success. For some of my applications, it works great, however, I find that I lose registration a fair amount when moving around and scanning larger vessels. For this reason, I'm looking at getting a tripod-mounted unit to make 360deg scans at various elevations within these vessels.

With that in mind, I've researched a few different scanners, and I'd like your advice any which direction to go. I'm looking for something as lightweight/compact as possible, with +/- 1mm (or less) accuracy at < 5m. I'd prefer a price range in the 10-30K USD range for new or used in good condition. Here are some of the questions I have:

- Considering a Leica BLK360, but concerned about the accuracy. I've only seen the spec sheets that provide values at 10-50m... can better accuracy (+/- 1mm or less) be achieved at shorter ranges (2-3m)?

- The Leica BLK2GO seems like the accuracy is improved. I don't really need the ability to scan while moving and the price tag is a bit high. Thoughts on this vs the BLK360?

- Can the Leica BLK series be used upside down? Sideways? Sometimes I'm in tight spaces and need to consider different mounting and scanning orientations.

- I like what I've seen of the Faro Focus series, especially the S150 Plus or similar. The accuracy seems to be good, and the IP54 rating (I realize other scanners have this also) is also nice. Thoughts on this scanner? Other Faro's to consider?

- I've used the Artec Ray (Surphaser clone) with great success. Just a bit too bulky and heavy for my typical application.

- Since I have the Artec Leo, I already have the Artec Studio Software and a spec-built PC workstation to manipulate my scans. Whichever scanner is next, it would be nice if it would place nice with the Leo. I believe Artec Studio can import point clouds from other scanners with a bit of file conversion.

- I need the new scanner's eco-system of software to be friendly and hopefully in-expensive. As mentioned, I have Artec Studio, as well as Autodesk and Solidworks products. I'm fine with changing up my workflows a bit, but I don't want to be locked into another annual software expense without good reason.

Thanks in advance for your help!
JNally
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Joe Nally
Company Details: EPS
Company Position Title: Lead Surveyor

Re: Scanner Recommendation Request

Post by JNally »

Personally I wouldnt touch a BLK360 ever again, It was very hit and miss (more miss) and when trying to connect it to a higher end scanner ( A P40 in my case) it didnt give the most confidence in the data. A used Faro S70 is a good shout, and Scene is very user friendly. That would be the best in that price range I would think.
INV_Scanning
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Sebastian Winkler
Company Details: INVERS Industrievermessung und Systeme
Company Position Title: Project Engineer

Post by INV_Scanning »

I´d also prefer a Focus for those kind of applications.
A good in between scanner regarding portability, accuracy and workflow.

With the new Premium Series you might have luck and get a S-Series CPO-Unit or Ex-Demo unit with some discount.
TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technology

Post by TommyMaddox »

We've done a lot of vessel analysis reporting in BuildIt with our S series fleet, works great. Have two for sale as well if you're looking to move in that direction.
mikajahkola
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Mika Jahkola
Company Details: Myymore Oy
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by mikajahkola »

BLK360 works all right upside down and I have even once scanned with the scanner mounted 90 degrees sideways.
First thing you should do if you would go for a BLK 360 is get a decent tripod. We have used it with the standard Faro tripod (ACCSS8997).
However, I would not use BLK360 for the type of work you describe. Accuracy is an issue. The ranging noise of BLK360 is several millimeters even in good conditions, and on short distances (1.5 m or less) it is higher. Near minimum range (0.8 m if I remember right) you get very distorted results.

A Faro S series scanner would give better and more stable results, although 1 mm true accuracy could be a bit optimistic.
Even Faro has problems on short range - the accuracy might not be what you expect if you try to scan something just 1 metre away.
Faro too works fine upside down.

Return to “General Chat”