V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Faro Scene C2C wishlist

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

Hi,

This has been discussed many times, but I feel this should be on the top every few months so it gets noticed. This is in my opinion the one and only thing faro should currently be working on and would be the greatest update they could ever do to their software.

Faro if you see this. Please make the Cloud2Cloud algorithm use targets in its weight(and inclinometer would be great as well). I can imagine so many times this would be usefull and would allow us to do some more complexe jobs. Just to clarify more on this, the c2c would mold to given targets. It could be checkerboards surveyed with a total station pushing the c2c drift in the right position. It could also simply be an improved targetbased that would use targets when available or only the c2c algorithm with point overlap if not. This would effectivelly become an ''optimize'' type of option for some surveys.

Thanks,
sreed
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Reed
Company Details: Prologue Systems
Company Position Title: Principal
Skype Name: sabotva
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Faro Scene C2C wishlist

Post by sreed »

YES! YES! A hundred times YES. Until this feature is incorporated, C2C is a non-starter for our work (with light exceptions).
I've mentioned this to countless Faro reps and they all say its coming or they're working on it. I do think that Faro shouldn't overlook the "survey grade" functionalities of Scene in the interest of simplicity. Provides for nice brochure literature to say "no targets, simple one button registration", but that will drive the discerning customers to other solutions.

C2C registration with forced honoring of survey control is a MUST HAVE for Faro and Scene. Rigid C2C bundle best fit is not a solution.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

sreed wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:06 pm YES! YES! A hundred times YES. Until this feature is incorporated, C2C is a non-starter for our work (with light exceptions).
I've mentioned this to countless Faro reps and they all say its coming or they're working on it. I do think that Faro shouldn't overlook the "survey grade" functionalities of Scene in the interest of simplicity. Provides for nice brochure literature to say "no targets, simple one button registration", but that will drive the discerning customers to other solutions.

C2C registration with forced honoring of survey control is a MUST HAVE for Faro and Scene. Rigid C2C bundle best fit is not a solution.
A solution for this is to register in Pointcab if you use targets and spheres. This registration goes the geodetic way. Much more convenient for anyone looking for a survey grade solution.

But most scanning companies don't care about this, it's just the nice images that count, whether they are correctly registered or not.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

I agree with the above. The continued lack of any sort reference constrained cloud to cloud registration in Scene is one of the reasons it remains little more than a glorified pre-processor for us.
Jed
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

When i see the latest development in a post by Oliver you see enough. All development is in fancy tablet stuff, not in the core registration part.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
SAttaya
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: SAttaya
Company Details: Sev1Tech
Company Position Title: Sr Software Analyst-RemoteSensingEngr
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by SAttaya »

As long as this is a wishlist, we'd like to see
the ability to do a C2C on a one (or a set?) of clipping boxes.

Process would be do whatever registration you want on a group of scans
and then at the cluster level (maybe a cluster of clusters, whatever),
create a clipping box and do a c2c just on the data in that clipping
box.

(Can do this now if:
1. do all the steps including creating the clipping box,
2. then saving the project,
3. delete everything outside of the clipping box,
4.c2c the clipping box, and
5.then....get all of the transformations/rotations
applied to the individual scans and clusters back into the saved project
that was created after the clipping box was created and before everything
outside of the clipping box was deleted.)

This gets rid of all the transients that are in some of the scans,
also problems with accuracy of points at longer ranges that you
want to include, but not for registration purposes, etc.
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

In similar waters as to what you a proposing SAttaya,
Right click option on selected points/clipping box and ability to ''exclude'' points from beeing used in a c2c registration.
This could be used on grass/trees/wet areas/etc
This would avoid having to delete and recover points.

I also do similar to what you are doing by deleting the points, but instead of copying 1 by 1. I do a clean and compact project before deleting the points so all the .fls and .fpc files are in the same revision folder (lets say revision 10). Delete problematic points (that I want in the final deliverables). Save (revision 11). Register the scan correctly. Save (revision 12). Close the project. Then I copy the .fls and .fpc that I backed up from revision 10 into the revision 11 folders. Then when opening back the project, revision 12 will open and all scan will be registered and points recovered.
Augusto 3D
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: C-Augusto
Company Details: 3d scanning
Company Position Title: USA

Post by Augusto 3D »

Leandre Robitaille wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:56 pm In similar waters as to what you a proposing SAttaya,
Right click option on selected points/clipping box and ability to ''exclude'' points from beeing used in a c2c registration.
This could be used on grass/trees/wet areas/etc
This would avoid having to delete and recover points.

I also do similar to what you are doing by deleting the points, but instead of copying 1 by 1. I do a clean and compact project before deleting the points so all the .fls and .fpc files are in the same revision folder (lets say revision 10). Delete problematic points (that I want in the final deliverables). Save (revision 11). Register the scan correctly. Save (revision 12). Close the project. Then I copy the .fls and .fpc that I backed up from revision 10 into the revision 11 folders. Then when opening back the project, revision 12 will open and all scan will be registered and points recovered.
wow, what a work around man.. I will have to try tomorrow. It is true though, I was registering a building with TONS of trees and I wish I could deleted them from the c2c.

Its funning that this thread popped up and validated what I have been thinkng lately, I use scene to get a quick pre-registration C2C but I am doing most of the real work with Trimble real works. The only thing that I like about Scene is that is can try to quickly register via top-down muliple scans (its quick) whereas in other software like Trimble Real works and Cyclone (at least the BLK version I used) its all manual 100. Scan, per scan.
ProCro
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Nino Skupnjak
Company Details: SKIMI64
Company Position Title: procurator

Post by ProCro »

There is simple solution in which you don't even need to clean point cloud. We could simply select unwanted points and disable them for registration/visualisation/ppc creation/export. You can also apply masks on filters. No need to delete points at all. ZF LC has this type of data filtering for years and it works great.

You could create edge mask, stray mask, dark point mask, user defined mask, you name it...

This solution would eliminate numerous revisions and long saving.
Augusto 3D
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: C-Augusto
Company Details: 3d scanning
Company Position Title: USA

Post by Augusto 3D »

ProCro wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:29 pm There is simple solution in which you don't even need to clean point cloud. We could simply select unwanted points and disable them for registration/visualisation/ppc creation/export. You can also apply masks on filters. No need to delete points at all. ZF LC has this type of data filtering for years and it works great.

You could create edge mask, stray mask, dark point mask, user defined mask, you name it...

This solution would eliminate numerous revisions and long saving.
This doesnt exist in Scene at the moment does it...?
I know that this is also in cyclone.

Return to “FARO SCENE”