I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Darren Hardy
Company Details: Counters In Shape
Company Position Title: Counters In Shape
Linkedin Profile: No

Stone fireplace

Post by dhkp15 »

Hi,
I just recently got the entry level BLK360 in the hopes of scanning floor to ceiling resedential fireplaces in order to apply full granite or quartz slabs on the face and sides with the corners mitred together. I am trying to firgure out my work flow and what software to use. The ceiling, walls, and floor all need to be scribed, the faces of the existing walls to to take into account for the furthest point (bowed studs) as well as the thickness of the mortar used.

I am currently using a Flexijet to accomplish this and it is working OK but all the measurements are point to point and it is easy to miss a bowed stud or not align the sides correctly. My final goal would be to be able to extract the faces of the fireplace, apply the stone facade, export the final CAD 2D drawing to the CNC department and perhaps even make a 3D model to show the clients what the finished fireplace will look like as well as being able to change the colours of the stone if necessary. Is this possible and if so what software would you recommend?
Mike Annear
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mike Annear
Company Details: The Yard Brisbane
Company Position Title: Manager - 3D Design and Scanning
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Stone fireplace

Post by Mike Annear »

Hi,
Rhino 3D will easily do what you are after, it is relatively cheap and easy to learn.
I use it for 99 percent of my work.
I am not too sure about using a BLK360 for what you are doing.
The BLK360 has 6mm accuracy @ 10m, and the data isn't that clean.
I imagine granite or quartz slabs are pretty expensive, your measurements would need to be spot on.
Mike.
Mike Annear
www.mikeannear.com
QLD, Australia.
dhkp15
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Darren Hardy
Company Details: Counters In Shape
Company Position Title: Counters In Shape
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Stone fireplace

Post by dhkp15 »

Thanks for your reply, you confirmed my suspicions. I will use it in combination with my Matterport to do walkthroughs as my side business and use it for fairly accurate 3D models. For modeling, it should only need 2 scans for a 3 sided fireplace and at most 4 for a 4 sided one so it won't take me much longer to scan it while I measure with the flexijet. Appreciate the advice for Rhino

Return to “Leica Geosystems”