I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Patrick Brand
Company Details: DUT
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Clipping Box in Sub-Cluster

Post by Plaete »

Hello,

Scene does not behave as I expected. Just wanted to check if that is a bug or feature or if I am doing something wrong.

I have a subset of clusters and one of these (sub-) clusters has a clipping box which exludes inner points.

1) Cluster A
2) Cluster B
2.1) Cluster B1
2.1) Cluster B1 Clipping Box (exlude inner points)
3) Cluster C

I expected the points which are in Cluster B1 to be invisible due to the Clipping box on the same level. In fact, that works... kind of... because also the points which are from scans/pointcluds in Cluster B & C and which fall inside the clipping box from cluster B1 gets invisible.

Example:
Excluding clipping box is in cluster "Zentrifugen_c2c" and I would like to have some cableways excluded. The same scanned cableways should be visible from the scans I_044 & I_048.
clusterfuck.JPG

I have no project-pointcloud but every scan has its own scanpointcloud. Deleting the points is not an option, the excluding of points should only be temporary for visualisation.
Has someone a workaround for that behavior? I checked it with Scene 2021.3, 2021.2 & 2020
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pomped
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Pompe
Company Details: FARO
Company Position Title: Team Lead Software Engineering
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Clipping Box in Sub-Cluster

Post by pomped »

Hi Patrick,

I can confirm the behavior. It is not a bug although it might be unexpected.

If you open a 3D view in SCENE it will collect everything in the model structure below (and including) the view object. If clipping boxes are part of a 3D view they will just clip every point cloud that is also visible independent of where it is in the structure. So it is not possible for a certain volume to just clip points of one scan, unfortunately. The behavior for multiple clipping boxes is complex as it also includes the order of creation for technical reasons.

I think I found a workaround for your concrete problem that includes a workflow trick that might be useful (not exactly what you are asking for, but close):
In your structure you are missing level 0), typically the default folder called "Scans". What you can do: Drag and drop the ClippingBoxes folder from within cluster B to the top-level cluster Scans (you can do the same with single clipping boxes once you have a matching folder). But, don't do it with the left mouse button, but use the right one. This will open a small dialog if you drop. Choose "copy, keep position" to get an exact copy at the new location. Now select the copied clipping box and change its mode to "hide exterior".
This will result in the following behavior:
1. A 3D view on "Cluster B" will hide parts of "Cluster B1" as defined by the "Cluster B1 Clipping Box" (the copied clipping box is not part of that view because it is above the view root).
2. A 3D view opened on cluster "Scans" does show all points including those of Cluster B1.

Hope this helps!

Return to “FARO SCENE”