I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Vyacheslav Yurchenko
Company Details: ST-Vision
Company Position Title: Technical Director
Skype Name: Slavikus_Astana
Linkedin Profile: No

RTC360 and Ricoh Theta Z1

Post by SlavikusAstana »

Is it possible to connect a Ricoh Theta Z1 panoramic camera to an Leica RTC360 scanner in order to scan without panoramas, but the point cloud was colored in RGB colors?
Laser scanning, panoramic shooting
Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ioannis Papas
Company Details: techical office
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: -
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: RTC360 and Ricoh Theta Z1

Post by Ioannis »

Why this RTC is already too fast..
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown

Post by badam »

Ioannis wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:28 pm Why this RTC is already too fast..
image quality/color accuracy.. RTC/reg360 has really bad hdr colors and image quality. They overprocess the whole thing and gives really bad colors, like yellow paints on white wall. image issues in corners, etc.

But i suppose it will not worth the extra work to recolor/align your cloud after export.

this is done by ricoh theta Z1
https://www.parlament.hu/web/orszaghaz/ ... helyszinei
SlavikusAstana
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts

Post by SlavikusAstana »

if you only need to make measurements and the number of stations is more than a thousand, then I would choose the option of scanning without panoramas, since the obtained data will be much easier and it will turn out to be processed much faster.
RJGEOMATICS
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bart Man
Company Details: Laser Scanning
Company Position Title: Passionate about making amazing PCs

Post by RJGEOMATICS »

SlavikusAstana wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:13 am
if you only need to make measurements and the number of stations is more than a thousand, then I would choose the option of scanning without panoramas, since the obtained data will be much easier and it will turn out to be processed much faster.
You are so correct. Despite Color only being 1 minute a station. even on a project of 500 scans, that is 500 minutes minimum of extra time. Which in many cases would mean an extra night of hotels, meals, travel and time...

Ans again you are correct on the increased processing times. Not to mention the increased data. Color adds so much data handling to even the best of computers.

On projects up to 100 scans. Sure do them in color. After 100 scans, a decision really needs be made for cost benefit analysis of color. And also in dull environments, like concrete, or roads etc. color really adds little value and truly intensity view looks much better.

Technically we could color with Ricoh Theta in Agisoft Metashoaper Pro. Like in all honesty basically PanoCam by Faro is nothing more than some Line Coding and a little firmware. There is nothing revolutionary about PanoCam itself. And any scanner on the market you could take the registered data, bring it into Metashpaper apply texture colors from the Ricoh Theta, or any other camera for that matter.

This picture may look funny. But really this is all PanoCam is, with some firmware, a direct connection and a little line coding inside of Scene.
BLK360 Pano Cam.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

RJGEOMATICS wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:08 pm
SlavikusAstana wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:13 am
You are so correct. Despite Color only being 1 minute a station. even on a project of 500 scans, that is 500 minutes minimum of extra time. Which in many cases would mean an extra night of hotels, meals, travel and time...

Ans again you are correct on the increased processing times. Not to mention the increased data. Color adds so much data handling to even the best of computers.

On projects up to 100 scans. Sure do them in color. After 100 scans, a decision really needs be made for cost benefit analysis of color. And also in dull environments, like concrete, or roads etc. color really adds little value and truly intensity view looks much better.

Technically we could color with Ricoh Theta in Agisoft Metashoaper Pro. Like in all honesty basically PanoCam by Faro is nothing more than some Line Coding and a little firmware. There is nothing revolutionary about PanoCam itself. And any scanner on the market you could take the registered data, bring it into Metashpaper apply texture colors from the Ricoh Theta, or any other camera for that matter.

This picture may look funny. But really this is all PanoCam is, with some firmware, a direct connection and a little line coding inside of Scene.

BLK360 Pano Cam.jpeg
The discussion about coloring.... Only in heritage buildings or sites is this a good feature to do.

For other buildings maybe the exterior in color but interior is a no go. As rj says it adds to the size of the pointcloud and takes more processing time.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
blazaj
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jiri Blazek
Company Details: BW precision systems sro
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by blazaj »

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:19 pm
The discussion about coloring.... Only in heritage buildings or sites is this a good feature to do.

For other buildings maybe the exterior in color but interior is a no go. As rj says it adds to the size of the pointcloud and takes more processing time.
Agreed. I occasionally use Theta 360 cam for quick HDR low-res panoramas, DSLR+fisheye for standard scan resolution good quality panoramas and even Gigapan hi-res panos for detailed scans. But in most cases B/W scans with good external photo documentation are all you need for modeling or drafting. Can't recommend more a camera with good image stabilization + wide apperture lens. My Olympus with 8mm f/1.8 fisheye lens lets me take sharp handheld shots up to 2sec shutter speed in near darkness. No need for HDR as it's not 360deg but still wide enough (180deg diagonally) to cover any space in 1-2 shots.
SlavikusAstana
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts

Post by SlavikusAstana »

blazaj wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:49 pm
landmeterbeuckx wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:19 pm

Agreed. I occasionally use Theta 360 cam for quick HDR low-res panoramas.........
viewtopic.php?f=117&t=18203&p=95493#p95493 - if you look at one of my messages, you will understand that I also have a lot of experience in shooting panoramas, the question was a little different, but thanks.
Dirkie2710
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Dirkie Uys
Company Details: Landpartners
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Skype Name: duaus

Post by Dirkie2710 »

Regarding the colour vs no colour.

All my scans are always colour. Contracted to aviation facility and whether indoor or outdoor the want colour. Outdoor (airfields) not so much but roads -> colour, interior -> colour, roofs -> colour. Reason being it's not just the architect or consultant using my clouds.

Example : I'm asked to capture a section of the baggage reclaims that's being refurbished and ceiling is removed to get the underside of slab and some piping changed. Person who needs it is architect who is updating floorplans and levels. I give the final data across. The mechanical draftsmen get included and want to see my data. They know of the project and wanted to update the mechanical plans (pipes,HVAC) and were planning on doing an inspection but since it's been scanned that's better. If they don't have the info, and it's easy to get to they would just use photos and a disto. Luckily I scanned in colour so the pipe info (red = fire, black = waste, blue = pottable etc) is captured and they can use it not just for mechanical but also electrical and fire teams.

I completely get why others don't scan in colour, but we don't have the choice. 95% of scans are colour.

Yes it takes longer (depending on size and use) but 5 different teams use that info and instead of wasting time for each of them to go and have a look, take photos, it's all been done by me and documented.

I agree the RTC images are weird and HDR is iffy at best, but it's better than nothing. The P-series images are incredibly slow (10min/setup) so I have after a long time of wanting a better solution and lots of R&D, come up with a simple yet effective solution. No Theta Z1s or nodal ninja and parallax is minimal. Still needs a bit of tweaking. Using P50 scanner at 3.1mm @10m (3min24sec/scan) + image solution I can do 100+ scans a day. No photoshop or ptgui to stitch, and image is ~130MP. Previously doing 100 scans @ 3.1mm in colour would be minimum ~14min/scan. That's now down to ~4min (including scan time). Office processing is simple. Download images from USB, load files into provided software and out comes a JPG that I load into cyclone overnight and when I'm back I have coloured scans.

So yes colour is slower, but when you need to there are ways of making it quicker. The below project covered about 200 000sq m and was just over 1000 scans (about half P-series and half RTC). So 500 scans on P-series at 14min is ~15days or new method ~4 maybe ~5days.

Extra office in processing images is reduced because processing runs in background while actual work gets done.

See example below. Had to subsample the image to get it uploaded here. Actual image is around 40Mb per image. The "One Way" sign is about 20m from the scanner for context.Zoomed section is in right in the overall image.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Leica Geosystems”