Scan Locations not visible in Recap

Discuss all Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360 software here.
JimmyG
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Jim Gerrard
Company Details: Gerrards Design and Drafting Inc
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Scan Locations not visible in Recap

Post by JimmyG »

Hello LSF Community

I'm new to this, so please be gentle.

We have been using the BLK 360 along with Register 360 (BLK) edition for 9 months now. Our work flow is to register the scans in Register 360 (BLK) then export as an RCP file, that we would open up in Recap Pro and Revit. Initially, when opening the RCP file in recap we could see the mirror balls (scan locations) and click on the location to view the Panoramic images and scan information. See image below of a RCP file created in January 2021.
Before Scan.jpg
It seems that since the June 14/21 (I believe it was then) Register 360 (BLK) update, we are not able to view the mirror ball locations in Recap any more. See image below of the same RCP file exported in August 2021.
After Scan.jpg
I have checked various settings in Recap, and in Register 360 (BLK), (such as visibility of mirror balls, which is on) but cannot find how to resolve this problem. Perhaps there was a change in some Register 360 (BLK) settings, but I cannot find a way to turn the scan location back on in Recap, or while I export in Register 360 (BLK).

Further, if I look at the various support folders where the cloud data is saved, I can see in the January Scans .diff, .llt, .rcc , and .thumbnail files in addition to the .rcs and .rcp files. Since the June update, all of these files have been removed, and only the .rcs files remain.

Viewing scan locations and registration of scans work effectively while in Register 360 (BLK), so I am thinking the problem is related to the exporting of the RCP file.

I have been querying the internet to see if there is a solution, however, I cannot seem to find one. Has anyone else been experiencing the same problem? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix?

I appreciate your replies,

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RJGEOMATICS
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bart Man
Company Details: Laser Scanning
Company Position Title: Passionate about making amazing PCs
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Scan Locations not visible in Recap

Post by RJGEOMATICS »

JimmyG wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:19 pm Hello LSF Community

We have been using the BLK 360 along with Register 360 (BLK) edition for 9 months now. Our work flow is to register the scans in Register 360 (BLK) then export as an RCP file, that we would open up in Recap Pro and Revit. Initially, when opening the RCP file in recap we could see the mirror balls (scan locations) and click on the location to view the Panoramic images and scan information. See image below of a RCP file created in January 2021.Before Scan.jpg

It seems that since the June 14/21 (I believe it was then) Register 360 (BLK) update, we are not able to view the mirror ball locations in Recap any more. See image below of the same RCP file exported in August 2021.After Scan.jpg I have checked various settings in Recap, and in Register 360 (BLK), (such as visibility of mirror balls, which is on) but cannot find how to resolve this problem. Perhaps there was a change in some Register 360 (BLK) settings, but I cannot find a way to turn the scan location back on in Recap, or while I export in Register 360 (BLK).

Further, if I look at the various support folders where the cloud data is saved, I can see in the January Scans .diff, .llt, .rcc , and .thumbnail files in addition to the .rcs and .rcp files. Since the June update, all of these files have been removed, and only the .rcs files remain.

Viewing scan locations and registration of scans work effectively while in Register 360 (BLK), so I am thinking the problem is related to the exporting of the RCP file.

I have been querying the internet to see if there is a solution, however, I cannot seem to find one. Has anyone else been experiencing the same problem? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix?

Jim
Can't confirm... We run Publisher Pro, with full Regiser360 and have had no issues. recently exported a project of just over 800 scans all registered into a single bundle with no issues.

Are you checking the box on Finalize to export as separate stations?

Now all that being said... It wouldn't surprise me if the free ride of separate stations is over with BLK Edition, and you are required to have a Publisher license if you actually want the separate stations.

We do provide Registration as a service with the exports.

www.3dls.xyz
JimmyG
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by JimmyG »

Thanks for the options. I have checked and can confirm the following:

I have clicked on "accept" then "accept" in the finalize tab. no other options exist for me under this tab
finalize.jpg
Then, under the Publish options, I have tried both options of RCP (Cloud) [saves RCP file as one file with not separation of each setup] and RCP (Cloud) [which saves as one cloud file with each set up registered separately]. unfortunately both options do not work.
Publish.jpg
I too am concerned that they keep removing functionality from the Register 360 (BLK) version and limiting it to the full Register 360 only version. The export to LGS option has been removed long time ago (from what I have heard)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RJGEOMATICS
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bart Man
Company Details: Laser Scanning
Company Position Title: Passionate about making amazing PCs

Post by RJGEOMATICS »

JimmyG wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:54 am Thanks for the options. I have checked and can confirm the following:

I have clicked on "accept" then "accept" in the finalize tab. no other options exist for me under this tab finalize.jpg

Then, under the Publish options, I have tried both options of RCP (Cloud) [saves RCP file as one file with not separation of each setup] and RCP (Cloud) [which saves as one cloud file with each set up registered separately]. unfortunately both options do not work. Publish.jpg

I too am concerned that they keep removing functionality from the Register 360 (BLK) version and limiting it to the full Register 360 only version. The export to LGS option has been removed long time ago (from what I have heard)
In Leica's defense. It isn't so much remove functionality The BLK360 was not really a Leica Product in the idealistic sensei, just as much an Autodesk release as a Leica release. Then when Autodesk dropped support, despite being the joint launch, Leica offered the BLK edition at a substantially reduced price point, giving people a year to transition from the loss of support from Autodesk.

With Full Cyclone Core and Register360 we have always required a version of Publisher license to do any kind of ReCAP or LGS/TruView exports. So that BLK Edition, even gave it as a favor was a sore point with us, that pay for full licenses, as we run multiple different scanners on projects.

Thus Basically Leica gave a nice cushiony transfer period for BLK owners to discover the power of Register360 over ReCAP. Now that little free gift is going away, and will need pay up Even the price of BLK Edition keeps increasing. Won't be long till the only option is Register360.
VXGrid
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Martin Graner
Company Details: PointCab GmbH
Company Position Title: Research and Development

Post by VXGrid »

JimmyG wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:19 pm Hello LSF Community

[...]

Jim
Sorry I don't have a fix only a comment to your summary:
You are completely correct here: The Autodesk Format can safe point clouds structured (with mirrorballs) and unstructured (no mirrorballs / unified).
When the mentioned files, like .diff, .llt, .rcc etc are missing, then the file was written unstructured.
The .rcs files are the raw viewing point clouds, everything else is for the mirrorballs.

I would be very astouned if the structured export was removed from your version, perhaps you can try to install an older version of the software and retry?

I think the best way to proceed is to contact your Leica reseller.
VXGrid
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Martin Graner
Company Details: PointCab GmbH
Company Position Title: Research and Development

Post by VXGrid »

RJGEOMATICS wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:15 am
In Leica's defense. It isn't so much remove functionality The BLK360 was not really a Leica Product in the idealistic sensei, just as much an Autodesk release as a Leica release. Then when Autodesk dropped support, despite being the joint launch, Leica offered the BLK edition at a substantially reduced price point, giving people a year to transition from the loss of support from Autodesk.
[...]
Did Autodesk really drop the support or did the contract with Leica just expire and therefore the Autodesk products were discontinued?
Would love to hear some insights here from both sides :)
JimmyG
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by JimmyG »

Hello All,

Thank you for your insights. I did contact my reseller and they tried to replicate the problem on their end. They ran a few tests, and were able to get everything to work normally, as it should. That is to say, they did get the Mirror Balls to show up in Reacap while using Register 360 BLK.

I think that we (my reseller and I) found out that this is not a Register 360 BLK vs Full Register 360 issues, but rather one needs a 'Publisher Pro' add-on to the Register 360 BLK to Export to LGS, 360 Panoramic images and also to export to a RCP format that would include the Mirror Balls along with 360 panoramic images for Recap viewing. I've tried to search the Leica site to find out more information about Publisher Pro, and while I have not spent a huge amount of time searching, I have not easily found something that explains what and how this add-on is used.

I guess I am confused as to why Leica does not provide all the required software in one simple and easy to purchase service. Why do we need to purchase a Cyclone Subscription Base, and a Register 360 BLK, and a Publisher Pro license? To me, it seems like to much a-la-carte picking with no real full and complete package options.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

JimmyG wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:21 pm Hello All,

Thank you for your insights. I did contact my reseller and they tried to replicate the problem on their end. They ran a few tests, and were able to get everything to work normally, as it should. That is to say, they did get the Mirror Balls to show up in Reacap while using Register 360 BLK.

I think that we (my reseller and I) found out that this is not a Register 360 BLK vs Full Register 360 issues, but rather one needs a 'Publisher Pro' add-on to the Register 360 BLK to Export to LGS, 360 Panoramic images and also to export to a RCP format that would include the Mirror Balls along with 360 panoramic images for Recap viewing. I've tried to search the Leica site to find out more information about Publisher Pro, and while I have not spent a huge amount of time searching, I have not easily found something that explains what and how this add-on is used.

I guess I am confused as to why Leica does not provide all the required software in one simple and easy to purchase service. Why do we need to purchase a Cyclone Subscription Base, and a Register 360 BLK, and a Publisher Pro license? To me, it seems like to much a-la-carte picking with no real full and complete package options.
My buddy RJGEOMATICS told this in this thread.

This segmentation of Leica software is not only on their scanners but also on their total stations. All routines will have to be bought seperately.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

JimmyG wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:21 pmI guess I am confused as to why Leica does not provide all the required software in one simple and easy to purchase service. Why do we need to purchase a Cyclone Subscription Base, and a Register 360 BLK, and a Publisher Pro license? To me, it seems like to much a-la-carte picking with no real full and complete package options.
Very much the same experience here with one of my customers. I'd assumed LGS was a native format for all Leica products and was dismayed to find that it is actually a paid for extra in Reg-360.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module

Return to “Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360”