I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Vokrey
Company Details: SSB
Company Position Title: Project Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Integrating Survey Control Points into Workflow

Post by vokrey09 »

I have been using our Faro350s to generate point clouds of existing buildings. From there we model the existing in Revit. Not until recently have we been getting into different types of projects now where control points are being requested of us to set up for a Trimble total station to set up on after us.

Can someone please recommend a process that would allow me to set up these "semi" permanent points and how I would distribute that data for the Total Station user to set up on? (for outdoor projects as well as indoor)

My current idea (for indoor), is to leave behind a handful of paper targets. I noticed in AutoDesk's Recap software that you can select targets and set them as control points, however, I'm still unsure how I would export this data to our team to utilize it with their total station.

I am fairly new to this world of scanning so all help is appreciated. Thanks!
Emanuele
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Emanuele Ferrari
Company Details: Studio FERRARI
Company Position Title: Titolare
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Integrating Survey Control Points into Workflow

Post by Emanuele »

hi Vokrey,
The total station needs at least 3 points to orient itself correctly.
The position of the points depends on how the topographer will operate (he could orient himself directly or create his own support polygon).
The materialization can be done with topographic nails on the ground (which will be detected with the prism) or with targets attached to stable elements (detected with the EDM)
TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technology

Post by TommyMaddox »

vokrey09 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:58 pm I have been using our Faro350s to generate point clouds of existing buildings. From there we model the existing in Revit. Not until recently have we been getting into different types of projects now where control points are being requested of us to set up for a Trimble total station to set up on after us.

Can someone please recommend a process that would allow me to set up these "semi" permanent points and how I would distribute that data for the Total Station user to set up on? (for outdoor projects as well as indoor)

My current idea (for indoor), is to leave behind a handful of paper targets. I noticed in AutoDesk's Recap software that you can select targets and set them as control points, however, I'm still unsure how I would export this data to our team to utilize it with their total station.

I am fairly new to this world of scanning so all help is appreciated. Thanks!
This workflow is backwards. Total station should be going in first (or simultaneously) as the accuracy of establishing a control/target network with the total-station will exceed what is capable from a laser scanner leaving targets around for the total station to setup from. This also allows the survey crew to set orientation and alignment to either local coordinate system or geo.

If accuracy is of no concern there are a couple ways to do this.
1. Leave up checkerboard targets, you can get them printed on environmentally durable materials, labeled, and self adhesive backing.
Pros: Cheap and quick, cons: not super accurate, need an optimal incident angle to pick up

2. Use the ATS system, steel washer monuments screwed into floors/pillars/etc... You can use a regular sphere, and interchange a prism when it is time to take a total station shot. Because the points are fully center identical, you don't need to deal with offsets or do any other math.

Because you're also seemingly providing the survey crew with coordinates (which you will also be taking responsibility for data set orientation and alignment) once you complete your alignment and orientation, you can just go to the object property menus in SCENE to get the coordinates for extracted sphere or checkerboard targets and supply a CSV file to the crew.

EDIT: Competent surveyors can also transform the unaligned CSV of checkerboard or sphere coordinates you have given them to their setup shots but it's more work than needs to happen here

Again this workflow is backwards, and I don't recommend using it if anyone on the project cares about accuracy.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

I agree entirely with what Tommy has said above with respect to order. For accurate total station based control, I'd put up and clearly number all the wall mounted targets, establish primary control positions (i.e. positions where the total station will be setup, selected with as much overlapping visibility as possible), take traverse shots between setups (e.g. multiple rounds of backsight / foresight using tripods ideally closing in loop or forming a network), shoot all visible targets from each setup and adjust and fix the setup stations, then adjust all the paper targets as a network. I've seen jobs done where the primary control was skipped and the whole thing is done as a resection network which is quicker but can suffer badly from drift where there are long linear sections with no loops.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module

Return to “FARO SCENE”