Experience downloading and installing

Discuss Veesus software here, including those for Arena4D and the plug-ins for SolidWorks and Rhino.
JohnNPS8
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: John Wachtel
Company Details: Data Point Design
Company Position Title: Owner

Experience downloading and installing

Post by JohnNPS8 »

Am I the only one experiencing all sorts of warnings from my browsers and OS when downloading and installing any of the Veesus Softwares?

Chrome and Firefox both warn that the site is not secure, and automatically block the downloads when attempting. Specifically, it states that pc.cd has been reported as containing harmful software.

When pushing ahead (against my better judgement) and forcing the download, my antivirus software freaks out and warns against installing it as well.

I have the issue with VPC Creator, Arena4D, and Point Clouds for Rhino 6. Just hoping someone can let me know if I'm doing something wrong, or if anyone else has experienced the same thing.

Thanks in advance!
"Argument and discussion should make the agony of decision making so intense, you can only escape by thinking." -Fred Friendly
DavidL
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: David Lander
Company Details: Thames Valley Police Authority
Company Position Title: Crime Scene Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Experience downloading and installing

Post by DavidL »

Same for me too, was fine last month. I'm sure the Veesus team will sort this out promptly

I've just noticed the new vesrion 8 so will look forward to trying that out
Mark Christy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mark Christy
Company Details: Veesus Ltd Arena4D.
Company Position Title: Technology Director

Post by Mark Christy »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I have no idea why the browsers are flagging the downloads, I can only presume it is because we are using shortened URL's from our secure hosting area and they are being treated as "suspect". I've replaced the short URL's with standard URL's and the files are downloading fine now without any warnings.

I've downloaded all the installers to a "clean" machine away from the company network and run anti-virus across them all and they're all showing as clean.

Apologies once again for the inconvenience, but no idea why we've been struck with all these "false" "positives"... clearly it's Friday 13th!

Many Thanks

Mark
JohnNPS8
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts

Post by JohnNPS8 »

Mark,

Thanks for the taking the time to look into it. The downloads are now working fine through pCloud.

Installation still has Windows (Screenshot 1) and AVG sounding alarm bells. I'm attaching a couple of screenshots to clarify.

While installing VPC Creator I had an error window (see screenshot 2), and several AVG scans for "suspicious" files (screenshot 3). All the suspicious file scans resolve fine with a "safe" result (screenshot 4). Installation is successful and working fine.

While installing Arena4D, AVG is suspicious during the install and concludes that it needs a closer look before completing (screenshot 5).

While installing Point Clouds for Rhino, it's kind of a combination of the other two (screenshot 6). In addition, it seems that it's running two installations concurrently when you run the installer. The first one times out after waiting a few seconds on the license agreement screen, then soon after it disappears the second setup screen comes up and awaits your acceptance of the agreement to advance. Eventually it installs without asking to quarantine, and shows up in Rhino after adding the plugin.

I hope that helps.

Related to all this- I had some issues with the VPC creator software the other month (regarding .e57 files not converting properly), and was in contact with Matt on the issue. I'm not sure if the issues was resolved, but my trial has expired in the meantime. Hopefully I can get an extension on the trial in order to evaluate the workflow again. I just got my Trimble X7 and hope to play around with the data it produces using your suite of products.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Argument and discussion should make the agony of decision making so intense, you can only escape by thinking." -Fred Friendly
Mark Christy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Mark Christy »

Hi John,

Glad you're up and running now. Matt will get you sorted with whatever you need.

Regarding the Anti-Virus flagging.. some Virus checkers are just more "trigger happy" than others and warn on a lot of things. Sadly unless you're a "big player" in the software market it's very difficult to get yourself added to the "safe list" and stop the "false positives".

Windows 10 Defender will always flag up a warning because the software isn't signed. However as you can see you can still run it quite happily no problem at all.

Many Thanks

Mark
JohnNPS8
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts

Post by JohnNPS8 »

Thanks, Mark. I appreciate the explanation. Looking forward to testing out the software over the weekend!
DONATSCH AG
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Fadri Jecklin
Company Details: Civil Engineering an Surveying
Company Position Title: Lead Laserscanning
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by DONATSCH AG »

Same for me. While downloading, Chrome was unhappy, and while installing VPC Creator, G-Data was complaining about something. But after testing and modelling for two weeks now, i think that the Arena Rhino Addon is worth every cent.
Cheers F.
Mark Christy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Mark Christy »

DONATSCH AG wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:44 pm Same for me. While downloading, Chrome was unhappy, and while installing VPC Creator, G-Data was complaining about something. But after testing and modelling for two weeks now, i think that the Arena Rhino Addon is worth every cent.
Cheers F.
Hi Fadri,

Was this before or after we updated the links on our website? I've checked just now and Chrome is happy.

Glad you're enjoying the software! We do try very hard to keep our customers happy.

Many Thanks

Mark

Return to “Veesus”