Clean Point Clouds ? Can't be this hard

Discuss all Leica Geosystems related issues here.
jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Worrell
Company Details: Bennett and Francis
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Clean Point Clouds ? Can't be this hard

Post by jamesworrell »

ecasagrande wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:49 pm Maybe I was a bit quick: is Publisher still software you can use? Leica's site mentions it, and I have an entitlement for it, but there are no links to it.
Probably worth mentioning/checking .. it is worthwhile hosting the licenses on a server, then client PC's can consume them. And a single PC doesn't have to consume all licenses depending on your config.

So Publisher Pro (assuming you have Pro) will work with Cyclone Core - as well as Register360. So you could have PC publishing a point cloud with the Publisher license and another PC doing a registration with the Register license - potentially doubling your throughput.

The opening sequence does matter though - Register360 will (used to?) hog a publisher license even though it might not have been publishing. Likewise Register during publishing.

Have you got CCP/maintenance? There are videos in MyWorld. Also plenty of videos on YouTube around the traps.

So the licenses in general aren't entire packages, but entitlements within a package. So Cyclone for example can have Register, Model, Publisher, Basic etc .. the licenses basically turn on menu options. Likewise in Register360 - with publisher you can spit out LGS. Pro version I think lets you go straight to Recap? They changed it a bit a few months back and I haven't looked at the differences to be fair.

It is quite a rabbit hole .. you get kind of used to it after the first decade ;-p
ecasagrande
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: E Casagrande
Company Details: Tandem
Company Position Title: Tandem
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by ecasagrande »

jamesworrell wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:57 pm Probably worth mentioning/checking .. it is worthwhile hosting the licenses on a server, then client PC's can consume them. And a single PC doesn't have to consume all licenses depending on your config.

So Publisher Pro (assuming you have Pro) will work with Cyclone Core - as well as Register360. So you could have PC publishing a point cloud with the Publisher license and another PC doing a registration with the Register license - potentially doubling your throughput.

The opening sequence does matter though - Register360 will (used to?) hog a publisher license even though it might not have been publishing. Likewise Register during publishing.

Have you got CCP/maintenance? There are videos in MyWorld. Also plenty of videos on YouTube around the traps.

So the licenses in general aren't entire packages, but entitlements within a package. So Cyclone for example can have Register, Model, Publisher, Basic etc .. the licenses basically turn on menu options. Likewise in Register360 - with publisher you can spit out LGS. Pro version I think lets you go straight to Recap? They changed it a bit a few months back and I haven't looked at the differences to be fair.

It is quite a rabbit hole .. you get kind of used to it after the first decade ;-p
This office does not have a "server", other than the NAS which does not run Windows. I'm trying to dig up an RPi or NUC or something that I can use as a ghetto server for now, but in the short term, the licenses are installed on the laptop I mentioned in a floating license server (I avoided the nodelocked one, mostly because it had the word "locked" in it). Running Register 360 on any PC in the office borrows a license off the laptop server, once you point to it. I did acquire a license off the laptop using the new-to-me PC I found, but I haven't checked if the Publisher-enabled features work on that PC as well, but I'd assume it does. The tablet seems to be happy generally, since it only asked for a license twice, one time where it did not have access to the "server".

I do have access to myWorld, and we have maintenance for a year. I lose my Publisher (non-pro) license on the 22nd though, so at that point (hopefully before that), we will have to have the conversation about what licenses I actually "need", which is why I am REALLY trying to get on top of figuring this stuff out. When I added the Publisher entitlement, I originally didn't notice that the LGS option is no longer greyed, along with the JetStream Enterprise option, but I have no idea what that is. For your information, I can go straight to RCP with Register 360, without having the Publisher entitlement. Not sure if that feature is enabled by some other license I have.

It sounds like quite the rabbit hole for sure. I figure a month from now, I'll basically know everything, so that'll be nice ;).
jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Worrell
Company Details: Bennett and Francis
Company Position Title: Director

Post by jamesworrell »

ecasagrande wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:03 am When I added the Publisher entitlement, I originally didn't notice that the LGS option is no longer greyed, along with the JetStream Enterprise option, but I have no idea what that is.
Start with an LGS-vs-non-LGS usage in Revit (?) via Cloudworx (for the LGS) and see the difference.

Our general workflow is to publish an LGS only - we keep this as well as a backup to the original Cyclone data. You can re-import LGS.

So you publish LGS. Open LGS in Cloudworx plug-in in Revit. There is also the free Jetstream Viewer. This can open LGS. No Recap in sight.

For external clients we can/do run RCS/RCP.

For your comparison - compare the speed and functionality etc of Revit + Cloudworx + LGS vs Revit + Recap.

The software on subscription when you look at it from a daily rate point of view isn't terrible - but I'd never complain if they drop it. I'd especially like to see a Cloudworx Revit Standard - that would allow LGS but forego some of the modelling tools. This might make it more attractive to some of our external clients.

Jetstream Server is just that - basically you publish the LGS'ish to a central server and can consume on demand.

NOTE: don't link in the LGS from a central share (eg your NAS) - run it local (c-drive etc). You can get some whacky things going on with coordinates.

Usual story .. run local SSD.
TimJervis
I have made 70-80 posts
I have made 70-80 posts
Full Name: Tim Jervis
Company Details: Global Survey
Company Position Title: Business Development Manager

Post by TimJervis »

Detect moving objects - right click the bundle on the left:

Picture1.png

and the find smooth surfaces is on the top right in the bundle view:

Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

Tim
ecasagrande
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: E Casagrande
Company Details: Tandem
Company Position Title: Tandem
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by ecasagrande »

NOVAMECH wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:44 am Get a ZF Scanner - Simple
LOL, just saw this one: your suggestion is to spend $100k on something that I still don't know how to use? I'm not looking to get laughed at and then fired :).
Carbix
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter
Full Name: Daniel Loney
Company Details: Excelsior Measuring
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by Carbix »

Email me and we can do a zoom meeting. Happy to help you get started.
Daniel Loney - Owner
Excelsior Measuring inc.
Vancouver - Okanagan - Calgary
www.ExcelsiorLevel.com

Return to “Leica Geosystems”