Any Automatic Registration options for SLAM scans (GeoSLAM)

To chat about anything else.
DMag3D
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: DMag
Company Details: Scan3D
Company Position Title: Cofounder

Re: Any Automatic Registration options for SLAM scans (GeoSLAM)

Post by DMag3D »

@HDSCharlie wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:04 pm
Hi Doug,

We're having some pretty good successes with our VERCATOR Cloud Registration service. Yes we were born out of the static market but have an increasing user base within the mobile/robotic/SLAM market.

Have a look at www.vercator.com and signup for a free trial!

BR, Charlie
Thank you Charlie, I will definitely take a look and try it out!

Thank you for your reply.

Best,
Doug

Joanna_Setkowicz
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Joanna Setkowicz
Company Details: GeoSLAM Ltd
Company Position Title: Senior Applications Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Joanna_Setkowicz »

Hello Doug and all,

Thanks for the topic and your questions regarding our GeoSLAM products. We would be happy to help you with your workflow and data processing.

We have done quite a lot of updates to Geoslam HUB solution, including improving the Merge option too. However, it still requires you to align both scans approximately together and then run the registration.

There are numerous ways of aligning data together and as Kyle above mentioned spheres are one of them. Our software package enables that as well. ZEB products come with GeoSLAM HUB which includes GeoSLAM Draw.
Draw package offers a variety of tools, among all you can perform georeferencing, create floor plans, export to CAD and use spheres or reference points for data merge/alignment. Have you tried before GeoSLAM Draw?

We also work with Reference Plates (which are mounted to the scanner handle) and can be used to mark points on the trajectory for each individual scan. This requires placing device for 5 seconds statically at the control point during the scan. If you repeat the same points within overlapping areas between two consecutive scans you can simply use them to perform the alignment. This can be done within GeoSLAM Draw as well.

We are also getting ready for a new release of GeoSLAM HUB software that will feature Adjust to Control functionality within HUB interface. That means that you can perform either global georeferencing to control points acquired by different surveying methods or you can use reference points to align each scan to the previous one within the local coordinate system. This will require using Reference Plates during the capture.

We are happy to run you through workflows and answer any of your questions. My colleagues are based in the US and can help you out with your projects.

Thank you,
Joanna

Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ioannis Papas
Company Details: techical office
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: -

Post by Ioannis »

Joanna_Setkowicz wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:38 am

We also work with Reference Plates (which are mounted to the scanner handle) and can be used to mark points on the trajectory for each individual scan. This requires placing device for 5 seconds statically at the control point during the scan. If you repeat the same points within overlapping areas between two consecutive scans you can simply use them to perform the alignment. This can be done within GeoSLAM Draw as well.

I am also a user of geoslam zeb1 product, how you work with reference plate can you give us an example or showing as a photo, data has a lot of noise and I was not able to do this...

DMag3D
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: DMag
Company Details: Scan3D
Company Position Title: Cofounder

Post by DMag3D »

Thank you for the GeoSLAM information Joanna. These are new workflows that we are eager to try out now that we know they exist.

For anybody who is curious about the reference plate (as I also just found out it exists but couldn't find much information on it), I finally found a great video that helped me understand this workflow that has been discussed. I copied the youtube link to start at the instant where they show the reference plate and describe the workflow, but the entire video is quite helpful (thank you to Frontier Precision if anybody is on this forum).

https://youtu.be/3urG4zDTD90?t=90

As Joanna mentioned and as the presenter describes in the above video, you can have survey control points that are georeferenced and then set the plate over those points while scanning, which will embed a "reference point" into the scan data which can be used to georeference the scan to a global coordinate system. Or as I understand, you can also set up your own reference points without georeferencing them and just use them for the purpose of merging multiple scans as long as the individual scans overlap and you use the same reference points in the different scans. They will not be georeferenced to a global coordinate system, but it is helpful for aligning multiple clouds.

I have also been finding helpful resources on the GeoSLAM Academy if anybody is curious to learn more about the workflow described.

Thank you all for the great insights provided. I hope this has helped other users too.

Best,
Doug

Joanna_Setkowicz
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Joanna Setkowicz
Company Details: GeoSLAM Ltd
Company Position Title: Senior Applications Engineer

Post by Joanna_Setkowicz »

Ioannis wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:39 am
Joanna_Setkowicz wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:38 am

I am also a user of geoslam zeb1 product, how you work with reference plate can you give us an example or showing as a photo, data has a lot of noise and I was not able to do this...

Hi all,

I am sorry for not replying straight away but it looks like my notifications were turned off for LSF. With ZEB 1 it might be a little bit difficult to use this workflow, however, I have asked my colleagues to get in touch with about some upgrades that we offer at the moment for ZEB 1 users. Please let me know if we can help. You can also send an email to our Support address with some questions regarding how you can utilize your system best.

DMag3D - thank you for posting the video and sorry you could not find much information about Reference Plates initially. We have created quite a lot of guides for different workflows for customers and we will be happy to share with you. If you cannot find them on Academy, please always send an email to our support address. You are correct that you can use Ref Points to georeference your data to a global coordinate system or use them for merging multiple scans together (if you keep capturing the same reference points between all those scans). Stay tuned, there will be more technical material coming up soon, specifically on Reference Points.
Happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Hope you are keeping well.

All the best,
Joanna

Return to “General Chat”