Scene Faro feature request, calculate closing seam offsets

Discuss all FARO SCENE related software issues here.
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Forte and Tablada
Company Position Title: AMM Division Leader
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Scene Faro feature request, calculate closing seam offsets

Post by jcoco3 »

Sounds good to me.
The results of all of the above need to be accessible to the user. I don't think any of this is difficult, it's just basic statistics.
I think I might have had you (Jed) in mind when writing my first response. From my memory you have been one of the largest supporters of transparency and detailed documentation. For Faro I would imagine they have struggled with giving us a device that is not overly complicated to use, but has all the options and power that we could desire. Not easy, but worth trying to find the right balance. I like having access and the flexibility to do everything, but learning it all on the front end before doing any scanning is not practical I suppose. If that were the case we would never let anyone we are trying to teach do any scanning without us. Do you like your Chicken or Egg first? Maybe that is not accurate. It seems like we have the chicken, but want a little more egg...in translation we have a simple scanner that "just works," but we also need some additional flexibility and information at times. Its funny, but as an analogy Scene has survived in our office because while they have made it simpler with a glossier more automated interface they have not removed the advanced features that give you more power and flexibility when you need it...just got to shift-dig for them sometimes.

Too be honest at this point I think I am ready for more work to be done on those advanced features that have almost been forgotten. For instance I dream of an improved correspondence view that would allow for a large 50" multi touch monitor to better handle the manual grasping, translations, and rotations of problem scans. Think Minority Report like GUI, but more practical in its implementation on large, but obtainable touch screen.

Sorry did not mean to side track this into another mixed feature request post, just got carried away.

jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by jedfrechette »

I do tend to get on my soap box and bang on about the same things over and over again don't I. :D

I totally agree with you, simple is better than complicated, but I think the mistake Faro has made when setting their development priorities is assuming that providing less information and/or choices is inherently the same as providing simplicity. I think the situation described here is a good example of where providing less information makes the user's job more complex. That additional data doesn't need to be front and center, because in most cases the user won't need to look at it, but when something isn't working quite right and they do need to investigate, having it available can be invaluable.

I want a functional UI and a simple workflow. A simple workflow is much more important than a simple UI though.
jcoco3 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:24 pm
Too be honest at this point I think I am ready for more work to be done on those advanced features that have almost been forgotten.
+1000

I'd even be happy with some updates to basic features. For example, how about a cloud to cloud implementation that can be constrained by targets?
Jed

jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jcoco3 »

:lol: Happy to listen to you on your soap box as it is always logical and with a good intent to make improvements.

At this point I agree with what you have said in this thread so much that it has me questioning my own judgment and hoping that I am not falling into my own confirmation bias.

The good news is that we can sit here all day and make our suggestion or complaints, and I at least know that relevant people are listening, taking notes, making judgment calls, and trying to prioritize. I have seen things that we have wanted and pronounced here come to life...it might take years, but if its possible it might just happen :)

So at this point I think we should ask what else can we do as contributing users to rectify the problem? If the data is already recorded, but simply not accessible to the user then how can we get at it? Is is buried within the files of a scan that we can dissect somehow or is it encrypted or not recorded at all? What is already available in Scene and are we missing something that can gets us by until a better solution has been developed? In addition movement errors are recorded by the scanner itself in any environment that has straight horizontal objects that can be examined, so if any type of analysis can be performed on the inclinometer data it could also separately be performed on the scan data to confirm...that is if there are any horizontal objects and you have not captured a scan in the middle of a grass field or the ocean. The data that is of concern could be previewed to the user as an image in Scene or better yet on the scanner after the scan has completed as a part of the warning system if you want to call it that.

I don't know what else could be done, but considering that the people that can actually help us are likely listening our crazy ideas are at a minimum fodder for their creative process.

bdawood
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bashar Dawood
Company Details: Canada West Drafting Inc.
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by bdawood »

I have a request for faro Scene, if possible can a multi view ports in one session be created, this way I don't have to change multiple views and instead jump between views, so my screen is split into 4 or any number, just like AutoCad or any CAD software

jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jcoco3 »

You can do that already :)

Just right click the tab on the view port and select I believe its called "tabbed" or "docked," then you can move it and resize it. You can open multiple views of the same thing, so lets say two correspondence views, one a top view and one for front view and then put them side by side or one on top the other. I have been using that technique for years while making adjustments to scan positions so I can see both horizontal and vertical offsets at the same time. I will mention that having plenty of screen real estate matters, as you cannot move the viewports to a separate monitor unless you have you primary Scene software window stretched across multiple monitors.

I will admit the current implementation is rather clunky and the docking features could be improved. I really like way aquasnap works, by comparison. https://www.nurgo-software.com/products/aquasnap

Also, what does this feature request have to do with calculating offsets? I think your request was very much worthy of a new thread, but that's just my opinion :lol:

bdawood
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bashar Dawood
Company Details: Canada West Drafting Inc.
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by bdawood »

Thank you Jonathan, what a turbo charge you gave me, and you are correct regarding the screen, a fix will be on the way.

Return to “FARO SCENE”