Latest version of ScanMaster

Discuss TOPCON MAGNET Collage & ScanMaster software here.
andyevans
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Andy Evans
Company Details: Topcon
Company Position Title: Product Manager - Mass Data
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Latest version of ScanMaster

Post by andyevans »

Faraz wrote:does this mean that the original version did not have frustum culling? thats bad news for a point cloud engine

like the occlusion cull though, its tough to get good results with points. I wrote a occlusion cull in 2002, but it used too much CPU to give much benefit (performance was about the same with or without it). With fast multi-core CPUs now and shoving it only the GPU, it'd probably work quite well...maybe I'll go dig around some old harddrives or just get our genius phd graphics developer to re-write it...
Hi Faraz,

The occlusion culling was introduced in version 1.5. This post relates to that - I understand that this is different to frustrum culling - which a lack of would be seriously bad news for a cloud engine! Although I am guilty of copying the press-release there (1 year ago), I think I just glanced over it..... :-(

The occlusion cull in SM2 works well, but as you can imagine is a factor of point density in the different zones of the project.

I'd go for the genius option :-)
Alan Chavers
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Billy Alan Chavers
Company Details: Dale Stockstill and Assoc
Company Position Title: President

Re: Latest version of ScanMaster

Post by Alan Chavers »

andyevans wrote:
Alan Chavers wrote:It takes hours for our version of SM to export a PTX file. Does the new version address this? If I paid the 2K
for the new version and it still took forever to get a PTX file, I would be.... well, not happy.
Hi Alan, I believe this issue is addressed in SM2.

I echo Alexander's question regarding size of the pointlcoud though, can you upload the data somewhere for us or your local support to take a look at?
The size of the cloud is not the issue. This is from my email records back in June.

Adam,

There is a problem with THQ scan grid correction library used to export PTX files.

It works but it is slow. I am trying to get our engineers in Tokyo to improve it right now.

Since I am in Japan right now, I'll bring it up again with them today.

Best regards,

Michael

This is an ongoing problem that they were supposed to fix. We never got the patch for our old version but we have had the new version marketed to us pretty heavily. I would like to KNOW for sure before I spend another 2K that the PTX export works and doesn't take 2 hours per scan.
Alan

Return to “TOPCON MAGNET Collage”