BLK 360 stability issues

Discuss all Cyclone related issues here.
Peder
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Peder Lindbom
Company Details: AIX
Company Position Title: Architect
Linkedin Profile: No

BLK 360 stability issues

Post by Peder » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:43 am

Hello all!
A bit desperate -struggling with my BLK 360 which has given me all sorts of headache since it was purchased. I have received a lot of support from Hexagon even to the point of swapping out the unit.

Initially I had issues with images turning up weird (purple) -this seems not to be related to hardware and has gone away since upgrading.

Later I have a lot of issues transferring files to the computer using Data manager (download stalling). I also have a lot of issues transferring files between the Ipad and the BLK using Field 360 -where the transfer also stalls a lot. Sometimes it just cancels without warning.

I loose connection to the ipad (scan button greyed out) even though the wifi says the scanner is connected and the BLK360 app finds it. Requiring a restart of the Ipad to get it to work again.

I have had the BLK suddenly die (turn off) even though the battery is good -restarting and continuing to scan for another 30 or so scans.

I have recently received a yellow ring error with the Ipad telling me the scanner is obstructed even though this is obviously not the case and a restart of the scanner removes the error.

Sorry for the ranting/rambling nature of my complaints -but helpful as support have been they do not confirm my experiences nor do they seem to have heard of such troubles. This leaves me wondering if there is indeed a hardware problem even on my replacement unit(?!) I am running out of time before the warranty expires so I need to figure this out.

Any experiences similar to mine out there?

gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: BLK 360 stability issues

Post by gsisman » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:01 am

Peder wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:43 am
Hello all!
A bit desperate -struggling with my BLK 360 which has given me all sorts of headache since it was purchased. I have received a lot of support from Hexagon even to the point of swapping out the unit.

Initially I had issues with images turning up weird (purple) -this seems not to be related to hardware and has gone away since upgrading.

Later I have a lot of issues transferring files to the computer using Data manager (download stalling). I also have a lot of issues transferring files between the Ipad and the BLK using Field 360 -where the transfer also stalls a lot. Sometimes it just cancels without warning.

I loose connection to the ipad (scan button greyed out) even though the wifi says the scanner is connected and the BLK360 app finds it. Requiring a restart of the Ipad to get it to work again.

I have had the BLK suddenly die (turn off) even though the battery is good -restarting and continuing to scan for another 30 or so scans.

I have recently received a yellow ring error with the Ipad telling me the scanner is obstructed even though this is obviously not the case and a restart of the scanner removes the error.

Sorry for the ranting/rambling nature of my complaints -but helpful as support have been they do not confirm my experiences nor do they seem to have heard of such troubles. This leaves me wondering if there is indeed a hardware problem even on my replacement unit(?!) I am running out of time before the warranty expires so I need to figure this out.

Any experiences similar to mine out there?
Yes, we had all of the listed problems when I upgraded to the latest v1.2.4 FW on the BLK and the latest Field 360 update.
There IS something up with that. We also have a replacement unit.
We resolved it to be operational this past week before Thanksgiving by backloading to v1.2.3 fw on the BLK.
Still had a few issues with it stalling out (yellow blinking on the BLK) after quite a few sequential HI-RES scans with HDR. Still working with BLK support HDS support to figure out the FW/Field 360 issue
I have found that push button scanning and then downloading to the iPAD produces much less problems (noted in another thread for workflow). Then moving each scan to link it visually after the download and then transferring the entire bundle using the Field 360 connection and ethernet

Peder
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Peder Lindbom
Company Details: AIX
Company Position Title: Architect

Post by Peder » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:31 pm

Thanks -that makes me believe it is likely a software/firmware issue unless they shipped a lot of BLK units with the same hardware problem. I will continue the dialogue with Hexagon to see if it can be resolved -good that I am not alone in this.

MajorDomo
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: Major Domo
Company Details: VeritasVfx
Company Position Title: ceo

Post by MajorDomo » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:52 am

My 2 cents, put everything in writing.
Warranty claims can become hellish processes, had some very bitter experiences over the years.
None with Leica, or even scanners, but some stuff that cost a lot more money decided to pack it up. Luckily my QS of the time insisted that I sent those cringe "dear so and so, to confirm our earlier conversation about issue blah blah blah, were person X suggested that I try these things to resolve problem with doing this thing.
I have tried these steps, and the error still persisted.
Yours truly, the guy that writes this type of emails to cover his position in case this gets acrimonious."

Also it's worth filming the errors, sometimes you make a small action that on its own is inconsequential, but might trigger the error down the line.

Good luck!

gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by gsisman » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:46 pm

MajorDomo wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:52 am
My 2 cents, put everything in writing.
Warranty claims can become hellish processes, had some very bitter experiences over the years.
None with Leica, or even scanners, but some stuff that cost a lot more money decided to pack it up. Luckily my QS of the time insisted that I sent those cringe "dear so and so, to confirm our earlier conversation about issue blah blah blah, were person X suggested that I try these things to resolve problem with doing this thing.
I have tried these steps, and the error still persisted.
Yours truly, the guy that writes this type of emails to cover his position in case this gets acrimonious."

Also it's worth filming the errors, sometimes you make a small action that on its own is inconsequential, but might trigger the error down the line.

Good luck!

I agree. The dissemination of technical information does not get carried many times from level to level among the technical support chain, not just in Leica. I have begun to copy all major issue to my Technical Factory Rep, Support techs, Support manager, and if need be Product manager.
Documentation, screen captures -downloaded instrument service reports etc.
As a form solicitor told me (at a company I got pink-slipped from for calling out one of the principals on cooking the project books and falsely pinning project over-runs on the survey department)..
"if it's not in Writing, it didn't happen!"

Return to “Leica Cyclone”