Richard.d-SSL
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Richard Dallimore
Company Details: Survey Systems
Company Position Title: Senior Surveyor

Scanning field to AutoCAD workflow

Post by Richard.d-SSL » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:49 am

I have been tasked with trying to improve our work flow for scanning jobs, mainly elevation and internal surveys. Currently we scan on site with a Faro Focus 3D and run it through Scene 5.3, Recap (to generate RCP/RCS) and in to CAD. In CAD we trace over the thin slices of point cloud by freehand. We have custom tools for extracting levels like floor and ceiling. This method involves many slices to get the detail on an internal for example walls, beams, ceiling, floor etc. This methodology also seems to be very time consuming and can be a bit hit and miss.

I am looking to upgrade to Scene 2019.2 as that is proving to be quicker and at getting direct to CAD and seems much improved. The workflow seems a little disjointed but I will keep learning how to use it.

The key here is what are people using to draw or extract or assist in producing floor plans, elevations and sections from scan data?

I have and will continue to play with SCC but it generates lots of small lines along the walls do you then have to trace over this, in which case not sure it solves anything?

Faro As-Built Modeller is also on my list but I am struggling to get anything out of it, but this still seems to be based on tracing.

Any assistance would be welcomed.
Regards Richard

landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Scanning field to AutoCAD workflow

Post by landmeterbeuckx » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:06 pm

pointcab. sections to cad or directly in revit
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +3211661621
www.landmeter-beuckx.be
[email protected]

gabrio
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Gabrio Rossi
Company Details: Intellegere srl
Company Position Title: technical director

Post by gabrio » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:57 am

Faro As Built for AutoCAD. If your deliverables are 2D vector drawing and I suggest to make it a try. I guess Farò As Built Modeler is for 3D workflow. But I’ve never use Modeler (waiting for the as built suite license fix ;-)

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk
arch. Gabrio Rossi, MRICS
[email protected]

Passaggio dei Canonici Lateranensi n. 4
24121 Bergamo - Italy

+39.035.601.1492

smacl
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:49 am

Richard.d-SSL wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:49 am
I have and will continue to play with SCC but it generates lots of small lines along the walls do you then have to trace over this, in which case not sure it solves anything?
Hi Richard,

The number of line segments SCC will generate is a function of parameters used. If you have a look at the video below and skip to about 1:05 you'll see a good example of this in action. The video also covers automatic classification and noise removal where the quality of the automatically extracted vector data depends very much on how clean the base data is and running some classification tools prior to extraction can dramatically improve this.

youtu.be/VHKv7zNiX80

To be fair, there are quite a few parameters to deal with to get the best out of these tools and hence a bit of a learning curve. Creating a more intuitive user interface with preview is high on my to do list. Let me know if you'd like to go through this in a bit more detail online,

Shane

mike annear
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mike Annear
Company Details: Mike Annear
Company Position Title: 3D Modeler

Post by mike annear » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:51 am

For building structures, I use CloudCompare RANSAC tools to separate all of the planar parts of the pointcloud as different entities, then export the whole group of separate clouds as a single E.57.
I import that into Rhino 3D, they come in as separate clouds with unique single colours per cloud.
Then I use Rhinos Pointcloud tools and surface fitting tools to create NURBs planes. ( no plugins)
It's not foolproof, but it's quick :)
Regards,
Mike.

crsm114
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Cris Salas
Company Details: Clearedge 3D
Company Position Title: Inside Sales Executive
Skype Name: Cris Salas

Post by crsm114 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:55 pm

Hi!
I know I am a bit late to the post, but if you are looking for a software to quickly create a floor plan, we have the software for you!
It is called Edgewise.
We recently had a webinar showing off our automated wall extraction from a point cloud.
We can quickly create an as built floor plan and export to any major CAD software.

Email or call me if you would like to discuss.

Thanks!
Cris
[email protected]
+1 (540) 692-3529

Richard.d-SSL
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Richard Dallimore
Company Details: Survey Systems
Company Position Title: Senior Surveyor

Post by Richard.d-SSL » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:20 pm

Thank you everyone I will review all posts as time allows.

I have also been told via PM about Undet does anyone have experience of this softwaare?

mariusP
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Marius Putrimas
Company Details: Terra Modus
Company Position Title: Undet product manager

Post by mariusP » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:31 pm

Richard.d-SSL wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:49 am
I have been tasked with trying to improve our work flow for scanning jobs, mainly elevation and internal surveys. Currently we scan on site with a Faro Focus 3D and run it through Scene 5.3, Recap (to generate RCP/RCS) and in to CAD. In CAD we trace over the thin slices of point cloud by freehand. We have custom tools for extracting levels like floor and ceiling. This method involves many slices to get the detail on an internal for example walls, beams, ceiling, floor etc. This methodology also seems to be very time consuming and can be a bit hit and miss.

I am looking to upgrade to Scene 2019.2 as that is proving to be quicker and at getting direct to CAD and seems much improved. The workflow seems a little disjointed but I will keep learning how to use it.

The key here is what are people using to draw or extract or assist in producing floor plans, elevations and sections from scan data?
Hi we did this simply workflow video how to draw complete building elevation drawing from point clouds. Maybe you will find some useful info.

youtu.be/RftPM1IKoLA
Marius Putrimas
www.undet.com
Undet Point Cloud Software

stutosney
I have made 70-80 posts
I have made 70-80 posts
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: Vitruvius Ltd
Company Position Title: Lead Surveyor

Post by stutosney » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:04 am

I have always used Cloudworx for AutoCAD, similar to what you say, tracing over the lines. Then there is Revit as well. I just don't fully trust automated extraction programs, especially on highly ornate or old buildings that cathedrals etc as you have to do a lot of QA. They are handy for nice square rooms though.

mariusP
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Marius Putrimas
Company Details: Terra Modus
Company Position Title: Undet product manager

Post by mariusP » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:03 am

stutosney wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:04 am
I have always used Cloudworx for AutoCAD, similar to what you say, tracing over the lines. Then there is Revit as well. I just don't fully trust automated extraction programs, especially on highly ornate or old buildings that cathedrals etc as you have to do a lot of QA. They are handy for nice square rooms though.
Yes, you are right you can't fully trust automated extraction programs, are they speeding up their work? Only after trying will be clear :).

It is hard to provide a detailed explanation in a short video, we tried to show that with an easily moving clipping box you can get a clear visible outline of windows, walls, openings. And that I always recommend is use coloring by plane with fixed step (2cm-2mm), it depends what you want to see. Also, it is very good for fast quality assurance.

Continuing this topic, here is workflow video, how to draw floorplans.

youtu.be/BxWeAv5rr5Q
Marius Putrimas
www.undet.com
Undet Point Cloud Software

Return to “Request Help With Projects”