Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Outdoor Scanning Advice

Post by gsisman » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:48 pm

stutosney wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:47 am
If it is open field, you won't still won't get accurate levels using a tripod mounted scanner purely because you won't penetrate through grass etc, especially if it is tall grass. I would definitely go with the drone and if you have solid features such as buildings etc that need to be picked up, use the Faro with targets and just combine the data sets. With open fields, I'm guessing the client isn't massively fussed with accuracy and is more interested in the general layout of the land and a grid of levels, so plus or minus 20-30mm would be sufficient? Have you thought about attaching GPS to a quad bike or something similar and set it to take measurements at intervals? Or set up with a theodolite and get your walking boots on! :lol:

Definitely rent a 4 wheeler put a fixed height rod on it with RTK and measure the HI and take off running a grid or breaklines using at distance interval recording on the RTK. That's what you want to use for terrain, if it is truly open. The right tools for the right job.
Buildings and other items can be scanned in using the RTK for the control in those areas and then combined. It's really the only thing you need the scanner for. Back in the day, I had clients covering 100 acre sites in a day with an ATV running dense distance interval auto-record. Just got to plan your drive lines.

smacl
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Outdoor Scanning Advice

Post by smacl » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:16 pm

gsisman wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:48 pm
Definitely rent a 4 wheeler put a fixed height rod on it with RTK and measure the HI and take off running a grid or breaklines using at distance interval recording on the RTK. That's what you want to use for terrain, if it is truly open. The right tools for the right job.
Buildings and other items can be scanned in using the RTK for the control in those areas and then combined. It's really the only thing you need the scanner for. Back in the day, I had clients covering 100 acre sites in a day with an ATV running dense distance interval auto-record. Just got to plan your drive lines.
One thing to watch for with this method is using it where there is a reasonable gradient to the ground you're surveying where you need to correct your instrument height for pitch and roll. We ended up writing something in SCC for this many years back for a company surveying sand dunes, where the correction was significant. On flatter ground not much of a problem.

Return to “FARO”