I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Michael Howard
Company Details: Taratest
Company Position Title: Technical assistant
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Target problems with P40 scans

Post by Mick1978 »

I'm giving feedback to our scanning team about some work carried out recently. There seems to be a big issue with all of the scans where the targets aren't in the correct position on the scans (see images). This has led to an enormous amount of work patching and cleaning scans to make any sense of the work.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how it can be prevented in future?
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Re: Target problems with P40 scans

Post by steves01x »

Detail/window scans or actually naming targets on the P40 when in the field? Has your P40 been calibrated recently or reset the compensator?

I try to avoid anything other than the odd detail/window scans and pick all targets up when in Cyclone.
MajorDomo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Major Domo
Company Details: VeritasVfx
Company Position Title: ceo
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by MajorDomo »

On some versions of Cyclone, the detail scans are brought in as independent scans, instead of as sub-scans under the scame scanworld. is that what you've seen?
Unfortunately the only permanent solution is to upgrade, or downgrade cyclone to a version where it actually works, if that is the case.

The workaround would be to cut/paste the detail scans onto the proper scanworld. Be careful when doing this because you will invariably make mistakes about what details goes into which scanworld, unless the operator ALWAYS does things in the same order, which is very unlikely.
It can be fixed, but it's super frustrating, considering you invested the time doing it in the field...

I used onboard target recognition a lot, as it's the only way to be sure exteriors without much in the way or vertical structures actually register, with 100% certainty, and those two versions of firmware/software just killed that workflow.
You can tell that no one that actually uses the function tested that combination...they didn't even bother...

When it's got to be...right...right????
Mick1978
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by Mick1978 »

steves01x wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:07 am Detail/window scans or actually naming targets on the P40 when in the field? Has your P40 been calibrated recently or reset the compensator?

I try to avoid anything other than the odd detail/window scans and pick all targets up when in Cyclone.
The scan team name the targets in the field. The scanner is a bit over 1 year since purchase so recently calibrated.

I usually process the data while the scan team do the scanning in the field. It would be a bit difficult for me to add the targets afterwards without greater familiarity with the site. Also it has worked fine in the past. This job is unique (for me) in that every target scan is in the wrong place.
Mick1978
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by Mick1978 »

MajorDomo wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:25 am On some versions of Cyclone, the detail scans are brought in as independent scans, instead of as sub-scans under the scame scanworld. is that what you've seen?
Unfortunately the only permanent solution is to upgrade, or downgrade cyclone to a version where it actually works, if that is the case.

The workaround would be to cut/paste the detail scans onto the proper scanworld. Be careful when doing this because you will invariably make mistakes about what details goes into which scanworld, unless the operator ALWAYS does things in the same order, which is very unlikely.
It can be fixed, but it's super frustrating, considering you invested the time doing it in the field...

I used onboard target recognition a lot, as it's the only way to be sure exteriors without much in the way or vertical structures actually register, with 100% certainty, and those two versions of firmware/software just killed that workflow.
You can tell that no one that actually uses the function tested that combination...they didn't even bother...

When it's got to be...right...right????
We are using a very old version of cyclone but this hasn't been an issue until recently.
Maybe the scan team have been doing the target scans after the scan rather than before which could explain targets being in a scan which aren't in the scanned area.
MajorDomo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Major Domo
Company Details: VeritasVfx
Company Position Title: ceo
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by MajorDomo »

Mick1978 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:10 am I usually process the data while the scan team do the scanning in the field. It would be a bit difficult for me to add the targets afterwards without greater familiarity with the site. Also it has worked fine in the past. This job is unique (for me) in that every target scan is in the wrong place.
Then the field team might've messed things up a bit.
My guess is that they created new stations when they should've been on the same station.

Try this:
  • Try to create a new Scanworld.
    Copy a 360 scan from scanworld #1.
    Copy the scan sections from scan #2.
    Create a ModelsPace on the new Scanworld.
    Open a view to generate a 3d point cloud representation.
    have a look and see if it works better

It is possible to recreate a whole job by copying scans around, takes some time, but you can get it done.

Alternatively you can just copy the targets into the space, but it can be harder to verify the results of this franken-scan...
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning

Post by steves01x »

If every target is in wrong place / cant see the correct one in the main 360 scan then your guys have probably got it on the advanced menu and done the detail scan within the wrong station set up in the field.
Phill
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Phillip Nixon
Company Details: SKM

Post by Phill »

Had exactly this the other day. My chief assistant had not used the P40 since they changed the firmware, and now you have to press the little triangle and new stn. Before if you backed from the scan setup screen and went back in it would start a new scanworld which is what he was doing, but not anymore. I think the button used to be STD stp or something like that but now its cont.

Anyway, every time you do the big overall scan if it's already done a big scan, it will auto increment to the next scanworld. So if you do it in this order: scan-target-target-scan, which we quite often do cause it's time efficient to get the thing cranking while you slap the targets out for the first scan, but you normally swap back to targets first on the second scan so you can pick them up and move them while its scanning.

Normally you get saved by the assistant coming and asking about the double target override prompt, but I was busy digging up control points so he just jogged on.

Result- every scan has the targets from the next scan in it.

No biggie for me it was only 70odd scans I had to fix, but might be worth bringing up with the scan team and see if they look at you blankly.

Cheers

Phill
BrettH
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Brett Horlock
Company Details: Scan Tech Surveys
Company Position Title: Owner-Director

Post by BrettH »

The targets in the scan world are in the incorrect location as the field operator did it before doing a scan and not afterwards the newer FW you need to scan first then pick targets, you just need to cut targets from each scan and move them 1 place back for example the targets in sw6 move to sw5 and so an, its tedious but doesn't take to long..

Return to “Leica Geosystems”