I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: david
Company Details: evry
Company Position Title: business consultant
Linkedin Profile: No

300 000 m2 scanning, best solution?

Post by david1 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:32 am

The project is to scan the inside of a Campus approximately 300 000 m2 and create a BIM model. The environment is varied with open spaces, stairwells, kitchens and furnished rooms etc. Which method is preferred?

Been looking in to terrestrial laser scanners (Faro, Leica etc.), mobile laser scanners such as NavVis, GeoSLAM and Matterport’s Structured light solution that can be used in combination whit Leica BLK 360. The goal is to create google street view of the inside of the whole facility with attributes tagged to fire alarms, widows etc. The idea is to use the BIM model to ease facility management. Preferably the measurements should be accurate enough to use for potential renovations in the future.

Most companies I have found working with 3D-scanning uses TLS. But I think NavVis seems interesting due to it’s speed and new SLAM update fixing their precision problem. Do you guys have any suggestions?

jaredmatthews
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jared
Company Details: Sova Surveys Limited
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: jaredmatthews
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: 300 000 m2 scanning, best solution?

Post by jaredmatthews » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:26 am

You could try paracosm PX-80 (I think that's the model)

Similar to geoslam as it's a SLAM based scanner. It takes images every 2 or 3 steps, so your whole walking route is created as a street-view kind of walk-through.

landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:28 am

hmmm,
you don't have a scanner at the moment but are taking on a first project to scan 300000m2 of building!

I wish you good luck :D

Seriously, take on an exterior company for this one and start out with small stuff otherwise this is a recipe for disaster!
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +3211661621
www.landmeter-beuckx.be
[email protected]

steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by steves01x » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:46 am

You wont get 360 photos suitable for Google Street View from a mobile system.

I have scanned several uni campus and you will probably need 2 scanners running all day and night, we P40 and Faro X330 (as RTC wasnt out). Thankfully RGB colour was not required as that is a massive go slow no matter what system your using.

You will also need a total station to help split the job up in to sensible areas.... as no campus has simple divisions between buildings/departments.

It is a mine field with a project like this, access, security, keys, roof spaces, restricted working hours certain places, 5 working days notice to certain rooms/departments....

Also if its only to scan the inside, how do you get your external wall thickness for the model?

david1
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by david1 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:34 pm

Thank you so much for the input guys! Just to clearify, there will be an external company performing the project :D . My task is only to research potential methods from a business perspective and provide suggestions of companies able to perform this. Due to the scale of the project im pretty sure there will have to be a trade off between Accuracy vs Speed. Looking for that sweetspot where it's pretty fast but still accurate enough, might not be possible but then the customer will have to prioritize what's most important. Great input regarding wall thickness, pretty sure they haven't thought about that.
Last edited by david1 on Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moc
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Matthias Korscheck
Company Details: TPI Vermessungsgesellschaft mbH
Company Position Title: Surveying Engineer

Post by Moc » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:38 pm

What accuracy do you need? Navvis is great for scanning large indoor areas and panoramic photos. But depending on the needs, the accuracy could be too low for modeling, because smaller details get lost.
Also, you need a total station for setting up a geodetic network of points and a terrestial laserscanner for stairwells, open outdoor spaces, small rooms, etc.

david1
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by david1 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:17 pm

Their goal is primarily to get a working BIM-model of the whole campus, and mainly use it for facility management such as security, cleaning, support services and help the students navigate on campus. Basically create a digital twin with IoT sensors and mapp out fire doors, alarms, lights, classrooms, opening hours in the cafeteria, reception etc. Those services mainly provide a visible assistance for the personal and a few cm off doesn't matter, the students will still be able to find the locate the reception etc.

But if they are going to scan the whole campus they might as well get it accurate enough so they can use it for potential renovations and construction in the future. What accuracy do you need in order to use the BIM model for construction and renovations, in your opinion? They have never scanned the facilities before so the digital maps they have today are recreated from paper, so pretty sure even a less accurate scanning method is still closer to reality than what they have today.

VXGrid
I have made 70-80 posts
I have made 70-80 posts
Full Name: Martin Graner
Company Details: PointCab GmbH
Company Position Title: Research and Development

Post by VXGrid » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:26 pm

david1 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:17 pm
Their goal is primarily to get a working BIM-model of the whole campus, and mainly use it for facility management such as security, cleaning, support services and help the students navigate on campus. Basically create a digital twin with IoT sensors and mapp out fire doors, alarms, lights, classrooms, opening hours in the cafeteria, reception etc. Those services mainly provide a visible assistance for the personal and a few cm off doesn't matter, the students will still be able to find the locate the reception etc.

But if they are going to scan the whole campus they might as well get it accurate enough so they can use it for potential renovations and construction in the future. What accuracy do you need in order to use the BIM model for construction and renovations, in your opinion? They have never scanned the facilities before so the digital maps they have today are recreated from paper, so pretty sure even a less accurate scanning method is still closer to reality than what they have today.

You must distinguish between global and local accuracy. If you use a SLAM based approach your local accuracy will be lower (worse) than a terrestrial scanner. The global accuracy is somewhat similar (depending on a lot of factors, like surounding & post processing time).

A digital twin is normally not generated with mm accuracy but to manage the building as you described it.

I'd recommend to use a mixed approach (depending on where you'd like to have the panorama images), like using a terrestrial scanner for these and scan the hell lot of rooms with a mobile scanner.
Then you can use the terrestrial scanner as a reference frame (bringing in some geodetics with a total station is a good idea as well), and connect the SLAM scans into the terrestrial reference frame. -> More speed, ok accuracy. Best of both worlds.

Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ioannis Papas
Company Details: techical office
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: -

Post by Ioannis » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:22 pm

I think the mix terrestrial laser scanning and slam will not give you good results and the merge of them will be difficult because of the limitations of slam technology (drifting and noise).
I would suggest a scanner like Navvis that combine photogrametry and laser scanning with superb results. The only disadvantage of navvis is that is bulky and heavy.
Because you have many acres to survey a drone survey is also nesesary.
In the end will give them an orthophoto of the whole campus.
For the panoramas a camera like nctech would be perfect for a virtual tour.

Mokeefe
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Mark OKeefe
Company Details: Clearedge3D
Company Position Title: Clearedge3D
Skype Name: markokeefe4

Post by Mokeefe » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:26 pm

I'd recommend to use a mixed approach (depending on where you'd like to have the panorama images), like using a terrestrial scanner for these and scan the hell lot of rooms with a mobile scanner.
Then you can use the terrestrial scanner as a reference frame (bringing in some geodetics with a total station is a good idea as well), and connect the SLAM scans into the terrestrial reference frame. -> More speed, ok accuracy. Best of both worlds.
[/quote]

A mixed approach has been working well for many of our clients. There is a software (Reconstructor) that can minimize the drift from mobile scanners, especially when combined with a few tripod scans. I have some ideas for you based on what they have done if you want to speak more, but definitely look into Reconstructor's capabilities if you are considering a mobile system. They do a great job.

Return to “Request Help With Projects”