I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Paddy Kenny
Company Details: Keltic Surveys Pty Ltd
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Trimble tx6 or faro s350

Post by Leinster » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:49 am

Hi I’m new to this forum and also to the world of scanning. I am currently looking st an option of two scanners a faro s350 and Trimble tx6, as I am in the survey ibfustry I am looking to utilise the scanner for as built and civil earth works jobs, can anyone advise on which scanner they may recommend.

Thanks

Leinster

landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Re: Trimble tx6 or faro s350

Post by landmeterbeuckx » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:51 am

if you're in the civil earth works i would recommend a Riegl scanner, a vz400i. I wouldn't recxomend a faro for this, great scanner for interiors though.
Search a bit on the forum for this scanner.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +3211661621
www.landmeter-beuckx.be
[email protected]

Leinster
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Paddy Kenny
Company Details: Keltic Surveys Pty Ltd
Company Position Title: Director

Post by Leinster » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:52 pm

Thanks for your feedback, I’ve looked into the reigl but unfortunately it’s way outside the budget. The tx and faro are the only two affordable at the moment, saying that the earthworks jobs involved are only average sized sub divisions, I will be focusing the scanner more in the as built and construction side of survey.

Cheers

mikajahkola
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Mika Jahkola
Company Details: Myymore Oy
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by mikajahkola » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:26 pm

It depends what you are doing. Trimble is about twice the size and weight of Faro, and it comes with a tribrach that you must level manually at each station. On the other hand it is more accurate on long distances, especially the levelling is accurate.

If you do hundreds of small scans a day you will appreciate the lightness of Faro, and the fact that you don't need to level it, just place it where you want, check that it is approximately upright ( to 5 degrees) and start scanning. Faro is slower than Trimble if you do large scans (outdoors or large indoor spaces with high resolution)

If you scan with Trimble, you have to register with Trimble Realworks, because no other software can handle Trimble .rwp files. On the other hand, all major registration software (including Realworks) can read Faro .fls files, so you are not necessarily bound to Faro Scene.
Realworks is quite good, though, both for target based and cloud-to-cloud registration, and it can handle large projects better than Scene in my opinion.

Mokeefe
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Mark OKeefe
Company Details: Clearedge3D
Company Position Title: Clearedge3D
Skype Name: markokeefe4

Post by Mokeefe » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:05 pm

You mentioned the Reigl is outside of the budget, so the Z+F is probably a long shot as well, but it is a really quality scanner and rugged enough to handle the outdoors.

Return to “General Chat”