Registering scans in Scene vs Recap Pro

Discuss all FARO SCENE related software issues here.
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Registering scans in Scene vs Recap Pro

Post by Scott » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:57 pm

Randy Wag wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:34 pm
Somethings to consider before you buy a $100,000 laser scanner is:
1. your return on investment in years.( what is your tolerance)
2. usable life of the device. (planned obsolescence) (worse case, possibly designed to fail ie, Faro's S120)
3. maintenance, calibration fees etc. (excessive and predatory).
4. cost of repair out of warranty. (a minor repair will turn your scanner into a boat anchor).

My advice = Rent, don't buy.
Since you specifically dissed FARO equipment, I feel I should pipe up. My Focus 120 is still working quite well after eight years of use (a few hiccups, of course). Even the original batteries continue to charge fully (if charged in the scanner). Don't knock it around--it may surprise you. I imagine that rental units are not treated in a consistent manner.
Last edited by Scott on Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Felix_the_Cat
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Felix
Company Details: Lockheed Martin
Company Position Title: Senior Member Engineering Staff

Post by Felix_the_Cat » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:26 pm

Scott wrote:
Randy Wag wrote:
2. usable life of the device. (planned obsolescence) (worse case, possibly designed to fail ie, Faro's S120)
4. cost of repair out of warranty. (a minor repair will turn your scanner into a boat anchor).

Since you specifically dissed FARO equipment, I felt I should pipe up. My Focus 120 is still working quite well after eight years of use (a few hiccups, of course). Even the original batteries continue to charge fully (if charged in the scanner). Don't knock it around--it may surprise you. I imagine that rental units are not treated in a consistent manner.
Glad you threw this out there

My 130 is 5+ years old

It has been all over the world in some crazy places

I take very good care of it

Still scans like the day it was new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oliver Knoerzer
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Oliver Knörzer
Company Details: FARO Scanner Production GmbH
Company Position Title: Senior 3D Software Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Oliver Knoerzer » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:19 am

Randy Wag wrote:
Man, it’s really annoying to read such nonsense.

Our hardware team works very hard to make the FARO scanners robust and has for example achieved a very good 1-year-failure rate over the last years!
Software developer working for FARO on WebShare Cloud, SCENE 2go, and sometimes on SCENE.
My webcomics: Sandra and Woo, Gaia.

landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:35 am

Oliver Knoerzer wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:19 am
Randy Wag wrote:
Man, it’s really annoying to read such nonsense.

Our hardware team works very hard to make the FARO scanners robust and has for example achieved a very good 1-year-failure rate over the last years!
he seems to have a bad experience with his gear (earlier posts) and thinks all scanners have the same problems as his.

If he would calculate the time and effort to rent all the time he can easily buy one (waiting times, transport times, cost per rental,...)
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +3211661621
www.landmeter-beuckx.be
[email protected]

Oxbow
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Bergholz
Company Details: Laserscanning Europe
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: eboxbow

Post by Oxbow » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:02 pm

We are probably the largest FARO rental provider in Germany. The X and S scanners have a good quality. We earn our money with it. The S series had some weaknesses, but it was the first small scanner on the market and is already some years ago.

We have 2 main types of rental customers. Beginners who want to test the technology or users who need loaner or additional equipment. Some customers have decided to rent and not to buy, because they only need scanners from time to time, but they know the technology and didnt need service provider. Abroad, e.g. UK, the rental rate is much higher. These are also financial aspects. If the customer has no knowledge, we require training. So that the projects also become a success. In addition, we teach our customers how to deal with high-quality measurement technology in the construction industry so that equipment does not fall over or get run over.

We are also occasionally asked to save customer projects, as the registration does not work. From customers who have scanned without training. Most of the time something gets put together, but the effort is huge.

Laser Scan Slawny
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Brent Slawnikowski
Company Details: FARO Technologies Inc
Company Position Title: Senior Account Manager

Post by Laser Scan Slawny » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:19 pm

On site registration sounds all rosey until you have 80+ scans to do and it goes belly up after 10 scans. Still good for pre processing but that doesn't take long back in the office anyway.
[/quote]

I assume you've worked with your local AM or FARO support with this issue? There could be an issue with the firewall blocking or other applications running in the background. I have clients pushing 50-60 and 200+ scans through onsite registration just fine. Onsite registration is not for all project though. Traditional scanning is sometimes a better fit, especially if the user needs to use the high def target scanning.

vislaw
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mark Johnson
Company Details: Visual Law Group
Company Position Title: Principal and Chief Creative Officer

Post by vislaw » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:29 pm

Randy Wag wrote:

Sorry you had trouble with your equipment. Our S120 is 6+ years old and its output still stacks up well with our newer scanners. We consider it one of the better investments we've made.

P3D Scan Tech
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Andrew Romulo
Company Details: Printeks 3d Scanning
Company Position Title: 3D Scanning Technician

Post by P3D Scan Tech » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:16 pm

Hey LSF community, beginning my journey into the world of 3D scanning and point clouds. Learned alot in a small time. This thread caught my interest simply because we started processing & registering in Scene and overcame many hurdles. 6 Months in and we just started registering our .FLS files in Recap Pro and so far preferring over Scene. What has been helpful for our clients is utilizing Webshare for point of reference not so much modelling. My question is does anyone have a workflow for registering in Recap and getting the point cloud back into Webshare? Appreciate any help! Thanks :D

Raimund58
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Raimund Klink
Company Details: IHM engineering GmbH
Company Position Title: 3d scanning guy
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Raimund58 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:57 am

P3D Scan Tech wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:16 pm
Hey LSF community, beginning my journey into the world of 3D scanning and point clouds. Learned alot in a small time. This thread caught my interest simply because we started processing & registering in Scene and overcame many hurdles. 6 Months in and we just started registering our .FLS files in Recap Pro and so far preferring over Scene. What has been helpful for our clients is utilizing Webshare for point of reference not so much modelling. My question is does anyone have a workflow for registering in Recap and getting the point cloud back into Webshare? Appreciate any help! Thanks :D
Hi, just export to .e57 and work from there. Import to Scene and upload to webshare. I think this workflow could work : )
:)

Return to “FARO SCENE”