Scan Point Cloud vs. Project Point Cloud vs. Scan Points

Discuss all FARO SCENE related software issues here.
DillonE
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Dillon Engelmann
Company Details: MCWB Architects
Company Position Title: Laser Scan Technician
Linkedin Profile: No

Scan Point Cloud vs. Project Point Cloud vs. Scan Points

Post by DillonE » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:06 pm

Hello all,

I am seeking understanding around what appears to be a new "feature" in Scene 2019. I have been working with the software for a couple months now, but those couple months have been saturated with Scene usage. Recently it seems that Scan Points (SP) - processed and registered scans that are collected in a similar cluster - are not affected by clipping boxes. Upon researching the matter the Faro Scene Manual makes note of a Scan Point Cloud (SPC). It would seem that the creation of a SPC is required before points are affected by a clipping box. This becomes an issue for any project that exceeds 20 scans, as the process for creating a SPC is quite slow. In effect, Scene has made it more difficult for me to do my job.

My questions are as follows:
1: What is a Scan Point Cloud, and how is it different from a Project Point Cloud or the Scan Points?
2: Why is a SPC required to manipulate my project. I have NEVER had to perform this step in the past.
3: Is there a way to expedite this new workflow?
4: It would appear that after creating a SPC, saving the project and exiting the software that my aforementioned SPC disappears. Why?

Any insight into the matter is much appreciated.

Dillon

TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of US Technical Operations
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Scan Point Cloud vs. Project Point Cloud vs. Scan Points

Post by TommyMaddox » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:44 pm

1. Scan Point Clouds are typically created automatically in the pre-processing step (or in the field if using OSR), and are a more efficient renderable version of the scan data (they are in FPC format instead of FLS). On my laptop it takes ~2 minutes to import, process, colorize, create scan pointclouds per scan for example.

Scan Point Clouds are essentially mini-Project pointclouds for each scan. Scan Point Clouds data structure is better suited to processing and visualization functions than the row-column data structure of the .FLS files.

Pros: You don't need to have tons of RAM to view large projects, or load scans into RAM in order to view the scans at all. They speed the viewing, top view, manipulation, cleaning/cropping, and C2C processes up.

Cons: It takes computational time to create these. It also generates extra data in the project folder (Which can be removed later if desired)

If you use exclusively well distributed target based registration, you can skip creating the scan pointclouds because they won't be useful for that workflow since you would only be analyzing the target location matching generally in a project with excellent and extensive target distribution.

If you have only a small number of scans, you should be able to skip creating the SPCs, and just perform all operations while loading scans into RAM, and then generate a project pointcloud, or export to your format of choice.

2. You can still view and manipulate your project, you just need to have sufficient RAM to load all or a given amount of scans into RAM, and you have to wait for the loading to complete if you are not using SPCs, which appear instantly.

3. I recommend ensuring that you have sufficient computational power available, feel free to PM me with your computer specs and I'll take a look and make recommendations accordingly. You would be surprised how many clients I run into that have an SSD, but aren't using it at all in SCENE, for example.

If you are performing the scans with an S series unit, using OSR, or even turning the registration off and simply letting it import and process the scans will save quite a bit of office time.

4. Your scan pointclouds shouldn't disappear. Support or myself would be happy to take a look and see what is going on there. There is a view setting in the scene settings that will cause the loaded scans to replace the scan point clouds in the view window if you load them. This may be enabled, or it might be a different issue.

We can also take a look at the clipping boxes, you can have them on a cluster level or on a project level. Sometimes there are issues if you have clipping boxes inside the space enclosed by other clipping boxes, or have a mix of loaded scans and scan pointclouds (which are technically separate entities that are transformation linked).

sreed
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Reed
Company Details: Prologue Systems
Company Position Title: Principal
Skype Name: sabotva

Post by sreed » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:49 pm

Great response Tommy!

I want aware of the setting to show SPC or loaded scans as an option. That's great. Love that SPC display as default, but even better if it's a selected option!

TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by TommyMaddox » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:03 pm

Options attached in a screenshot if someone needs it.

Also you can change the scans to default load by intensity instead of color if you prefer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DillonE
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Dillon Engelmann
Company Details: MCWB Architects
Company Position Title: Laser Scan Technician
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by DillonE » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:50 pm

Tommy,

Thanks so much for you insight. Has the workflow changed in the last 6 months regarding Scan Point Clouds? I wonder if this used to be something that happened automatically, and I've neglected a step, or if I have just not noticed a change in software. Now that i have gone through and created Scan Point Clouds for all of my clusters, everything is working just fine. The computation time worried me only because I saw this as an extra step. If in fact ive just been mistaken (more than likely) i would imagine that my time spent waiting for SPC would have otherwise been spent in the initial processing step.

For fun, computer specs are a Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.8 GHz, 2808 Mhz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors. I have two, 1 TB SSD drives which I work from. Being relatively new to this world, most of this means nothing to me... If you ever need some rigging done, or high angle rescue advice, I may be able to contribute.

Thanks again for your help!

TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by TommyMaddox » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:59 pm

No problem, happy to help.

My laptop specs are similar, so you should see roughly ~2 min times to import, process, filter, colorize, create scan pointclouds per scan.

If you have any questions you can always post here or drop me a PM.

SAttaya
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Attaya
Company Details: Geocent
Company Position Title: Sr. Software Analyst [RemoteSensingEngr]

Post by SAttaya » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:01 pm

TommyMaddox wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:44 pm
1. Scan Point Clouds are typically created automatically in the pre-processing step (or in the field if using OSR), and are a more efficient renderable version of the scan data (they are in FPC format instead of FLS). On my laptop it takes ~2 minutes to import, process, colorize, create scan pointclouds per scan for example.

Pros: You don't need to have tons of RAM to view large projects, or load scans into RAM in order to view the scans at all. They speed the viewing, top view, manipulation, cleaning/cropping, and C2C processes up.
Tommy,
1. the ~2 minutes is with what scan density/resolution (1/4, 1/5, etc)?
2. so C2C registration used the scan point clouds?

Return to “FARO SCENE”