Registering with previous projects.

Discuss all Leica Geosystems related issues here.
Post Reply
b_clive
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:42 am
Full Name: Clive Bugeja
Company Details: ARC International Surveyors Ltd.
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Country: Malta

Registering with previous projects.

Post by b_clive » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:45 am

I have been dealing with this for quite a while. Thought someone out there would have a better process from which I could learn something new.
So when a situation arises that I have to use an older project (let's say 2-3 years old) to tie mt new cloud to I use the following process:

-Open a new database
-Import the new clouds
-Get the relevant clouds (clouds with common scenes between the 2 different project dates) with control points form the older project in this new
database by copy/paste.
-Do a new registration including all clouds and control points.

Till there no issues. Now sometimes once I unify the new modelspace i like to copy the old modelspace from the old database and paste in temporarily in the new one so that I check for errors (if any). This copy/paste I think that sometimes it messes up my new database and keeps giving my errors that the database got corrupted.

Is there a way to fix these corrupted databases? or maybe use a different approach rather than copy/paste from the old database?

User avatar
stevenramsey
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1684
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:22 pm
Full Name: Steven Ramsey
Company Details: 4DMax
Company Position Title: Technical Specialist Scanning
Country: UK
Skype Name: steven.ramsey
Linkedin Profile: Yes
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Registering with previous projects.

Post by stevenramsey » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:19 am

You could try

Create new database, import new scans.
Use ref copy of the relevant registrations from the old DB in to the new one
Create a registration of your new data.
Create a new registration and bring in your registered scanworld of the new data and a registered scanworld of the old DB
open the Control space of the old registration (named what ever you called the combined registration) and delete all irrelevant data clouds or targets
Do the registration.

Your new database will stay small (no copy or paste)
Steven Ramsey

Home steven.ramsey@laserscanningforum.com
Work steven@4DMax.co.uk
Mobile +44 7766 310 915

User avatar
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Posts: 1703
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:16 am
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe
Country: UK
Linkedin Profile: Yes
Location: UK

Re: Registering with previous projects.

Post by pburrows145 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:30 am

Do you use the Import Registration option in Cyclone REGISTER at all?

User avatar
stevenramsey
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1684
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:22 pm
Full Name: Steven Ramsey
Company Details: 4DMax
Company Position Title: Technical Specialist Scanning
Country: UK
Skype Name: steven.ramsey
Linkedin Profile: Yes
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Registering with previous projects.

Post by stevenramsey » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:47 am

All the time, but that wouldn't solve the requirements above. If you used import registration from the original job to the new job aspects of the original data would move. Import registration is used where at least one of the registrations needs to adjust to a another
Steven Ramsey

Home steven.ramsey@laserscanningforum.com
Work steven@4DMax.co.uk
Mobile +44 7766 310 915

User avatar
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Posts: 1703
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:16 am
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe
Country: UK
Linkedin Profile: Yes
Location: UK

Re: Registering with previous projects.

Post by pburrows145 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:02 pm

stevenramsey wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:47 am
All the time, but that wouldn't solve the requirements above. If you used import registration from the original job to the new job aspects of the original data would move. Import registration is used where at least one of the registrations needs to adjust to a another
OK, missed that need...

In the case above I import the finalised scanworld(s) into a new registration (thus maintaining the "lock" on both "bundles" (I cannot stop using new terminology)) and do a visual alignment or cloud to cloud... can be cumbersome sometimes, but has never failed me.

Apologies if I misunderstood... #bowdowntothemaster ;)

b_clive
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:42 am
Full Name: Clive Bugeja
Company Details: ARC International Surveyors Ltd.
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Country: Malta

Re: Registering with previous projects.

Post by b_clive » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:23 pm

stevenramsey wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:19 am
You could try

Create new database, import new scans.
Use ref copy of the relevant registrations from the old DB in to the new one
Create a registration of your new data.
Create a new registration and bring in your registered scanworld of the new data and a registered scanworld of the old DB
open the Control space of the old registration (named what ever you called the combined registration) and delete all irrelevant data clouds or targets
Do the registration.

Your new database will stay small (no copy or paste)
So with this same method would it be possible to ref copy the actual registration from the old db and then copy the the clouds from there. Would they still come ad referenced. The thing is that it is only a temporary procedure till i visually confirm that my new registration is correct and exactly superimposed on the old one.

Will also try out your method above and see if it fits better ;)

b_clive
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:42 am
Full Name: Clive Bugeja
Company Details: ARC International Surveyors Ltd.
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Country: Malta

Re: Registering with previous projects.

Post by b_clive » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:27 pm

pburrows145 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:02 pm
stevenramsey wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:47 am
All the time, but that wouldn't solve the requirements above. If you used import registration from the original job to the new job aspects of the original data would move. Import registration is used where at least one of the registrations needs to adjust to a another
OK, missed that need...

In the case above I import the finalised scanworld(s) into a new registration (thus maintaining the "lock" on both "bundles" (I cannot stop using new terminology)) and do a visual alignment or cloud to cloud... can be cumbersome sometimes, but has never failed me.

Apologies if I misunderstood... #bowdowntothemaster ;)
Didn’t think you could do a visual registration on two frozen registrations? Is it the case?

Post Reply

Return to “Leica Geosystems”