Homemade Targets?

Discuss all Leica Geosystems related issues here.
tadol
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Tad Laird
Company Details: Koppa Target Spheres
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Homemade Targets?

Post by tadol » Wed May 08, 2019 10:17 pm

Well, if it ain't seeing a Koppa target, then there is definitely a problem -

If the folks at Leica need to borrow a few targets to get it fixed, they're welcome to call me -

:D
http://www.KoppaTargets.com
Inexpensive Laser Scanning Targets & Accessories
for Architecture, Engineering, & Forensics
Now Available thru the FARO product catalog

Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Scott » Wed May 08, 2019 10:55 pm

tadol wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:17 pm
Well, if it ain't seeing a Koppa target, then there is definitely a problem -
If the folks at Leica need to borrow a few targets to get it fixed, they're welcome to call me -
:D
I wonder if it's the wavelength of the laser, the BKL360's unique gold-coated mirror*, or a combination of both, that is affecting reflectivity?
Would a different sphere coating (other than 'white') be of help, despite lowering reflectivity back to the sensor?

* 'These optics provide >96% average reflectance from 800 nm to 20 μm." (Similar spec.)
https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9. ... oup_id=744

ericguizzetti
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Guizzetti
Company Details: Leica Dealer
Company Position Title: Tech OP
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by ericguizzetti » Fri May 17, 2019 9:37 pm

pilatquinton wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:49 pm
I have now been scanning with the BLK360 for about 8 months now, and have learned a lot along the way. Registering scans with targets simplifies the workflow, and makes my scans accurate as ever....if Register 360 even picks them up. We have a series of homemade 2D targets (paper adhered to 6"x6" steel squares), and while they work great in some cases, they are practically useless in others. Register 360 simply doesn't want to pick up these targets, or if it does, it doesn't pick the correct center.

Is this just a case of our homemade ones not being "good enough"? The prices that these manufacturers charge for 2D targets is outrageous, and I have yet to find any evidence that the materials/process they use to make them will make them anymore successful than the ones we fabricated in our shop.

We have also been attempting to fabricate our own spherical targets for some time now, and have had zero luck in getting Register 360 to recognize them.

Have you guys made any homemade targets? What materials did you use, and how successful were they? Please post pictures as well, I'm really curious to see how different everybody's look!
sometimes you just need to use the Virtual target control and self label. I tested a bunch of targets and I have enterprise agreements with PCL, DPR, and now Turner and need them to work. I would love to make you some targets if you want.

Image Image

by the way the Grey ones suck. BLACK and White rule...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eric Guizzetti
Datum Tech Solutions
Los Angeles

#BLKRoadtrip
#RTC360
#RTCroadtrip

www.datumtechsolutions.com

Return to “Leica Geosystems”