Cyclone 360 to Recap results in blurred scans

3DVEM, Leica Cyclone, FARO Scene, LFM Suite, Autodesk ReCAP, Riegl RiScan Pro, Trimble RealWorks, Etc.
oldmanmike
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Michael Parotti
Company Details: RoehrSchmitt Architecture
Company Position Title: Designer

Cyclone 360 to Recap results in blurred scans

Post by oldmanmike » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:57 pm

Hello,

I am pretty new to laser scanning, so I apologize if my terminology isn't quite on par. I work at a small architecture firm and we basically taught ourselves how to scan and register. We primarily use Recap and export to .rcs to use in Revit. Our scanner is a Faro Focus 3D.

Our firm is trying to decide if we want to use Cyclone Register 360 for our registration process. We've been utilizing the free trial of Cyclone and though we really like it, but I have encountered an issue in the process.

First, I bring the scans into Cyclone and register them. I think the process of stitching them together works way better than in Recap, so I would like to be able to purchase and use Cyclone for future projects. However, we use .rcs files in Revit to model around the point cloud. So the next part of my process has been to export .e57 from Cyclone, import into Recap (skip registration), save, export it to .rcp which creates .rcs (in the Support folder) and use that file in Revit.

Here's my issue: after exporting to .e57 and importing into Recap, when I click into the mirror balls to view the scans, many are now blurred. The scans themselves seem to be fine, because if I import the same scans and register them in Recap in the first place, there doesn't seem to be a problem.

I have attached images showing a culprit scan first in Cyclone, then in Recap from Cyclone, and finally in Recap but not having gone through Cyclone.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!
LCR360.PNG
ARecap-01.PNG
ARecap-02.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

topogeo
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: piercarlo roasio
Company Details: studio roasio
Company Position Title: titolare
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Cyclone 360 to Recap results in blurred scans

Post by topogeo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:40 pm

with the latest version of reacp (6.0.0.110) coming out a few days ago, the problem should have been solved
Piercarlo

oldmanmike
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Michael Parotti
Company Details: RoehrSchmitt Architecture

Post by oldmanmike » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:31 pm

topogeo wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:40 pm
with the latest version of reacp (6.0.0.110) coming out a few days ago, the problem should have been solved
Piercarlo
Thanks for the feedback. Is this a known issue with Recap?

gnuiorc_mda
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Giovanni Scocchera
Company Details: Meridian Design Associates

Post by gnuiorc_mda » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:02 pm

oldmanmike wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:57 pm
First, I bring the scans into Cyclone and register them. I think the process of stitching them together works way better than in Recap, so I would like to be able to purchase and use Cyclone for future projects. However, we use .rcs files in Revit to model around the point cloud. So the next part of my process has been to export .e57 from Cyclone, import into Recap (skip registration), save, export it to .rcp which creates .rcs (in the Support folder) and use that file in Revit.
Based on a few tests I run in the beginning when we got the BLK, the best format to go from Register 360 to Recap is .pts
I do not remember exactly (I have to look at home at the .xls file with my report) but I htink I decided not to go the .e57 road because of the visual distortion you are mentioning.

Gio

Return to “Registration Software”