RTC360 for CSI/Public Safety

Discuss all Leica Geosystems related issues here.
dineshkimraj
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Dinesh Kimraj
Company Details: Facilities Construction Consultants Ltd
Company Position Title: Senior Reality Capture Tech
Linkedin Profile: Yes

RTC360 for CSI/Public Safety

Post by dineshkimraj » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:47 pm

Good day all. My company is currently looking into the feasibility of using 3D laser scanning to help in CSI. We currently have a RTC360.
Has anyone used this scanner for CSI work? I have seen a webinar where the P Series and BLK360 was used. We are hoping that we would not have to invest in another scanner.

Also, would the RTC360 be able to scan during rain? Has anyone scanned in the rain before?

Thanks in advance.

geomontgomery
I have made 70-80 posts
I have made 70-80 posts
Full Name: George Montgomery
Company Details: ECE Design
Company Position Title: Support Manager

Re: RTC360 for CSI/Public Safety

Post by geomontgomery » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:00 pm

Hopefully you are using or are also aware of Leica MAP360 for CSI (Crime Scene Investigation) work: http://ims.leica-geosystems.com/map360

The RTC360 is a great fit for this type of work - high quality point cloud and image capture, low scan time, and integrated cloud cleaning with the "dual scan pass" feature.

The P Series, BLK360, and RTC360 are all Ingress Protection rating 54 http://www.enclosurecompany.com/ip-rati ... lained.php , meaning protection from spray up to 60 deg from vertical. I have demoed with the RTC360 in the rain and the data came out fine with no issues.

dineshkimraj
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Dinesh Kimraj
Company Details: Facilities Construction Consultants Ltd
Company Position Title: Senior Reality Capture Tech

Post by dineshkimraj » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:11 pm

geomontgomery wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:00 pm
Hopefully you are using or are also aware of Leica MAP360 for CSI (Crime Scene Investigation) work: http://ims.leica-geosystems.com/map360

The RTC360 is a great fit for this type of work - high quality point cloud and image capture, low scan time, and integrated cloud cleaning with the "dual scan pass" feature.

The P Series, BLK360, and RTC360 are all Ingress Protection rating 54 http://www.enclosurecompany.com/ip-rati ... lained.php , meaning protection from spray up to 60 deg from vertical. I have demoed with the RTC360 in the rain and the data came out fine with no issues.
Great news on the RTC360. We are aware of the ingress protection but this is something that we don't really want to have to test.

Yes we are aware of Map360. Downloaded a Demo but trying to get some tutorials on how to use it.

MajorDomo
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Major Domo
Company Details: VeritasVfx
Company Position Title: ceo
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by MajorDomo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:00 pm

As for water ingress, the scanner will survive.

But if it is anything like the P-series, it will stop once water gets inside the mirror assembly, causing an imbalance and triggers an alarm, with an immediate shutdown. It's not pleasant or quick to scan in the rain, you will lose the day to these shutdowns, as it takes around 30 minutes to dry out, even with aircon to dry up the air.

My tip is to either put some plastic on top of the scanner, or to simply hold an umbrella over it while scanning, otherwise it can be 30 minutes until the the scanner is ready to go again.

At the end of the day, don't close the case and give it at least one hour in an aircon environment to dry up.

pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Post by pburrows145 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:31 am

dineshkimraj wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:47 pm
Good day all. My company is currently looking into the feasibility of using 3D laser scanning to help in CSI. We currently have a RTC360.
Has anyone used this scanner for CSI work? I have seen a webinar where the P Series and BLK360 was used. We are hoping that we would not have to invest in another scanner.

Also, would the RTC360 be able to scan during rain? Has anyone scanned in the rain before?

Thanks in advance.

youtu.be/xrsCKCasfG8 - this organisation just bought a LOT of units for CSI and CI.

Return to “Leica Geosystems”