3DConnexion Spacemouse

Discuss all FARO SCENE related software issues here.
skrackodla
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Anders Helgeson
Company Details: Falun Municipality
Company Position Title: Laser Scanner Operator

3DConnexion Spacemouse

Post by skrackodla » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:25 pm

Hi!

I'm new to scanning and just learning Scene. Found an old 3DConnexion Spacemouse Pro at the office and hooked it up. Did nothing to it and it worked perfectly with Scene. Push forward/backward to zoom in and out. Perfect!
Thing is, after i restarted my computer it doesn't work anymore, or working to well. Now it's all over the place with zoom and paning like crazy, and i can not for the life of me get it back. All i want is zoom (i do config a few buttons as well), can anyone help?

Thanks!
//Anders

Scene 2019 on 64 Windows.

3DForensics
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: eliscio

Re: 3DConnexion Spacemouse

Post by 3DForensics » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:59 pm

Just right click the 3D mouse button and a menu will come up with advanced settings. You can control everything from there. In the worst case, download the latest drivers and you should get access to this menu.

Eugene

sreed
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Reed
Company Details: Prologue Systems
Company Position Title: Principal
Skype Name: sabotva
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by sreed » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:05 pm

Yes, what Eugene said is right.

But, if you're new to Scene you might not be aware of the "center of rotation" setting. In the first instance when it worked as you liked, the center of rotation was probably somewhere in the middle of your screen so it behaved. If this center of rotation is way off the screen or far in the distance, it will behave strangely. You can always manually select the center of rotation, or automatically have it update to center of screen.

Also, make sure you're in the right navigation mode (orbit vs. fly).

If the above doesn't work as a first step, by all means do as Eugene suggests! Good luck.

skrackodla
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by skrackodla » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:20 am

3DForensics wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:59 pm
Just right click the 3D mouse button and a menu will come up with advanced settings. You can control everything from there. In the worst case, download the latest drivers and you should get access to this menu.

Eugene
I've been in the advanced settings and tried every combination possible, and non of them gives me zoom only.
This was the default function when i first tried it and weirdly the setting was pan/zoom and only push left/right was active (the first one).
I thought that Scene maybe wasn't optimized due to the interpretation of the settings, but it gave me exactly what i wanted and now i can't replicate the effect in the settings.
Panning is of no interest to me, nor is tilting or rotating.

Thank you for your answer!

skrackodla
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by skrackodla » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:46 am

sreed wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:05 pm
Yes, what Eugene said is right.

But, if you're new to Scene you might not be aware of the "center of rotation" setting. In the first instance when it worked as you liked, the center of rotation was probably somewhere in the middle of your screen so it behaved. If this center of rotation is way off the screen or far in the distance, it will behave strangely. You can always manually select the center of rotation, or automatically have it update to center of screen.

Also, make sure you're in the right navigation mode (orbit vs. fly).

If the above doesn't work as a first step, by all means do as Eugene suggests! Good luck.
Hi! If it's the same as "Set rotation point" i've tried it and makes no difference. By the way, how do you automatically update it to center?

3DForensics
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by 3DForensics » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:18 pm

I am not sure what you mean by getting "zoom only" so let's back up for a moment...

The 3D Space Mouse is going to allow you rotate your model around on the screen or you can choose to have it rotate the viewing position. Pushing forward and pulling backward on the mouse will change the camera's position to closer or farther away. When you say "zoom", this is different as in Scene it means you are not moving anything and just changing the "lens". This is equivalent to scrolling the mouse wheel which is like changing the zoom on your camera...you were always in the same place, but the focal length is changing.

So, here are some questions....

What viewing mode are you using in Scene? i.e. Smart, Fly, Examine...?
Can you please specify (and be sure to test) the settings in the Space Mouse menu? Perhaps post a screenshot?
There is a free program called CloudCompare and you should test your 3D mouse in that program to verify it is working.

Regards,

Eugene

Felix_the_Cat
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter
Full Name: Felix
Company Details: Lockheed Martin
Company Position Title: Senior Member Engineering Staff

Post by Felix_the_Cat » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:35 pm

Mine goes nuts unless you move the speed sliders all the way to “slow” in both screens. The big main one, and then the individual sliders in the advanced screen. Also in the advanced screen, I believe you can uncheck and disable some or all of the functions if you wish.

And just as an aside about cloudcompare, on our machines it crashes after a few space mouse inputs. It works ok for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3DForensics
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by 3DForensics » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:44 pm

Really? It works excellent for me in CloudCompare. Never have crashes due to 3D mouse. In fact, I prefer using it in CloudCompare as it seems to be more intuitive for some reason.

skrackodla
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by skrackodla » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:00 pm

Yeah, what i want is to replace the scroll wheel on my regular mouse with the spacemouse (by pushing it forwards and backwards), and to be able to use the standard CTRL, ALT and so on as well as using the 1 and 2-button on the spacemouse as - and +.
Just got me a brand new computer and now i can't even get the buttons to do as i want...

(It works fine in the 3D Connexion tutorial)

3DForensics
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by 3DForensics » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:35 pm

Are you sure you have the right drivers installed? Please test it in CloudCompare and report back. If it doesn’t work there, then something needs to change. Perhaps someone from FARO can chime in as well.

Return to “FARO SCENE”