I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Caleb Sayers
Company Details: VIP AA
Company Position Title: Architectural Designer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Scene 2019 RAM

Post by DoctaSayas »

I have a couple of questions about the RAM requirements for Scene and Scene Lt:

Is anyone out there successfully using Scene to register projects with 32gb of RAM ?

I know Faro Recommends 64gb, but that seems way high... I recently did a registration on a small project(40 scans) with ReCap on a machine with 16gb RAM. I Had a meeting with a guy who was using Cyclone Register 360, on a Microsoft Surface. Meanwhile, I couldne't even get Scene Lt to run on my current Laptop.

Is Scene just, like, a crazy resource hog ?

I like to work on a laptop, and I'm having a sort of hard time finding one with 4 slots for memory, any recommendations out there?

Also, is anyone using Cyclone Register 360, with a Faro scanner? Or is that a terrible idea?

Thanks!
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Re: Scene 2019 RAM

Post by steves01x »

Scan have laptops that come with 64gb ram - i have an old 3XS series one with 32gb and its never let me down!
sheartab
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Sheartab
Company Details: Arch Eng Design Firm
Company Position Title: BIM Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by sheartab »

I have 64gb, so I can't answer your question directly. But from what I've been told, SCENE was tuned to use every available resource it can access by design. So I can see why you are experiencing issues running other software while registering.
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by Scott »

I've been using Scene since 2012 on a 27" iMac with 32gb of RAM -it's been fine, overall. Use 'Bootcamp' to partition the hard drive for Windows, and to access all 32gb. 64gb of RAM can't hurt. I bought the Mac just before I purchased the Focus, so I was forced to make it work (it has). It's nice to have both operating systems available.
LPaulCook
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: L Paul Cook
Company Details: Land surveyor doing LiDAR
Company Position Title: President

Post by LPaulCook »

DELL has great workstation laptops. I have one i use with SCENE all the time. It has 64GB RAM. My 5 yr old DELL Desktop workstation has 128 GB RAM although it seldom uses over 64...
L. Paul Cook, PLS
www.LPC3D.com
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead

Post by Matt Young »

I've been registering data with Scene 2018 on 32 Gb RAM (can't install 2019 at the moment) and it's been fine, never really maxes out. If I try to auto register a large number of scans it might slow a bit. But I keep the numbers of scans in clusters to a minimum.
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.
davegrrr
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: David Gray
Company Details: Correvate Limited
Company Position Title: Head of Marketing
Skype Name: David Gray

Post by davegrrr »

DoctaSayas wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:44 pm I like to work on a laptop, and I'm having a sort of hard time finding one with 4 slots for memory, any recommendations out there?
Hi Caleb,

Reading your post I couldn't help thinking you would probably be a great candidate to enrol for our new Cloud Registration Programme which we will be launching any day now. Whilst it will require an internet connection, registering data in the cloud will free up your laptop to carry out less RAM-hungry tasks in Scene.

Drop me an email if you're interested and I'll get you hooked up: [email protected]

Best,
David
---
David Gray, Head of Marketing
Vercator software - fast, automatic point cloud registration • vercator.com
Made by Correvate Ltd
Tanguy Nédélec
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: NEDELEC Tanguy
Company Details: Prigent et Associes
Company Position Title: Surveyor - nooks and crannies explorer

Post by Tanguy Nédélec »

I only have 16 GB and it's working all right. I assume it takes longer to register (C2C) when Scene can't load all the scans of a cluster in memory at once, because it has to do it bit by bit. I can see Scene loading a few scans, registering them, then unloading them before loading some other more.
So I would advise you go for 32 GB at least.
JohnBunnFARO
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: John Bunn
Company Details: FARO
Company Position Title: Account Manager

Post by JohnBunnFARO »

DoctaSayas wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:44 pm I have a couple of questions about the RAM requirements for Scene and Scene Lt:

Is anyone out there successfully using Scene to register projects with 32gb of RAM ?

I know Faro Recommends 64gb, but that seems way high... I recently did a registration on a small project(40 scans) with ReCap on a machine with 16gb RAM. I Had a meeting with a guy who was using Cyclone Register 360, on a Microsoft Surface. Meanwhile, I couldne't even get Scene Lt to run on my current Laptop.

Is Scene just, like, a crazy resource hog ?

I like to work on a laptop, and I'm having a sort of hard time finding one with 4 slots for memory, any recommendations out there?

Also, is anyone using Cyclone Register 360, with a Faro scanner? Or is that a terrible idea?

Thanks!
16GB is definitely enough to get a decent speed from Scene. Typically everything with processing/registering the data is all about your bottleneck.

For example, if you are reading scans from an external USB drive or off of the network, this will be your bottleneck and will slow the entire process down to a halt. I have had customers who took 44 hours to process and register a project, and when i made them switch to local hard drives, it took 1 hr and 12 mins.

Assuming you are working off of local hard drives, the next bottle-neck is typically memory. 16GB will bottleneck any 8-core CPU, but this is only because the latest version of Scene has been massively improved to take advantage of all CPU cores.

Long story short, 16GB will get the job done, and 32GB will have you flying. Yes, Scene is definitely a memory hog, but I actually want my processing/registration software to take all of my resources to get the job done as fast as possible. The bulk of time should be spent working with the registered data-set, not creating it.
Half Nerd, Half Amazing
pomped
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Pompe
Company Details: FARO
Company Position Title: Team Lead Software Engineering

Post by pomped »

To add some details:
The recommeded RAM size of 64GB wil ensure that you are able to work with scans also with extrem settings (e.g. full resolution scan + 5x HDR).
In general more memory will help for some kinds of tasks like processing or point cloud registration (top view based, cloud to cloud) so that more scans can be held in memory at the same time which will result in faster times.

Return to “FARO”