Which kind of scanner would be needed for internal vehicle + high precision mirror surface

Please feel free to ask other members for help with certain projects
elect
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Giuseppe Barbieri
Company Details: Reknow GmbH
Company Position Title: Developer
Skype Name: elect86
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Which kind of scanner would be needed for internal vehicle + high precision mirror surface

Post by elect » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:21 pm

Hi,

since I'm a total newbie in the 3d scanner field, I thought I might get some valuable help on a higly specialized forum like this one.

From the position of the driver, I'd first need to 3d-scan the internal of the given vehicle.

The requirements are the following:

- the internal of the vehicle can be also relative raw (in the order of mm)
- very high precision of the normals of the rear-mirrors surfaces

When I say very high, I mean that the retrieved normal on the surface should not deviate more than 1e-4 mm from the real one.

I have no idea if such precision is achievable or less, in negative case, I'm willing to take whatever precision is the lowest.

Also, I read the scanners may have problems with reflective (/transparent) surfaces, which is here the case since we are talking about mirrors.
I read some spray/baby-powder may be used as workaround but I'm worried this may affect the precision.

I saw there are several types of scanner technologies (triangulation, conoscopic holography, structured-light, modulated light, etc). Useless to say I have no clue which best fits my case.

Ps: I also wonder if I shall use two different (type of) scanners, one for the vehicle and another one just for the mirrors.

Can you give me some tips, guys? :)

Stephen.Strand
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Stephen Strand
Company Details: Self-Employed
Company Position Title: Seeking Scanning Opportunities
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Which kind of scanner would be needed for internal vehicle + high precision mirror surface

Post by Stephen.Strand » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:19 pm

I think the best route here is like you mentioned, using two different scanners.

A handheld scanner will be best for interior, then tie that in with a Tscan or arm scanner for the mirrors. Some laser based scanners can scan mirrors without spray, but most will need spray. Something else we’ve done is used a sticker with a known thickness and put that on the mirror, then it’s just a simple offset.

We’d be glad to help you execute, we do rentals, sales, and can even perform the scanning for you if you want.

Contact me if you want to talk more.

Stephen Strand
sstrand@eastcoastmetrology.com
757-344-7392

Return to “Request Help With Projects”