I have made <0 posts
Full Name: max
Company Details: Engineering company
Company Position Title: Survey Department Office tech
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Looking for options and opinions

Post by M_B_S » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:07 pm

Good morning to all.
my name is Max and our company currently purchased a drone and a lidar to do, for now, topographic surveys for our clients (50+/- acre sites). We use Inertial Explorer 8.70 & ScanLook PC to reduce lidar data and create LAS / LAZ files. We use Global Mapper and a little bit of Carlson Point cloud to work with LAZ and LAS files to create our contour data and or surfaces. each software has good and some not so good things about it. I have a lot to learn about both and slowly getting better, but once again, a lot to learn. with that said, I am looking for opinions on what software is better and very user friendly, that can help me to continue to do the same work but also, looking ahead, being able to extract hard surfaces (i.e. curb lines, road striping, breaklines, etc.) In the office we use C3D to do engineering work and C3D and Carlson for surveying work.
Open to anything that would help me do the following:
1. easy processing
2. software that can handle large projects and help me to deliver great product to client and our engineering department
3. customer support that actually have knowledgeable product support folks and not salesmen.

thank you all in advance.

JimQVargo
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: James Quirin
Company Details: Vargo Associates
Company Position Title: Reality Capture Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Looking for options and opinions

Post by JimQVargo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:48 pm

Welcome to the forum. I might be able to give you some information based on what we use.... What kind of drone and LiDAR unit did you purchase?

M_B_S
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by M_B_S » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:54 pm

Jim thank you for replying to my message. We have a DJI M600 Pro is the drone and LIDARUSA Snoopy A-Series HDL-32E

lastools
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Martin Isenburg
Company Details: rapidlasso - fast tools to catch reality
Company Position Title: creators of LAStools and LASzip
Skype Name: isenburg

Post by lastools » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:58 am

Hello from @LAStools,

do you have any interesting sample data available from some test flights with your drone? We at rapidlasso GmbH like to blog about processing LiDAR data from various platforms and we made one post about a Snoopy system so far:

https://rapidlasso.com/2018/05/01/new-s ... -lidarusa/

Maybe your data could make for another interesting article, assuming we could also provide the sample data for free download.

Regards,

Martin @rapidlasso

smacl
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:25 am

Blatant self promotion, but our own software SCC is very strong for fully automated and semi-automated rapid extraction of topographic features from road and rail. A couple of examples below with many more videos on our youtube channel here

Automated extraction of white lines
Automated extraction of curbs

For Civil3D we can work with DWG and LandXML as well as DGN, IFC and other formats and have recently added options to publish to Potree and extract high resolution bitmaps and videos. Let me know if you'd like a demo license to have a play around with.

M_B_S
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by M_B_S » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:42 pm

shane,
did you get an email from me?
smacl wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:25 am
Blatant self promotion, but our own software SCC is very strong for fully automated and semi-automated rapid extraction of topographic features from road and rail. A couple of examples below with many more videos on our youtube channel here

Automated extraction of white lines
Automated extraction of curbs

For Civil3D we can work with DWG and LandXML as well as DGN, IFC and other formats and have recently added options to publish to Potree and extract high resolution bitmaps and videos. Let me know if you'd like a demo license to have a play around with.

Return to “Introductions”