I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Seth Bontrager
Company Details: Premier Custom Carpentry
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Focus X130 Heat/Inclinometer Issues

Post by SethB » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:34 pm

Hello,

I am currently using a Focus X130 to scan interior & exteriors of residential single living homes. These homes are anywhere from 2,000 to 5,000 sq ft, on about an acre of land. I am located in the Tampa, Florida area and have been having some issues with exterior scanning in the hot summer months. I am usually doing pretty low resolution/low quality scans that last about 1-2 minutes with no color capturing. I use the scans to generate floor plans, exterior elevations, etc.

Typically, I am able to scan for about 30-45 minutes outside until the scanner heats up. The scanner will then get stuck during the inclinometer capturing step and will either shoot me an error message about inclinometer failure or just keep spinning until I force shut down the unit. If I allow the unit to cool down for a few minutes I can usually begin scanning again until it freezes again. I've checked the temperature of the device and it is always within the operable range. I have had no issue with running the device inside, even for several hours.

My theory is that the sun exposure is causing the scanner to bog down even though it's ambient temperature is tolerable. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues or is aware of this, and if there is any remedies. I have read on this forum about some user's making an 'ice pack', but I'm not sure I would trust something like this.

Thanks!

bruce_raymond
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Bruce Raymond
Company Details: Adair Engineering
Company Position Title: Senior Mechanical Supervisor
Skype Name: bruce.r.raymond
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Focus X130 Heat/Inclinometer Issues

Post by bruce_raymond » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:26 pm

SethB - take a look at my comments on how to beat the heat this thread: