I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Brad Inggs
Company Details: SiDD
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Point Cloud Viewer

Post by Brad Inggs » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:47 pm

Hi All
My client wants online access to his data. They have used Leica Truview but cannot install it on all pc's as the design team is spread globally. They want online access through a web browser on multiple device types. Leica Truview Cloud is an option but is very expensive. Does anyone have experience with a similar request or other point cloud hosting options?
Many thanks.

gordonired
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Gordon
Company Details: IRED
Company Position Title: Support Engineer

Re: Point Cloud Viewer

Post by gordonired » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:59 pm

For general viewing and simple tools such as measurements, I've taken a liking to Voxxlr. It's very affordable, and fulfills my short wish list of being able to share a cloud with anyone on a variety of devices.

jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Worrell
Company Details: Bennett and Francis
Company Position Title: Director

Post by jamesworrell » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:59 pm

Don't use it - but Pointerra might be a go .. apparently SketchFab Massive is to support point cloud too when it gets rolling.

Looking forward to TruView Local going to HTML5 .. ie sans plug-in .. this coming guys?

Mrk
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Mark Lane
Company Details: Convert3D
Company Position Title: BIM guy

Post by Mrk » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:01 am

I use free google cloud credit to host my point clouds using the Potree viewer. Similar to this - http://www.potree.org/potree/examples/viewer.html

PM me if you'd like some help.

fillway
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Philip Weyhe
Company Details: 3DGS
Company Position Title: CTO

Post by fillway » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:50 pm

Mrk wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:01 am
I use free google cloud credit to host my point clouds using the Potree viewer. Similar to this - http://www.potree.org/potree/examples/viewer.html

PM me if you'd like some help.
I second Potree, the documentation is a little sparse, and you have to be comfortable in a command line environment, but otherwise it's a pretty solid tool.
Philip Weyhe
CTO @ 3DGS.io
linkedin.com/in/fillway
www.3DGS.io

mschuetz
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Markus Schuetz
Company Details: potree.org
Company Position Title: developer
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by mschuetz » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:15 am

I third Potree! (Disclaimer: I'm the developer)
Take a look at some more examples in the Showcase: http://potree.org/

Potree and PotreeConverter are available here: https://github.com/potree/potree

And if you don't have a local web server or nodejs, you can also use PotreeDesktop to take a look at the converted samples and modify your html files until you're happy. Can even be used to drag&drop cloud.js files or the containing folder into the scene: https://github.com/potree/PotreeDesktop
(Uses Electron to make native-ish desktop Apps out of web-pages, same thing Visual Studio Code and Atom use)

dmercel
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: David Mercel
Company Details: 3DUserNet Ltd
Company Position Title: Development Diector

Post by dmercel » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:37 pm

If you want to give your clients flexibility to save measurements and annotate the data then please feel free to give 3DUserNet a try. We use Potree to help display the pointcloud but we also provide additional tools to make it easier to implement (upload data and manage it) and save work online. So you get all the benefits without the complexities of using the command line and setting up your own servers / server accounts etc.

We have also just released a handy Social Media tool that makes it easy to share your work with others and generate more interest. You can check this out here.

If you want to give 3DUserNet a try then we have a FREE 30-Day trial that you can sign up to on our website. We are actively developing new features all the time and are very open to hearing your feedback.

Thanks,

Dave

LeicaHDS_SW_PM
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: LeicaHDS SW Product Management
Company Details: Leica Geosystems
Company Position Title: Leica Geosystems

Post by LeicaHDS_SW_PM » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:10 pm

Hi Folks,

Although TruView Cloud provides the flexibility to grow your subscription over time to meet growing needs, if the cloud service model is not ideal for a project budget, TruView Enterprise is a customer-deployed solution. You can set this up on your own intranet and provide access to your customers, or host it online as well. Currently TVE is available in VM-based architecture, but in the very near future (ie, a few weeks), TVE will get a Windows installer as well for much easier, faster, deployment for users unfamiliar with a Linux environment for the VM version. TVE offers 10 or 25 “Portals” for customer/project organization, and unlimited projects and unlimited setups. We highly recommend you speak with your Leica sales representative for more information.

Additionally, for the comments on TruView Local (our current ActiveX plugin version), yes, we are working on a next-generation version. Stay tuned.

-Leica Geosystems HDS Software Product Management Team

jochenstier
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Jochen Stier
Company Details: Geist Software Labs
Company Position Title: Founder
Skype Name: jochen.stier

Post by jochenstier » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:53 pm

Have you tried Voxxlr yet ? It can handle very large point clouds pretty much straight from the scanner. The largest data set so far was 2 Billion points in a 60GB upload. Voxxlr does its own filtering and post-processing to optimize the data for streaming and to support different visualization techniques. There is also a growing number of tools to take measurements, add annotations, define clipping regions and even generate high resolution pdfs.

Here is a sample of scan in the Viewer, which you would share with clients. Here is a link to the same scan in the Editor, where you can manipulate the scan and manage the account.

Every account comes with a free allocation, after which Voxxlr works on a pay per use basis for storage and bandwidth. Fixed price plans are under development, but the pay per use model is almost always more cost effective, since fixed plans are capped anyways.

Return to “General Chat”