RTC360 - who has one? What’s the status?

Discuss all Leica Geosystems related issues here.
ericguizzetti
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Guizzetti
Company Details: Leica Dealer
Company Position Title: Tech OP
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: RTC360 - who has one? What’s the status?

Post by ericguizzetti » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:20 pm

What version of the software/>? Is the XML file there? We have seen a bug when sharing that the XML files gets broken.
Eric Guizzetti
Datum Tech Solutions
Los Angeles

#BLKRoadtrip
#RTC360
#RTCroadtrip

www.datumtechsolutions.com

Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ioannis Papas
Company Details: techical office
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: -

Post by Ioannis » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:35 am

Can anyone confirm which is the best configuration to work with large pointclounds and scnas ?

gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:40 pm

Ioannis wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:35 am
Can anyone confirm which is the best configuration to work with large pointclounds and scnas ?
We just finished scanning with a rental RTC360 for a month ,which included 18 parking lots and 3 Parking garages
Hopefully we'll have some kin of report to post by Christmas or the new year. Right now we're importing all data overnight. Medium with HDR scans -about 10/hr. - in groups of 40-100

ericguizzetti
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by ericguizzetti » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:49 pm

gsisman wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:40 pm
Ioannis wrote:
We just finished scanning with a rental RTC360 for a month ,which included 18 parking lots and 3 Parking garages
Hopefully we'll have some kin of report to post by Christmas or the new year. Right now we're importing all data overnight. Medium with HDR scans -about 10/hr. - in groups of 40-100
We figured out a weird hack and I can't even figure out why it works. Move all data to a USBC drive (samsung Pro) using native Thunderbolt 3/USBC. Import into Register 360 and it more than cuts the time in 1/4. Can't figure out but did a 700 scan data center and it was super quick.
Eric Guizzetti
Datum Tech Solutions
Los Angeles

#BLKRoadtrip
#RTC360
#RTCroadtrip

gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:57 am

ericguizzetti wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:49 pm
gsisman wrote:
Ioannis wrote:
We figured out a weird hack and I can't even figure out why it works. Move all data to a USBC drive (samsung Pro) using native Thunderbolt 3/USBC. Import into Register 360 and it more than cuts the time in 1/4. Can't figure out but did a 700 scan data center and it was super quick.
Eric

We'll definitely try this method -as of yet we haven't had the luxury of importing directly from the USB3 key from the RTC scanner (because of need to dump the data and get it back in the field), but have noticed the very fast download speed from the key to our internal SSD (200-300mbs). If it also speeds up the import time to Register 360 that would be great. Right now we have downloaded directly from the USB to the NAS (1GB connection but loads at about 80mps) and have had more stability and speed on import by copying back to the local SSD and importing to Reg 360 from there.
I wish that Leica techs would do some benchmark testing for us and give us a best practices scenario so we don't have to waste so much time testing their software in different scenarios....
At this point we are not running ANY importing or processing with Register 360 on anything but Windows 10 workstations with 500+GB SSD and a 2TB Additional HD
Is this the type of External Samsung SSD Type C you're using?

SAMSUNG SSD EXTERNAL.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by gsisman on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ericguizzetti
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by ericguizzetti » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:46 am

gsisman wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:57 am
ericguizzetti wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:49 pm
gsisman wrote:

Eric

We'll definitely try this method -as of yet we haven't had the luxury of importing directly from the USB3 key from the RTC scanner (because of need to dump the data and get it back in the field), but have noticed the very fast download speed from the key to our internal SSD (2-33mbs). If it also speeds up the import time to Register 360 that would be great. Right now we have downloaded directly from the USB to the NAS (1GB connection but loads at about 80mps) and have had more stability and speed on import by copying back to the local SSD and importing to Reg 360 from there.
I wish that Leica techs would do some benchmark testing for us and give us a best practices scenario so we don't have to waste so much time testing their software in different scenarios....
At this point we are not running ANY importing or processing with Register 360 on anything but Windows 10 workstations with 500+GB SSD and a 2TB Additional HD
Is this the type of External Samsung SSD Type C you're using?

SAMSUNG SSD EXTERNAL.jpg
yes, minus I am using the 1TB, its black. I do however have the blue one as well for photography.
Eric Guizzetti
Datum Tech Solutions
Los Angeles

#BLKRoadtrip
#RTC360
#RTCroadtrip

Tookie
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Iain Took
Company Details: WMP
Company Position Title: Dogsbody
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Tookie » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:20 am

ericguizzetti wrote:
Are you importing from the USB stick normally?

It is always quicker to import from a separate drive to the one you are creating your project on, importing is very read and write intensive. We don't do many scans but it is always quicker importing from the USB stick than copying over and importing. We only have a P20 but use an external SSD to copy files from scanner and then import from there.

ericguizzetti
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by ericguizzetti » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:05 pm

Tookie wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:20 am
ericguizzetti wrote:
Are you importing from the USB stick normally?

It is always quicker to import from a separate drive to the one you are creating your project on, importing is very read and write intensive. We don't do many scans but it is always quicker importing from the USB stick than copying over and importing. We only have a P20 but use an external SSD to copy files from scanner and then import from there.
Not sure if this is helpful or not but one of the guys in my office purchased a USB adapter for his Samsung Pro drive for moving files from our P40 to his computer. That might work for you. I noticed the other day he just keeps in plugged into the P40

https://www.amazon.com/Acessorz-Hi-Spee ... bc+adapter
Eric Guizzetti
Datum Tech Solutions
Los Angeles

#BLKRoadtrip
#RTC360
#RTCroadtrip

Tookie
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Iain Took
Company Details: WMP
Company Position Title: Dogsbody
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Tookie » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:57 am

Yes I've used a usb to sata adaptor directly in the P20 and P40 and it works fine with a Samsung SSD.

RTC on order now though..

jmeszar
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Jay Meszar
Company Details: IMAGINiT Technologies
Company Position Title: Senior Application Engineer

Post by jmeszar » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:12 pm

Hello all, I am on the technical end of a company that sells and supports Leica HDS equipment and would be happy to answer any specific questions you have.

Return to “Leica Geosystems”