How to test drive the FARO plugin for AutoCAD?

Discuss FARO hardware here.
Raymond
I have made 70-80 posts
I have made 70-80 posts
Full Name: Ramon F Herrera
Company Details: Free Open Source3D Model of Dealey Plaza
Company Position Title: Founder - Chief Bottle Washer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

How to test drive the FARO plugin for AutoCAD?

Post by Raymond »

For background info, please see this post:
https://www.laserscanningforum.com/foru ... 68&t=13556

I never imagined that converting the output (pointcloud, *.pls) file from a laser scanner to a format usable in CAD modeling applications was going to be so complicated. The file mentioned in the above post was generated by a Leica P20 scanner.

For my next project, the service provider has given me the option to use their Leica P40 or a FARO (model unknown). In order to make that decision on a firmer ground, I installed AutoDesk AutoCAD 2018 which comes with a plugin named "FARO LS by FARO Scanner Production". How can I use it?

(1) I need a suitable input file. Can you folks point me to one? (not too large, please! I am having enough trouble with the pls file) Perhaps the FARO software comes with samples?

(2) How exactly do I process it? I looked at the AutoCAD menus and cannot find anything named FARO.

TIA

-Ramon
JFK Numbers
MaZschi
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Marc Zschieschang
Company Details: FARO Europe GmbH
Company Position Title: Product Manager - Software

Re: How to test drive the FARO plugin for AutoCAD?

Post by MaZschi »

Hello Ramon,

the FARO plugin to evaluate point cloud data within AutoCAD is called As-Built for AutoCAD Software. You can find a setup with a trial persiod here:
https://3d-apps.faro-europe.com/product ... are-trial/

In addition you can find a lot of materials within our knowledge base:
https://knowledge.faro.com/Software/As- ... D_Software

As a workflow to bring your data into AutoCAD:

1. Recap is included in the package of AutoCAD. Simply install and open the tool.
2. Create a project within Recap and import the scanning files.
3. Click onto butto "index scans" this will convert your scanning data into the RCP file format which can be used within AutoCAD. If needed you can setup the settings before for filtering the data.
4. Within As-Built for AutoCAD you can open then the Rcp file and start working. You have also the possibility to start Recap out of the As-Built software if prefered.

When you are using a FARO scanner I suggest to use SCENE for registration. Afterwards you can directly export RCP data from SCENE to be directly used within AutoCAD and also use the Send2 AutoCAD functionality within SCENE.
Marc Zschieschang
Product Markting Manager - Software
FARO Technologies, Inc.
[email protected]
jstrongitharm
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Jack Strongitharm
Company Details: FARO
Company Position Title: Account Manager UK North and Ireland

Post by jstrongitharm »

What ever your scanner, best you ask for an e57 file of the registered and processed point cloud.
e57 is an industry wide open format that all software and hardware manufacturers can read and write. The BIM format of laser scanning if it helps to think of it in that way.

Then you can simply index it in Recap and avoid most issues in conversion.
(The Faro LS in the Recap installer is the FARO SDK to read native the Faro FLS files from the Faro Focus, which isn't applicable for your case.)

Once you have your Recap project indexed, you can attach to AutoCAD and Revit to then use with Faro Asbuilt for AutoCAD or Revit.
Also that format then will attach in Navisworks, 3ds Max and Inventor including its own free desktop viewer.

Good luck with your trial.

Jack Strongitharm
Account Manager UK North and Ireland
#scanthatjack
Raymond
I have made 70-80 posts
I have made 70-80 posts

Post by Raymond »

jstrongitharm wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:16 pm What ever your scanner, best you ask for an e57 file of the registered and processed point cloud.
Thank you, Jack. There seems to be a forumwide agreement on e57. That is reassuring.

I sent you by PM the Dropbox link to the file in question, can you please take a look at it?

Additionally, I apologize for being such a clueless newbie, but when you say registered (something other participants keep on mentioning), what exactly do you mean? I read about it and it seems that is not a discrete attribute but rather: "mediocre registration" or "excellent registration".

Again, if you kindly take a look at my file (first & only so far), I am sure you can tell whether it is registered and its other attributes.

TIA

-Ramon
JFK Numbers
Raymond
I have made 70-80 posts
I have made 70-80 posts

Post by Raymond »

MaZschi wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:18 pm Hello Ramon,

the FARO plugin to evaluate point cloud data within AutoCAD is called As-Built for AutoCAD Software. You can find a setup with a trial period here:
https://3d-apps.faro-europe.com/product ... are-trial/

In addition you can find a lot of materials within our knowledge base:
https://knowledge.faro.com/Software/As- ... D_Software

As a workflow to bring your data into AutoCAD:

1. Recap is included in the package of AutoCAD. Simply install and open the tool.
2. Create a project within Recap and import the scanning files.
3. Click onto butto "index scans" this will convert your scanning data into the RCP file format which can be used within AutoCAD. If needed you can setup the settings before for filtering the data.
4. Within As-Built for AutoCAD you can open then the Rcp file and start working. You have also the possibility to start Recap out of the As-Built software if prefered.
Thanks for your excellent advice, Marc. I downloaded & installed both plugin versions (for AutoCAD & for Revit) and a salesperson from your HQ in Florida contacted me. We set up an appointment for next week, when the engineers will give me a remote demo, using my own data.

Regards,

-Ramon
JFK Numbers

Return to “FARO”