Is scanning quicker than disto for plans and elevations?

To chat about anything else.
fobos8
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: jill
Company Details: Godel Architects
Company Position Title: Architect
Linkedin Profile: No

Is scanning quicker than disto for plans and elevations?

Post by fobos8 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:56 pm

Hi guys

I'm a land surveyor and I do a lot of "house and garden" surveys. I use my total station for measuring elevations and also for getting a basic internal layout for floor plans. The bulk of floor plans is done using a disto and paper sketch.

Its a laborious task and I'm considering getting a scanner to save time. All of the plans and elevations are in produced in 2d on CAD.

None of the houses are massive but not small either - around 5-6 beds is the norm.

Will a scanner save much time on this size projects or is the threshold size of a property a lot larger at which scanning saves time.

Kind regards, Andrew

madgic
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Mark Degiovanni
Company Details: 3DUserNet
Company Position Title: Operations Manager
Skype Name: mark.degiovanni.ali
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Is scanning quicker than disto for plans and elevations?

Post by madgic » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:23 am

Hi Andrew,
Certainly it will reduce time on site plus you get the added bonus of never having to revisit a site because of that one measurement you're missing. You do have extra processing of data back in the office unless you get a scanner that colours and registers on the fly. Most CAD applications have pointcloud integration, so drawing up isn't the pain that it used to be.

Will it save you time overall? Probably not as much as you hope, as you'll be generating all the linework back in the office, but the data you capture is a significant asset in itself and an extra product that can be delivered to architects and BIM modellers.

Mark

smacl
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:41 am

Once you develop the workflows scanning can be very effective for floor plans and building sections, see a short GeoSLAM revo example here. I'd suggest try before you buy, as the different scanners will give different results at different prices, same for software. Best quality internal data I've processed to date is Leica P40, which is great at precisely picking off sections from complex surfaces. Their new RTC360 also looks like a dream for internals and the BLK is also a good option to look at on a budget. Revo is more limited in that it lacks colour and imaging but is very convenient. Maybe carry out a small proof of concept exercise by getting various vendors to show you what they can do and how long it takes to get the result you want. You're welcome to a demo license to SCC (unashamed plug!) if you're looking to automate the tracing.

landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:02 am

Quick plans where thickness of walls are not that important and how it is stitched together are the easiest done with a disto and a piece of paper.

when you want corrrect plans a scanner is the way to go. I do interiors with an older tx5 but look at faro and maybe something from leica (they pretend their newest scanner is pretty good :D )

I do exteriors with a riegl instead of the tx5 but if you look for a cheaper solution look at faro. Do not forget the training though. You have to learn a bit to register everything together.

the linework is for houses the easiest done with pointcab software. No importing of heavy pointclouds in a cad software. Just draw your lines directly in pointcab and transfer to autoced for additional text info and dimensions.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +3211661621
www.landmeter-beuckx.be
info@landmeter-beuckx.be

Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Post by Jamesrye » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:09 pm

I wouldn't want to go back to using a disto and total station to do floor plans. Scanning is so much faster on site - and there is less chance to miss something and have to revisit site. Having said that, I always go armed with a disto in case detail is obscured by furniture etc... I also measure in ceiling heights, window and sill heights too using the disto to save some office processing time. It also really helps to have lots of pictures.

The drawback as others have said is in the office processing. Scanning collects so much superfluous data and the linework extraction can be tedious.

We've used the Zeb-Revo mobile scanner on a couple of projects now - and it's good, extremely fast. The downside is that the data is noisy and its only suitable for 1:100 detail, if you want 1:50, use a static scanner. Also, the GEOSLAM software is terrible, it's a nightmare to install and is buggy as Argo. You also need a total station or static scanner to register the Revo data onto, plenty of control is needed as the data is prone to drift. For small houses though, it should be good enough.

Rikore
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bruce Yager
Company Details: Rikore Geomatics
Company Position Title: Department Head

Post by Rikore » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:43 pm

I agree with Shane, it is about establishing workflows and getting good at it. Scanning is a learning curve that keeps happening. Be prepared to spend time learning the office portion. I would suggest training on the basics from who you buy from. You could try renting for a few projects or as suggested have a couple of demos by the different companies like Leica and Faro. Overall, I would not return to the old ways, I would always choose scanning.

fobos8
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: jill
Company Details: Godel Architects
Company Position Title: Architect

Post by fobos8 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:19 pm

Cheers guys - that's really good advise

Do you use a scanner for all plans and elevation jobs regardless of the size or just for the bigger jobs?

What's the smallest job you'd use a scanner on - how many bedrooms?

Cheers, Andrew

Rikore
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bruce Yager
Company Details: Rikore Geomatics
Company Position Title: Department Head

Post by Rikore » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:28 pm

We use scanners on all projects, even for just 1 room. 3 minute scan, no control, in and out in less than a half hour. Half hour to process and send to CAD.

steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by steves01x » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:46 am

Scanning is far quicker, even with the bigger scanner e.g P40 you can still get well over 20 set-ups an hour internally with it no colour, so i would assume the new Leica RTC360 with no colour and on site registration should be doing 30 to 40 scans an hour and its all registered for when your back at the desk! Externals will be a bit slower with a higher res but still quicker than a disto!

Then just sort out a good/smooth work flow with your software/deliverable and you will fly through the jobs!

Brett
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Brett D
Company Details: Omega Geomatics
Company Position Title: Director

Post by Brett » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:56 am

A BLK would be fine for that size of project. Get a demo and do a comparison? Do one floor with the scanner, then one floor with the tape and disto.
Sent from my Sinclair ZX Spectrum+ using tapatalk

Return to “General Chat”