P20 Calibration check

Discuss all Leica Geosystems related issues here.
RKC Site Solutions
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Hans Christensen
Company Details: Telecom Project Management
Company Position Title: Project Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

P20 Calibration check

Post by RKC Site Solutions » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:20 pm

Does anyone know if there is a way to determine the number of hours a P20 has operated since it's last calibration? Also, is there a magic number of hours that after that many the machine will require calibration?

tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: WeWork
Company Position Title: Head of Reality Capture
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: P20 Calibration check

Post by tbwester » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:54 pm

two ways:
- look at the data. Every scan has 5-6 lines of data that overlap. Take a section and see if there is any offset between them. If there is an offset, your scanner is out of calibration - If not, your probably okay.

- run the check and adjust level in the tools menu. It will give you an error and allow you to apply and adjustment. Typically if its just off by single digit seconds, thats fine. but if it shows 30 seconds worth of error - its may need a calibration. Either way, it will let you apply the correction it measures and probably fix any offset errors measured using the method above.

T

Hans Tuexsen
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Hans-Herbert Tuexsen
Company Details: Leica Geosystems
Company Position Title: Product Manager TLS

Post by Hans Tuexsen » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:49 am

With Leica scanners it is possible to acquire targets in both faces. The simplest way to check whether the angular calibration of the scanner is still OK is to scan a few targets in face 1 and in face 2 and check the deviations in the Target Information panel directly on the scanner. Because of the fact that some instrument errors show up in the horizon and others only at higher elevations it is important to check this at least on two targets.

It is off course also possible to check the overlap between face 1 and face 2 in a full dome scan as mentioned by tbwester. This is only a very small area, but with Leica scanners it is very easy to scan the same are in two faces. A full dome scan has just to be started twice, but before starting the second scan the scanner should be turned by 180 degree in azimuth. The result will be a complete 360 degree scan in both faces.

Another possibility to scan an object in two faces are detail scans (fenced scan areas). Detail scans are always done in face 1. When you first do a full dome scan and then fence an area which was scanned in face 2 in the full dome scan this area will then be scanned again in face 1. In Cyclone it is then very easy to check for any offsets between the full dome scan and the detail scan. Both scans belong to the same ScanWorld.

Phil Marsh
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Phil Marsh
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Technical Director
Skype Name: phil.h.marsh

Post by Phil Marsh » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:35 am

Those are all ways to check the calibration of the unit.

I think he asked how to check the total hours a unit has scanned for like you can on a HDS7x00, etc.

Hans Tuexsen
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Hans-Herbert Tuexsen
Company Details: Leica Geosystems
Company Position Title: Product Manager TLS

Post by Hans Tuexsen » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:05 am

That is correct. I answered that way because there is no magic number of hours after that the machine will require calibration. It depends on the environment the scanner was used in and on the conditions how it was treated. So the only way is to analyse the data and make a qualified decision depending on the results of the analysis.

Return to “Leica Geosystems”