I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Sam Lynas
Company Details: Geo Scan Surveying Solutions
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

3D Model to Mould

Post by Geo Scan Surveying » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:50 pm

A client of ours has a large figurehead (about 2m in height), which they are hoping to make a replica of.
This figure has somewhat deteriorated and they would like to know if there is a way to manipulate a 3D model of the existing so that the damaged/missing parts are filled in, in order to have a cast made without having to physically restore the original.

Does anyone know of any companies that can create a cast from a 3D model, or have any ideas for an alternative solution?

A bit of an obscure one I know, but as always, all thoughts are welcomed.

Best regards,
Sam

gilles_3Dreshaper
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Gilles Monnier
Company Details: Technodigit
Company Position Title: 3DReshaper Application Manager

Re: 3D Model to Mould

Post by gilles_3Dreshaper » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:17 pm

Hi Sam,
For sure, you should be able to find a company which would do what you are looking for in your area.
I would suggest you to have a look at VERO softwares http://www.verosoftware.com - a Hexagon company).
Some of their software would do the job. So most probably, one of VERO customers in the UK could do it for you.
Gilles
3DReshaper Application Manager
http://www.3dreshaper.com

NOVAMECH
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Nick Bush
Company Details: NOVAMECH
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: novamech5

Post by NOVAMECH » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:36 pm

Piece of Cake- call me, I will fly over and sort it out for you. Looking for a Holiday.

AlanRoberts
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Alan Roberts
Company Details: DTM Technologies
Company Position Title: owner

Post by AlanRoberts » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:19 am

Drop me a message, can certainly capture digitally and restore digitally, dont have the facilities to create a mould that size, but can outsource that side of things for you. Have experience in smaller objects, and have produced a number of cast resin sculptures, purely through 3d modelling, 3d printing, moulding and casting, http://www.dtm-tech.co.uk/digital-modelling/
cheers

WWilford
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Warren Wilford
Company Details: Berkshire Dimensions
Company Position Title: owner

Post by WWilford » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:13 pm

There are a few different ways to achieve your goal depending upon what you want to do with the model/mold. The scan point cloud can be meshed and then manipulated with software such as Geomagic or Zbrush. If there are other elements on the building that are in good shape you can scan these also, such as replacing an ear, wing, or other ornament feature which could be cut from the scan of the good piece and attached to the damaged one. You can 3D print a positive or a negative or CNC a positive or negative depending upon what material you wish to produce.

Let me know what you want to reproduce it in, send a few pictures, and maybe I can get it going in the right direction for you.

Return to “General Chat”