Full Name: Sharas Bandinskas
Company Details: Freelance
Company Position Title: Freelancer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Connect Faro to PC

Post by Sharas » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:44 pm

Hello forum,

happy new year!

I have a Faro X130 with a broken screen which we used to control via a tablet. Accidentally wifi was turned off and now we can't connect to the scanner. I was wondering if there is a way to control the scanner via cable and PC? Thanks!

Oliver Buerkler
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Oliver Buerkler
Company Details: FARO Europe GmbH + Co. KG
Company Position Title: Senior Product Manager
Skype Name: oliver_buerkler

Re: Connect Faro to PC

Post by Oliver Buerkler » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:57 pm

Hi Sharas,

I would recommend to contact FARO customer support to see if they can help you remotely or if the scanner needs to go to repair.

Best regards,
Oliver Bürkler
Oliver Bürkler
Senior Product Manager
FARO Europe GmbH & Co. KG
oliver.buerkler@faro.com
oliver.buerkler@laserscanningforum.com

Blog: http://oliverbuerkler.wordpress.com
Twitter: FARO_LS_PM

Randy Wag
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Randy Waguespack
Company Details: Inspections
Company Position Title: Inspector
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Randy Wag » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:54 pm

We know we can contact the Faro service department. That's the reason were are seeking help on this forum. As a senior product manager you should be able to answer this question directly. Is there a computer to device connection on the s/120 laser scanner? My scanner has a way to type in commands at a prompt on the display screen. Where is the list of commands? Can the operating system be reinstalled similar to the way one can reload Windows on a home PC?

Sharas
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Sharas Bandinskas
Company Details: Freelance
Company Position Title: Freelancer

Post by Sharas » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:32 am

Randy Wag wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:54 pm
We know we can contact the Faro service department. That's the reason were are seeking help on this forum. As a senior product manager you should be able to answer this question directly. Is there a computer to device connection on the s/120 laser scanner? My scanner has a way to type in commands at a prompt on the display screen. Where is the list of commands? Can the operating system be reinstalled similar to the way one can reload Windows on a home PC?
Spot on Randy! :) I actually contacted them and of course was told to send it in. 90% of the time when I contact support, I don't get any real advice and waste time. This forum proves to be much more helpful

Oliver Buerkler
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Oliver Buerkler
Company Details: FARO Europe GmbH + Co. KG
Company Position Title: Senior Product Manager
Skype Name: oliver_buerkler

Post by Oliver Buerkler » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:59 am

Hi Randy and Sharas.

Please apologize that I did not give you an answer that satisfied you.

As product manager with FARO I am responsible for our construction market related products as well as for customer satisfaction and support on a global, holistic scale.
Nevertheless, our customer support teams are much better skilled than I to identify and judge specific product problems and provide the best possible help for you and your specific problems.
If I read your answer correctly, the support colleagues did provide the needed help by getting the scanner repaired at your regional FARO service location.

@Randy: Regarding your specific questions
- For wired connections the S120 scanner offers a CAN bus interface at the foot of the device. There is an accessory called "automation adapter" that links into that interface and provides an Ethernet adapter to the outside.
- Wireless connection with a computer is supported via WiFi.
- The command prompt is meant for service purpose only. There is no public documentation of possible commands.
- There is no way to re-install the operating systems outside of an official FARO support workshop. What would be the purpose you are intending to serve with this?

Best regards,
Oliver Bürkler
Oliver Bürkler
Senior Product Manager
FARO Europe GmbH & Co. KG
oliver.buerkler@faro.com
oliver.buerkler@laserscanningforum.com

Blog: http://oliverbuerkler.wordpress.com
Twitter: FARO_LS_PM

Return to “Faro”