BLK360 Tripod

Discuss all Leica Geosystems related issues here.
ScottErnst
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Scott Ernst
Company Details: Scott Ernst Custom Woodworks
Company Position Title: owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: BLK360 Tripod

Post by ScottErnst » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:19 am

I also bought the BLK tripod and think it's a joke. Too small, no level and the tightening mechanism for keeping the legs extended is unreliable. One of the feet is already loose. I recently picked up a nice carbon tripod made by Sirui. The model is the EN 2204. Fully extended it puts the top of the BLK at about 6'. It will also do inverted work. The screw on the head is double ended and has a 3/8" thread on one end and 1/4" on the other, so it fits into the BLK tripod adaptor. It packs down to about 18" and comes with a nice bag. It cost me about $270 from B&H Photo.

The one thing it was lacking was a level, so I made a plate that fits between the BLK adaptor and the head of the tripod and glued a bubble level onto it.

darcycharlton
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Darcy Charlton
Company Details: If Then Architecture Inc
Company Position Title: Architect
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by darcycharlton » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:39 pm

We have also attempted to remove the adapter from the BLK360 tripod with no success. As far as we can tell the adapter is permanently fixed onto the tripod and there is no way to remove (at least without damaging both the tripod and adapter).

gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:38 pm

darcycharlton wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:39 pm
We have also attempted to remove the adapter from the BLK360 tripod with no success. As far as we can tell the adapter is permanently fixed onto the tripod and there is no way to remove (at least without damaging both the tripod and adapter).
I'll stick this on this thread also. We gave up trying to remove the adapter from the tripod, but purchased a separate adapter and a secondary transition adapter to fasten the BLK adapter to a standard 5/8 thread elevating tripod for scanning. The heavier tripod gave great confidence with stability even when there was a slight wind (not anything like the vibrating and shifting scenarios with the package tripod. However be careful with a third party 5/5" to 3/8" or 1/4" adapter. On a Seco one we bought the threads were a little longer than the female thread socket on the Leica adapter and when tightening it to fit snuggly togethr it pressed in a very thing metal machined top of thread and cause the quick release to stop functioning not allowing the adapter release bearings to collaps into the head when the release buttons were pushed. We are in the process of getting a warranty replacement from Leica. But this is something to be aware of. for the new one I aill probably have to grind down the threads on the Seco adapter a bit to be a little less than the depth of the female thread socket on the Leica adapter.
Adapter_annotated.png
ADAPTERS_TOGETHER_2018-08-13_1436.png
ADAPTER_BEARINGS_2018-08-13_1437.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Scott » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:45 pm

"But this is something to be aware of. for the new one I aill probably have to grind down the threads on the Seco adapter a bit to be a little less than the depth of the female thread socket on the Leica adapter." ~by gsisman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:38 pm

Perhaps a cork gasket (or equivalent) would fill the gap without having to resort to the grinder or file?

Steve.Burton
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Steve Burton
Company Details: BRR Architecture
Company Position Title: Architectural Designer

Post by Steve.Burton » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:02 pm

darcycharlton wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:39 pm
I was able to remove the adapter from the BLK360 tripod after trying multiple techniques.
Tripod Adapter 1.jpg
They are threaded together about 3/8" with adhesive on the threads. I used a can of duster upside-down to freeze the shaft around the connection (not 100% sure that this step was necessary), but I thought that this would contract the metal to potentially loosen the connection. I then I used channellock pliers wrapped around rags to grip the two pieces and twist them until it came loose.
Tripod Adapter 2.jpg
I also purchased a separate Tripod Adapter (Leica Art.-Nr.:853639) and confirmed that it is identical to the adapter that I removed from the BLK360 tripod (853638).
Tripod Adapter 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by gsisman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:30 pm

Scott wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:45 pm
"But this is something to be aware of. for the new one I aill probably have to grind down the threads on the Seco adapter a bit to be a little less than the depth of the female thread socket on the Leica adapter." ~by gsisman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:38 pm

Perhaps a cork gasket (or equivalent) would fill the gap without having to resort to the grinder or file?
Scott, great idea-that would help hold it tight also.
I should have thought of that before I tried to grind with my Dremel. I almost messed up the threads. The coarse tolerances between the Leica adapter and the Seco Faro 3/8" -5/8" adatpter allows some "wobble" also. I noticed it turning slightly AND wobbling during a scan where it had apparently loosened up a bit from the Camera turning torque. I think it my be the issue with overlapping images also at the beginnning of the camera cycle (1st set of 3 images ) and the end of the series (10th set of 3 and the closing stitching)
If Leica wants to sell more product. They should come up with an adapter for 5/8" standard tripod thread to the very fine male machine thread on the inside of the bottom of the BLK quick release adapter. It's large enough and fine enough that there would probably not be an unscrewing issue. Or they could reprogram the camera sequence so that it turns clockwise instead of counter-clockwise which causes the un-screwing action
BLK ADAPTER FIX.jpg
BLK ADAPTER FIX2.jpg
Woodmont_shifted_camera_BLK_2018-08-20_1252.png

Slewis33
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Shaun Lewis
Company Details: Clark Construciton
Company Position Title: Senior Manager - Reality Capture

Post by Slewis33 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:47 pm

While I contribute nothing to this thread, I do pull into that parking garage every day :D

gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by gsisman » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:45 pm

This is what scan data looks like in a side by side registration view in Register 360, when one of the setups has wobble in it because of an unstable basic quick release adapter.
Fortunately for us the scenario was more for an informational topo to shape an easement where the tolerances were high
Wobble_in_Registration_side_by_side_view_on_same_entity_2018-08-24_0744.png

Felix_the_Cat
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Felix
Company Details: Lockheed Martin
Company Position Title: Senior Member Engineering Staff

BLK360 Tripod

Post by Felix_the_Cat » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:13 pm

Just want to point out this for anyone looking into this

It is pretty cheap

Got two coming will post back if they suck

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AdirPro-5-8- ... /155695459

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by gsisman » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:30 pm

Felix_the_Cat wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:13 pm
Just want to point out this for anyone looking into this

It is pretty cheap

Got two coming will post back if they suck

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AdirPro-5-8- ... /155695459

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just make sure the 1/4" thread is not longer than the depth of the female socket on the quick release. That is how mine got screwed up. I tried to screw it down tight and it pressed into the top of the 1/4" chamber just a fraction apparently, which messed up the bearing release chamber and push-buttons on the quick release adapter

Return to “Leica Geosystems”