Cyclone/Scanner Workflow

Discuss all Leica Geosystems related issues here.
DylanShaw
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Dylan Shaw
Company Details: EAPC
Company Position Title: Mechanical Designer
Linkedin Profile: No

Cyclone/Scanner Workflow

Post by DylanShaw » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:53 pm

My company has a P20 scanner and has been trying to push it's use pretty heavily. As a result I've been essentially thrown in blind and am tasked with learning on the fly. I've done 5 projects now and while the end result has been fine for our purposes it's been quite taxing. Our typical work so far and going forward is scanning structures to then create 3D models from the point cloud. As of now I simply show up on site, set up a project on the scanner, pick a resolution/quality I think will work and start scanning room by room as well as exterior. I realize this is much more open ended than most questions on this forum, but if anyone could lay out their basic workflow and any recommendations for training/tutorials I would certainly appreciate it.

Phil Marsh
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Phil Marsh
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Technical Director
Skype Name: phil.h.marsh
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Cyclone/Scanner Workflow

Post by Phil Marsh » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:26 pm

richard_m
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Richard Merrin
Company Details: Fugro
Company Position Title: Data Processor _ Project Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by richard_m » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:34 pm

dylan.shaw@eapc.net wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:53 pm
My company has a P20 scanner and has been trying to push it's use pretty heavily. As a result I've been essentially thrown in blind and am tasked with learning on the fly.
Its killing me how often I read this, why oh why spend all that $$$ on a scanner and software and so little on training?

Out of interest, in case its just me, are there any experienced operators out there who think the hardware / software is more critical to delivering a successful project than the wetware running it?

Ok the hardware is getting almost idiot proof and the software appears to be increasingly simple (note I said 'appears') but I've personally been scanning in various forms for years and I'm still learning every day. And no I've had almost no training..

What an industry!

Richard.
p.s. sorry for the hijack, I started to reply actual useful info but failed.. :(

DylanShaw
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Dylan Shaw
Company Details: EAPC
Company Position Title: Mechanical Designer
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by DylanShaw » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:58 pm

Thanks for the reply Richard. I know I would certainly benefit from training, but as of now it doesn't appear to be on the table. Like I said in my original post the work I've done so far has been fine for our use (largely thanks to this forum). That being said, I'd like to trim some of my time on the projects seeing as how even after I'm done assembling the point cloud our architects then need to spend the time generating a REVIT model.

Return to “Leica Geosystems”