Orthorectified Imagery

Discuss all Leica Geosystems related issues here.
KGEConsult
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Daire Kilkelly
Company Details: Kilkelly Geo-Spatial Solutions
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: No

Orthorectified Imagery

Post by KGEConsult » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:22 am

Hi All,

This may have already been addressed but we are looking to get information on the process of creating ortho-rectified imagery within Leica Cyclone 9.1.6. We are using a C10 and an Istar and I am looking for a workflow for exporting coloured rectified imagery for elevations of buildings. I see that this is available in cloudworx but I am hoping we can do this with just cyclone.

Thanks in advance.
Daire

SCCS HDS
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Phil Marsh
Company Details: SCCS
Company Position Title: HDS Manager
Skype Name: Phil.H.Marsh
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Orthorectified Imagery

Post by SCCS HDS » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:36 am

Hi Daire,

You can create an Ortho-rectified image from the coloured point cloud data but not the images taken with the iSTAR.

To export a scaled rectified view of your point-cloud data in Cyclone follow these steps:

Put your point-cloud in orthographic projection. You can manually rotate your point-cloud into a desired position or by using the Co-ordinate Systems tools (Pick 2 points on the face you want to align to then go to View – Co-ordinate System – Set from Points. Put 90 in the ‘Azimuth Point’ Angle box and hit OK). When you hit the view icons in Cyclone the data will automatically be aligned to your chosen face/view.
Ortho-images also look much better with Unified data, so be sure to unify the point-cloud first before carrying out the next few steps.
Ensure the number of points being loaded and displayed are sufficiently high (Edit – Preferences – Point Cloud tab – Load and Display) then make sure you have your chosen colour scheme and shading options selected.
It is also advisable to have the point-width at 2-3 times normal so it may look blocky in the Modelspace, but the resulting Ortho-image will look really clear.

- Go to File – Export – Choose Ortho-Image, and give your file a name and a location.
- Once you ‘Save’ another dialogue box will appear.
- Enter something higher than the defaults for the image size (It’s worth experimenting to see what your PC is capable of). A recommend starting is between 3000 and 5000 with the aspect ratio locked.

Only use Anti-aliasing if you want to smooth the image out – this is very useful if you are exporting any linework with the point-cloud. Then select OK.
You will now have two to three files depending on which view you were in when you produced the image (name.tif, name.twf and name.tfw).

The TWF and TFW files contain information on how to get your data into your chosen software with the right scale and orientation.

Your local reseller should be able to help you with all this. If not, please feel free to give me a call.

I hope all this helps?
SCCS - The Survey Equipment Company l Sales, Hire & Support l Leica HDS Laser Scanning
T: 01480 404888 l M: 07540 201383 l E: phil.marsh@sccssurvey.co.uk
W: www.sccsurvey.co.uk/hds l N: SCCS News l T: @SCCSHDS

KGEConsult
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Daire Kilkelly
Company Details: Kilkelly Geo-Spatial Solutions
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by KGEConsult » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:55 am

Much appreciated Phil,

Quick follow on query, is this the same deliverable as the "create ortho photo" in Cloudworx. I was impressed with some on the internet testimonials on cloudworx.

Cheers

SCCS HDS
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Phil Marsh
Company Details: SCCS
Company Position Title: HDS Manager
Skype Name: Phil.H.Marsh
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by SCCS HDS » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:53 pm

Yes, this is the same deliverable but with slightly different options when processing.
SCCS - The Survey Equipment Company l Sales, Hire & Support l Leica HDS Laser Scanning
T: 01480 404888 l M: 07540 201383 l E: phil.marsh@sccssurvey.co.uk
W: www.sccsurvey.co.uk/hds l N: SCCS News l T: @SCCSHDS

Return to “Leica Geosystems”