BLK360 shipping

Discuss all Leica Geosystems related issues here.
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems UK Limited
Company Position Title: EMEA Business Manager HDS
Skype Name: pburrows145
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: BLK360 shipping

Post by pburrows145 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:57 am

The BLK360 app does not support registration, only control of the unit, floor plan creation tools (in the paid version) and export to some 3rd party formats.

HDR, I will ask for you - I am aware we are implementing/have implemented the support for HDR/Thermal in Cyclone for a release shortly - bear with me on this and I will check the status - I am not aware when this will be added to the Recap Mobile App, but I would imagine it will be at the same time.

REGISTER 360 should be available in a couple of weeks, in time for InterGeo... :D

jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:11 pm

pburrows145 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:57 am
The BLK360 app does not support registration, only control of the unit, floor plan creation tools (in the paid version) and export to some 3rd party formats.
Wouldn't creating floor plans require registration?
Jed

pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by pburrows145 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:24 pm

It's hard to explain without seeing the app in action... but imagine creating the floorplan for room 1, then room 2 and saying, "join the two rooms at the door opening"...It's not doing cloud-to-cloud or target registration. It's not designed for this. Perhaps this might come in a future version... We will see. Let's get V1 our first: and before you ask, I do not know a release date. ;)

jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:17 pm

So are you basically just getting some sort of top down cross-sectional view of individual scans? I'm sure a screenshot or two would help me envision what's going on.
Jed

jbr12
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Jason Rostar
Company Details: HED
Company Position Title: Corporate Design Technology Leader

Post by jbr12 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:59 am

Is there a list of current features vs future-unlocked-by-firmware features? I have had my BLK for about a month now, completed multiple scan jobs (~200 scans total) and am getting very frustrated by things like lack of hdr photography, lack of auto-level correction, lack of infrared... would be nice if there was any knowledge of timing for the remaining features.

dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O. Hirota Inc.
Company Position Title: President

Post by dhirota » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:21 am

Jason

Let us hope that your list will show up before September 25, 2017 since that is the day before InterGEO 2017 opens in Berlin. It will be interesting to compare your list with the features available on any newly announced sensors in Berlin and when they will be available.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
dennishirota@gmail.com

pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by pburrows145 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:34 am

jedfrechette wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:17 pm
So are you basically just getting some sort of top down cross-sectional view of individual scans? I'm sure a screenshot or two would help me envision what's going on.
This isn't going to come from me I am afraid as I have no involvement in the project.

See a preview here:

youtu.be/JItp081NXpQ

dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O. Hirota Inc.
Company Position Title: President

Post by dhirota » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:02 am

We have a major project for us happening tomorrow of scanning 3 very old mechanical rooms. One of the problems is capturing the multitude of multicolored piping and large ducting in very close spaces. We thought of testing our BLK360 in the high reaches of the rooms since it would be relatively easy to squeeze the small sensor through most of the pipes. We even tested the BLK360, 10 feet in the air on a kevlar rod with bracing tripod legs. I thought it moved, but the test scan looked OK.

The one thing that failed significantly was the next test we conducted with our Z+F 5010X first. We placed the 5010X in the middle of our conference room table and completed a scan at high/low with HDR images with half the lights off to simulate the low luminosity of the mechanical room. I then placed the 5010X on the floor, 8 inches from the closed door with a Z+F 7inch target taped to the door at floor level. Eight inch distance was used since it is the closest you can place a 5010X next to a solid surface and still have the 5010X rotate and scan. Z+F indicates that the minimum distance to scan is approximately 12 inches (0.3m). The mechanical room aisles are 22 to 24 inches wide maximum with 14 foot ceilings. The Z+F scans, HDR images, and registrations turned out very good, especially the HDR images.

We then used the same test with the BLK360, using the same Z+F target and scan locations, except placing the BLK360 at 6inches, 12inches, 18inches, and 24 inches from the closed door. The images had problems stitching at 6,12, and 18 inches since LGS indicates that the minimum distance is 60cm, about 24 inches. I believe that the 3 cameras for the BLK360 are in a fixed position, which might be a problem for correct stitching orientation of close objects. For those folks that have received their BLK360, you should try this described test and report on it since I do not have the time to give it a detailed report since I will be leaving for INTERGEO2017 in a few days.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
dennishirota@gmail.com

Thomas Goodliffe
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Thomas Goodliffe
Company Details: Thomas Goodliffe Surveying Limited
Company Position Title: Director

Post by Thomas Goodliffe » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:58 am

I am very interested in this scanner but can only find one sample point cloud to look at (blk360 leica website). On the BLK website there is a nice video of importing a multiple scan internal survey into cyclone register, I wondered if this or similar was available anywhere to download and look at please as it is exactly the type of work I do. Thanks. Tom

brucewhite
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Bruce White
Company Details: Leica HDS Reseller Autodesk Platinum Par
Company Position Title: Director of Operations

Post by brucewhite » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:08 pm

@Thomas Goodliffe

Recently, I posted a project that I did with 2 BLK360's in just 2 hours, I have the data loaded on Truview available at : http://52.8.217.58:9000/site/599d1303ec ... ab=sitemap

if you haven't seen Truview, this link will show an overview of the project and just click on any of the triangles (set up locations) and you can see data. If you would like a section of sample data, I can provide that if you contact me directly.

Bruce White
bruce.white@uscad.com
Bruce White
US CAD
bruce.white@uscad.com

Return to “Leica Geosystems”