Scene vs Cyclone vs Recap

3DVEM, Leica Cyclone Register 360, FARO Scene, LFM Suite, Autodesk ReCAP, Riegl RiScan Pro, Trimble RealWorks, Etc.
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Scene vs Cyclone vs Recap

Post by pburrows145 »

DanielNMP87 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:12 pm Hi,

Well i remember if you right click on the scans in the navigator it has an option called toggle level scan maybe that is the solution...not really sure will try next week.
This works, you can set any scan as "levelled" (right click, toggle levelled) but only data which is truly compensated in real-time in the field will be flagged as "levelled" on import. All FLS files will come in unlevelled by default.
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by steves01x »

pburrows145 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:50 am

Well i remember if you right click on the scans in the navigator it has an option called toggle level scan maybe that is the solution...not really sure will try next week.
This works, you can set any scan as "levelled" (right click, toggle levelled) but only data which is truly compensated in real-time in the field will be flagged as "levelled" on import. All FLS files will come in unlevelled by default.
you just need to scan the same room with Leica and Faro (level it as well as you can) and import them both to Cyclone and open up visual alignment and you will see the Faro is off!
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by pburrows145 »

steves01x wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:10 pm
pburrows145 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:50 am

you just need to scan the same room with Leica and Faro (level it as well as you can) and import them both to Cyclone and open up visual alignment and you will see the Faro is off!
Is this even after post-processing the inclinometer data in Scene?
tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: Clarity Scanning
Company Position Title: President

Post by tbwester »

Cyclone artificially un-levels faro FLS files. It has nothing to do with the accuracy of the tile/compensation/level in either scanner.
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by pburrows145 »

tbwester wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:19 pm Cyclone artificially un-levels faro FLS files. It has nothing to do with the accuracy of the tile/compensation/level in either scanner.
It's not that it does anything "artificially" it just doesn't know if the FARO data is truly levelled, so keeps it switched to "unlevelled" so you can do what you need to the data. I've seen many users toggle all their imported 3rd party data to levelled and have some fun registering it... Some just keep a few scanworlds levelled, that they trust, and "hang" other data off these positions.

Each to their own - I'm just happy they're using Cyclone! :D
donCPS
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Don
Company Details: ACME
Company Position Title: Designer

Post by donCPS »

I haven't had a chance to try Cyclone yet (hopefully on the next project), but I've given both Scene and Recap a go in most tasks. The short version is that I prefer Scene for handling the individual scans (processing and registration), but like to move over to Recap once the project is registered for cleanup, navigation, and exporting. Here is what I found:

Processing - I found no significant differences between the Scene and Recap, but I didn't really give Recap the full shabang, so it may not hold up under stress. I do like that Recap can be "Suspended" halfway through if you need your processing power back momentarily. Scene has only the option to cancel the operation.

Registration - Scene is far and away the winner here. I had no luck with automatic registration in either software, so I was really just testing the manual registration. Recap was really slow loading the individual scans and user interface wasn't as easy to handle. Scene was simple to use and it worked great. I did have one issue while registering, but it was due to a corrupt scan and was fixed by importing the raw scan back in.

Navigation - Both have clipping boxes, which are great for navigating small areas of your scope, but Scene's clipping boxes were more flexible. You can add multiple and have some clip the negative space while others clip the positive space. Recap is just one box that is either on or off. (Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have access to that part of software right now.) BUT I did find the actual moving of the camera to be much easier to handle in Recap and the point cloud loads much faster between camera changes. I'm giving this one to Recap.

Cleaning Up - Recap is the winner here. Scene seems to work fine for cleaning up data, but I have a hard time getting the modifications to "stick" regardless of whether or not I update the project point cloud. I have also had lots of trouble with stability of the selection tool. Sometimes, the polygon select tool just refuses to work. It will draw the polygon, but when I double-click to close, it goes away and nothing is selected. Maybe user error, but it's a simple tool so I don't think so.
Recap's only real problem in this area is that if you delete the stray points and noise in lots of small chunks, the program really bogs down (I'm talking just short of fatal crash), but this is due to Recap's undo feature. If you start to feel the project bogging down, save it as a new project and keep on working. Not perfect, but I'll take it over Scene's bugs in this area.

Saving - Scene does have project history so you can back to any of your previous versions quite easily. You can also export a previous save as a new project (I haven't tried it so don't know if it works) The only drawback is the save dialog box asks you to type a reason for saving, which I found to be a hindrance to me saving often like I should.

Export - There is no way to export from Scene directly to AutoCAD, so if you're in that line of work (like me) then you HAVE to use Recap as a go between anyway. AutoCAD can only import point clouds as .rcp files.

Uploading to the Cloud - Recap and Scene both offer cloud hosting for your completed projects to be viewed from a browser, negating the need for your customer to use special software. However, Scene Webshare is NOT included with your Scene license - It is an extra ≈$800/yr. Recap 360 IS included with your Recap subscription (which you probably purchased with AutoCAD or another Autodesk product) So Recap wins here as well.

I imagine everyone will disagree with something I said, but as I had not seen a point-by-point comparison of the 2 anywhere, I thought I'd share for any scanning noobs out there like me.

Thanks!
Don
Oliver Buerkler
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Oliver Buerkler
Company Details: FARO Europe GmbH
Company Position Title: Director of Laser Scanning
Skype Name: oliver_buerkler

Post by Oliver Buerkler »

Hi Don.

Great comparison and a very interesting read - thank you!

I just would like to leave 2 comments:
  • On saving, SCENE offers you the option to add a comment which will be shown in the version history of your project.
    I am using that for project steps which I assume to be needed later on and to easily identify the right revision in the history.
    That being said, you could simply leave the comment field empty and move on.
  • SCENE does offer a direct export as ReCap project.
Best regards,
Oliver Bürkler
Oliver Bürkler
Director of Laser Scanning
FARO Europe GmbH
[email protected]
[email protected]

Twitter: FARO_LS_PM
donCPS
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Don
Company Details: ACME
Company Position Title: Designer

Post by donCPS »

Oliver Buerkler wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:03 pm
* SCENE does offer a direct export as ReCap project.
I stand corrected here. However, I did find importing the project into Recap to be faster the exporting it from Scene. Same end result, but in about 1/3 of the time.
Oliver Buerkler
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Oliver Buerkler
Company Details: FARO Europe GmbH
Company Position Title: Director of Laser Scanning
Skype Name: oliver_buerkler

Post by Oliver Buerkler »

Hi Don.

To my experience, this is correct. ReCap import offers more features and seems to be faster than the export from SCENE.
Unfortunately, there is not too much FARO could do about it.

Best regards,
Oliver Bürkler
Oliver Bürkler
Director of Laser Scanning
FARO Europe GmbH
[email protected]
[email protected]

Twitter: FARO_LS_PM
LHardin
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: LYLE K HARDIN
Company Details: CDG Engineers
Company Position Title: Manager of Design Technologies

Post by LHardin »

donCPS wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:29 pm... We used a Faro 130 and captured about 60 full color scans during the training trip. I processed and registered it all in Scene and exported to Recap Pro to take advantage of it's compatibility with other Autodesk Products.
Don,
We are looking to purchase our own Faro scanner. I've used SCENE in the past, but have used only ReCAP pro the past couple of years because of the features available in AutoCAD. I've heard SCENE is better, overall, for registration but I've been concerned about losing features in AutoCAD by not using a 'structured' scan. Does AutoCAD still recognize these as 'structured' scans? In other words, can AutoCAD still recognize a centerline of a pipe or the edge of two planes from the point cloud in vanilla AutoCAD?
Thanks,
Lyle

Return to “Registration Software”