9.1.5 - Import Pano Images Issue?

Discuss all Cyclone related issues here.
JLarson
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jason Larson
Company Details: NAIK Consulting Group
Company Position Title: HDS Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

9.1.5 - Import Pano Images Issue?

Post by JLarson » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:08 pm

I just tried importing pano images from our dSLR / Nodal Ninja rig. I have a directory setup with all the pano images in it. When I start the command it only shows me a thumbnail of the first pano image in the folder. Am I doing something wrong?

When I ran it through with a single image, the tool worked great. Now if I can get them all to work in batch mode, this will fulfill a longtime wishlist item.
Jason Larson
NAIK Consulting Group
New York, NY

BobKeane
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Bob Keane
Company Details: Fyfe Earth Partners
Company Position Title: Project Manager - 3D Scanning

Re: 9.1.5 - Import Pano Images Issue?

Post by BobKeane » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:13 am

Hi Jason!

We tried this yesterday and the only way we could get it to work for multiple images/scan setups was to copy and paste each panorama into it's own folder in Windows Explorer (ie Scan 1 Panorama in folder called Scan 1, Scan 2 Panorama into folder called Scan 2 etc etc) and then select the parent directory of those folders on import to Cyclone.
The folder names and panorama naming convention seem to make no difference, just so long as the folders end up in the same order as your scans in your Cyclone project (although you can move them and lock to different images if not in order, just a little more fluffing about is required).

Hope this makes some sense, it took a bit of trial and error to figure this out! :)

pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems UK Limited
Company Position Title: EMEA Business Manager HDS
Skype Name: pburrows145

Post by pburrows145 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:58 am

You shouldn't need to do this, I will send the post to engineering to check.

JLarson
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jason Larson
Company Details: NAIK Consulting Group
Company Position Title: HDS Manager

Post by JLarson » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:15 pm

Paul: Any updates on this? I'm hoping it's just something I'm doing wrong and not a bug that will need to wait till the next release.
Jason Larson
NAIK Consulting Group
New York, NY

Bill-Wallace
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bill Wallace
Company Details: Leica Geosystems
Company Position Title: HDS Sr. Software Product Manager

Post by Bill-Wallace » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:23 pm

The current implementation of this feature requires each image to be in it's own folder. I am told you can create one parent folder and have all the other folders under that folder, then select the top level folder for import.

I haven't tested this myself but have been told by the developer himself that this is how it works. It looks like the help files just say select a folder but don'e properly describe this as I have above. I'll have the help files updated.

I am told this is a technical necessity for the pano images to be each in their own folder to avoid a long list of possible issues of all files in one folder.

Rikore
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bruce Yager
Company Details: Rikore Geomatics
Company Position Title: Department Head
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Rikore » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:19 pm

What Bill Wallace explained is what we found works for our Cannon 70D and the Nodal Ninja. Parent file, then all others under. Takes a bit more time than the iStar, but we found more control of the photos.

dagenhamdave4
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: David Railton
Company Details: Met Police CAMB
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by dagenhamdave4 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:21 pm

I've tried colouring scans with nodal ninja panos on a few occasions and the results have been mixed - some will have the colour applied to within maybe a pixel or two, however others are wildly off and are at times 30 to 60 degrees off their correct orientation. Perhaps some functionality to set a 'seed point' for pixel matching might be useful? You can scroll through the panorama and get it aligned with the scan data to visually check you're using the right pano, so it would make sense to use that as the initial orientation for the pixel matching process.

zuma
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: David Fernandez
Company Details: Oil and Gas Engineering
Company Position Title: Engineer

Post by zuma » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:14 pm

dagenhamdave4 wrote:I've tried colouring scans with nodal ninja panos on a few occasions and the results have been mixed - some will have the colour applied to within maybe a pixel or two, however others are wildly off and are at times 30 to 60 degrees off their correct orientation. Perhaps some functionality to set a 'seed point' for pixel matching might be useful? You can scroll through the panorama and get it aligned with the scan data to visually check you're using the right pano, so it would make sense to use that as the initial orientation for the pixel matching process.
We got the same issue, what combo camera lens do you use?

In that case we got the cubes as before.

Return to “Leica Cyclone”