RTC 360 LT vs Trimble X7 - Buying advice

Faro FOCUS S350, S150, S70, M70, X30, X130, X130HDR, X330, X330HDR. Leica RTC360, C10, P15, P20, P30, P40, P50, BLK360, HDS6*00, HDS7000,HDS8800, HDS8400. Riegl VZ6000, VZ4000, VZ2000, VZ1000 & VZ400i. Topcon GTL-1000, GLS2200, GLS1500. Trimble X7, X9, X12, SX12, SX10, TX8, TX6, S7 & S9. Z+F IMAGER 5016, 5010X, 5010C, 5006H, 5006EX & PROFILER 9012
Dave_BLS
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: DJJ Botes
Company Details: Botes Land Surveyors
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: No

RTC 360 LT vs Trimble X7 - Buying advice

Post by Dave_BLS »

Hi, I'm new to the forum and wanted to get you guys' opinion RTC 360 LT vs Trimble X7. (I hope I'm posting this in the right part of the forum)

Here where I stay the X7 is less expensive than the RTC 360 LT. This is going to be my first laser scanner and I want to get something versatile and also the best bang for the buck.

From what I understand the X7 is a compromise, since its range is less than the Leica, as well as it speed.

Leica have been longer in the game than Trimble, and the expectation is that the data gathered from the Leica would be of higher quality (less noise). In my experience though Trimble has better user friendliness. The compensator inside, and the auto registration at the cheaper price point also sounds enticing.

I'm not too concerned about the speed difference between the two, 500Khz vs 1Mhz. The noise level in the data, and imagery quality is what I really care about.

I would be using the scanner to do building as-builts and plant scans (piping).

My biggest concern is buying the X7 and then after a year or two having buyers remorse for not going with the more expensive Leica.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Re: RTC 360 LT vs Trimble X7 - Buying advice

Post by Jamesrye »

I've tried both.

The Trimble X7 is excellent - but slower - especially image capture. And the range is not as good.
But - the data is correctly levelled (RTC is 12") and the 'in field' software is far superior.
You can also shoot in distant targets with the X7, which can be extremely useful.
You also get the tablet and software with the X7.
Factor in the cost of Cyclone Core /clasic (because Reg360 is so limited).

Try them both - see what works best for you :)

We are existing Leica users and so chose the RTC as it fit within our existing workflow. But I was really tempted by the Trimble, despite the fact that it is a bit slower. The software was that good.
LPaulCook
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: L Paul Cook
Company Details: Land surveyor doing LiDAR
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by LPaulCook »

I am a long-term FARO user. I have never personally used either instrument you are considering but I do many building scanning products as well as accident scene documentation scans, bridge scans and complex topographical surveys.

The FARO S350 has avery long range and 20" duel axis compensation for level which is a maximum 1/8" error in 100'. Control targets should be used with any of these scanners to georeference the scans to local coordinate system and maximize level.

FAROs are extremely fast and also have a 3 wheel trolley "SWIFT" system for a combination of SLAM and static scanning, fast and high-quality, accurate scanning.

The FARO software comes with the instrument at no extra cost. So does training.

Explore all 3.

Paul Cook, PLS
LPCOOK.COM
L. Paul Cook, PLS
www.LPC3D.com
Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ioannis Papas
Company Details: techical office
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: -

Post by Ioannis »

LPaulCook wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:21 pm I am a long-term FARO user. I have never personally used either instrument you are considering but I do many building scanning products as well as accident scene documentation scans, bridge scans and complex topographical surveys.

The FARO S350 has avery long range and 20" duel axis compensation for level which is a maximum 1/8" error in 100'. Control targets should be used with any of these scanners to georeference the scans to local coordinate system and maximize level.

FAROs are extremely fast and also have a 3 wheel trolley "SWIFT" system for a combination of SLAM and static scanning, fast and high-quality, accurate scanning.

Explore all 3.

Paul Cook, PLS
LPCOOK.COM
Can you post more info about that swift system from Faro? Does it work properly?
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

Dave_BLS wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:59 am
Leica have been longer in the game than Trimble, .........and the expectation is that the data gathered from the Leica would be of higher quality (less noise). In my experience though Trimble has better user friendliness. The compensator inside, and the auto registration at the cheaper price point also sounds enticing.

My biggest concern is buying the X7 and then after a year or two having buyers remorse for not going with the more expensive Leica.

Not helping make because I've never used a Trimble, but on the history side, I was working for Leica in the 90's and early 2000's in PA, MD when they acquired Cyra & proffered their IPO, one of the reasons I'm collecting a modest monthly pension early from Leica...good old social democratic Europe!
Here's a little history from an inside report from last May.
https://www.xyht.com/energyutilities/th ... g-part-11/
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

Dave_BLS wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:59 am Hi, I'm new to the forum and wanted to get you guys' opinion RTC 360 LT vs Trimble X7. (I hope I'm posting this in the right part of the forum)

Here where I stay the X7 is less expensive than the RTC 360 LT. This is going to be my first laser scanner and I want to get something versatile and also the best bang for the buck.

From what I understand the X7 is a compromise, since its range is less than the Leica, as well as it speed.

Leica have been longer in the game than Trimble, and the expectation is that the data gathered from the Leica would be of higher quality (less noise). In my experience though Trimble has better user friendliness. The compensator inside, and the auto registration at the cheaper price point also sounds enticing.

I'm not too concerned about the speed difference between the two, 500Khz vs 1Mhz. The noise level in the data, and imagery quality is what I really care about.

I would be using the scanner to do building as-builts and plant scans (piping).

Look in some older threats, people here have the tendency to talk about other scanners then mentioned. I don't have experience with both but in other posts i mentioned that the tablet is a major pita on site and may never be used to just scan and send out delivarebles.

Look at speed on site, maintenance costs yearly, ease of use,... A scanner costs way more then the initial cost (specially with some brands ;-)). Make your calcs about budget to start with and what you want to do with the gear.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
LPaulCook
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: L Paul Cook
Company Details: Land surveyor doing LiDAR
Company Position Title: President

Post by LPaulCook »

Ioannis wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:39 pm
LPaulCook wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:21 pm I am a long-term FARO user. I have never personally used either instrument you are considering but I do many building scanning products as well as accident scene documentation scans, bridge scans and complex topographical surveys.

Explore all 3.

Paul Cook, PLS
LPCOOK.COM
Can you post more info about that swift system from Faro? Does it work properly?
The FARO swift uses my S350 scanner and adds a 2D scanner and a tablet or cell phone for viewing progress. The carbon fiber tripod that comes with the scanner is then attached to a 3 wheel trolly. The trolly that comes with the SWIFT system is a golf cart trolly with handle for easy pushing the SWIFT system around a site. I also have a smaller trolly with out at handle for smaller pathways, such as we find in a house.

Once the system is set up and running. (No wires required, all Wi-Fi connections in a private network) A standard static scan is first made, capturing a control point with a checkered target on it if possible. The SWIFT process begins, start pushing the SWIF system thru the site on a pre determined path. Stop every 10 feet or so to do what they call an anchor scan. This is a quick 5 to 20 second scan at any density setting that is appropriate for your needs. If just rooms use a quick setting at 1/8th density, if pipe sizing is important use a 20 second scan at 1/4 density setting. Your choice.

Then move on to the next position. Catch keyway shots at every doorway. Then the next room in one or tow anchor scans. You will see your progress on the tablet and every place you made an anchor or static scan.

You should make at least 3 static scans which will use the dule axes compensators, GPS, Altimeter and Compas where the anchor scans do not use those sensors. Also, you should tie in at least 3 control points to be sure everything is level and correctly registered. Control points are surveyed in with a total station.

The data collected while the scanner is moving is discarded. The Static scans and anchor scans then are processed together in a C to C method. No targets required.

I did a commercial building with 72 scan stations in 2 hours using the SWIFT system. The next week we did about the same number of scans without the SWIFT system due to many steps and no path for the trolly. I used two scanner and two operators and finished in 6 hours. We had to use spherical target and checkered targets everywhere for that job. The time difference was tremendous! You just cannot use it everywhere.

I hope this is helpful.
Paul
L. Paul Cook, PLS
www.LPC3D.com
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by steves01x »

There is another large post on here that covers the X7. You have no option but to use a tablet with it (i think the push button on it may save the last known settings though) .

Also make sure you get shown Cyclone Core by the rep.
Dave_BLS
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: DJJ Botes
Company Details: Botes Land Surveyors
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Dave_BLS »

So Gentlemen, I got the RTC360LT, Leica made me a very good offer, which I am very grateful for.
I already did some scans around the house, got the instrument on Friday. :) Thanks for all who commented.

It was a hard choice, since I'm familiar with Trimble, and I know the user-friendliness associated with their software. But the raw scanning specs (speed, range) on the RTC is better, and I believe it will stay relevant for longer. The fact that I had a bit of deal assistance from Leica on my first scanner is what ultimately made it worth while.

Now I need to master the software and to my get my new tool to start earning its wages.

Cheers, and thanks again.

Return to “Terrestrial Laser Scanners [TLS]”