I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Jess Mickle
Company Details: Keen Project solutions
Company Position Title: Bim Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Point cloud LOD and standards

Post by jmickledesign »

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and after looking through much of what has already been posted, I have not been able to find out much about how to create documents to set up expectations on what I want a potential Scanning company to supply to my firm per a work request.

What I mainly mean, is I want to specify what the requirements of a scan job should be. Like number of points, density of points, accuracy, and accuracy of stitching scans together. I also know a requirement can be to have them to supply scans with targets.

So really what I'm looking for is dialogue or if someone has a document outlining norms and possibly specifics of typical requirements so I can speak with intelligence to a scanning consultant of what I actually need of them.

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Jess
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Point cloud LOD and standards

Post by jcoco3 »

Hi Jess,

I am hesitant to even offer this response as it might be too complicated or difficult :oops:

You might be better off letting your scanning service provider be the one responsible for how the work is conducted to achieve the end results you need, else you may end up needing to learn more than you want to learn. I am not trying to deter you from going down that path, just mentioning it as I have had this conversation countless times with other professionals who ultimately lacked the time or desire to learn the girth of what is necessary.

If you still want to go the other route then you might want to start by diving into the USIB documents(LOA). https://usibd.org/content.aspx?page_id= ... _id=484780 It is the only other alternative I know of that may help you with a more prescriptive approach. I am not endorsing it and I don't find that it works well for every project or encompasses every detail that might be needed. If nothing else it may be a starting point for a conversation with your scanning/survey service providers. At the very minimum you will get a taste of just how broad and complicated the problem can be. It is no replacement for good communication.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

As Jonathan say above, this is a complex issue. To my mind, when specifying requirements of a point cloud, or any survey for that matter, you are trying to achieve two things. Firstly, that the point cloud is fit for purpose and secondly that you can clearly prove that it is fit for purpose. In order to determine the former, you need to fully understand your final client requirements in terms of content, level of detail and relative and absolute accuracy and from there what you need in the point cloud to achieve this with tools that you are using. What quickly becomes apparent here is that the specification is entirely dependant on the final client requirements and this is really where you should start, as opposed to what the myriad of point cloud collection tools and techniques can provide. Once you have determined your requirements, you then have to add robust QA checks that clearly demonstrate that each listed requirement has been met (or not!). With this done, it is then time to talk to the scanning companies in terms of what they can provide in terms of realising your requirements and at what cost. It is worth noting that while it can be tempting to over-specify your requirements, this leads to extra cost for something you don't actually need. Robust QA is the most difficult bit, which is a lot more than accepting little green tick marks on registration reports. e.g. for big jobs this might include collection of check data using independent method of measurement, collection of redundant data for checking purposes, 3rd party verification that stated accuracies have been met, etc... This will add to the cost of the works. Again, the amount and type of QA needed is a function of the clients final requirements.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: ---
Company Position Title: Associate Director - Survey

Post by stutosney »

As mentioned, it depends on the job. Are you going to request a full management plan detailing QA, control verification etc for a small residential scan? In my experience, it all comes down to communication with the client before hand and existing relationships/understandings with clients. I have some clients who I instantly know require a full, high end laser scan with tight control who also want the point cloud afterwards. On the other hand, I have some clients who I know just want a standard 2D output at the lowest price for area purposes.

Open a dialogue between your suppliers and find out what your clients want, you may end up educating one or both!

Return to “Introductions”