Fast Transfers from Field 360 to Laptop w/ BLK

Discuss all Leica Geosystems related issues here.
designmule
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Matt McDonald
Company Details: BRR Architecture
Company Position Title: Associate
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Fast Transfers from Field 360 to Laptop w/ BLK

Post by designmule »

gsisman wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:46 pm Finally got some feedback from Leica. It was a complicated issue.
I had initialized the Field 360 App on the iPAD Pro through TruView Cloud log-in in Spring 2019 when the BLK connection came out. We had input our current Reg 360 EID, however, when we had renewed our subscription in June, we had recieved a NEW EID. The previously Registered EID must have had a LONG Grace period because it didn't stop working until this past week. We had performed several scan jobs in mid-October. Leica cleared the expired EID out of the system and We entered the NEW ones into TruView Cloud services-(the enabler for the Field 360 Log-in)(We now have two licenses of Reg 360. So that is running now.
BUT.....I still cannnot connect with the BLK360 v1.2.4 FW to Field 360. Also having a few other issues with the BLK shutting down after taking HDR pictures (right at the beginning of the scan session during the "Spin-up". I'm wanting to reload the old firmware v1.2.3 as we performed many jobs successfully with that.
Has anyone had experience "backloading a previous FW version. Waiting on Leica for an answer.

I downloaded the 4 scans it took before it crapped out. 4 Hi-Res HDR (1GB ) scans download raw with BLK Data Manager in 18 minutes (4.5 min/scan)
That's a tricky one with the EID. I registered for Field 360 in Dec 18 and our Register 360 license renewed back in September. I'll have to be on the lookout for that one. Thanks for sharing.

I too have had some issues connecting the BLK360 wifi since the updates. The iPad suggests that it's connected in the wifi selection screen but there is no wifi icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen and the capture button in field 360 is greyed out. In the same power cycle, my laptop was able to connect and I could access the scanner via BLK data manager. Rebooting the iPad seemed to do the trick.

I don't capture HDR images so I can't help there but in the past (before these latest updates) I occasionally was unable to download high res scans to the iPad using Field 360.
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by gsisman »

designmule wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:57 pm
gsisman wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:46 pm Finally got some feedback from Leica. It was a complicated issue.
I had initialized the Field 360 App on the iPAD Pro through TruView Cloud log-in in Spring 2019 when the BLK connection came out. We had input our current Reg 360 EID, however, when we had renewed our subscription in June, we had recieved a NEW EID. The previously Registered EID must have had a LONG Grace period because it didn't stop working until this past week. We had performed several scan jobs in mid-October. Leica cleared the expired EID out of the system and We entered the NEW ones into TruView Cloud services-(the enabler for the Field 360 Log-in)(We now have two licenses of Reg 360. So that is running now.
BUT.....I still cannnot connect with the BLK360 v1.2.4 FW to Field 360. Also having a few other issues with the BLK shutting down after taking HDR pictures (right at the beginning of the scan session during the "Spin-up". I'm wanting to reload the old firmware v1.2.3 as we performed many jobs successfully with that.
Has anyone had experience "backloading a previous FW version. Waiting on Leica for an answer.

I downloaded the 4 scans it took before it crapped out. 4 Hi-Res HDR (1GB ) scans download raw with BLK Data Manager in 18 minutes (4.5 min/scan)
That's a tricky one with the EID. I registered for Field 360 in Dec 18 and our Register 360 license renewed back in September. I'll have to be on the lookout for that one. Thanks for sharing.

I too have had some issues connecting the BLK360 wifi since the updates. The iPad suggests that it's connected in the wifi selection screen but there is no wifi icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen and the capture button in field 360 is greyed out. In the same power cycle, my laptop was able to connect and I could access the scanner via BLK data manager. Rebooting the iPad seemed to do the trick.

I don't capture HDR images so I can't help there but in the past (before these latest updates) I occasionally was unable to download high res scans to the iPad using Field 360.
We used to use only medium resolution indoors (When we used RECAP Pro). But with Field 360, we found that it did not show enough detail in the Visual alignment when on Medium scans, to actually align thing on outdoor scans. Also the target are pick up much better and at further distance in High mode. We ALWAYS use targets in outdoor scans.
markscan
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Marco Dileo
Company Details: ARcontrol
Company Position Title: Architect

Post by markscan »

gsisman wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:22 pm I am using a Apple Lightening to USB3 photo cable (USB3 is the key as other adapters aren't USB3 and don't allow charging at the same time) along with a Satechi 3 port USB3 to Ethernet adapter.
It worked fine a few weeks ago but this is the first try with the new upgrades.

IMG_20191119_084754748.jpg
IMG_20191119_084726422.jpg
IMG_20191119_084653068.jpg
IMG_20191119_084633243.jpg
IMG_20191119_084623604.jpg
Can you better explain your trick? :D

iPad-->Lightning-USB 3-->USB-Ethernet Hub-->Ethernet cable-->Laptop
(*--> is a cable)

Is this right? What's the transfer speed?
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by gsisman »

markscan wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:13 pm
gsisman wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:22 pm I am using a Apple Lightening to USB3 photo cable (USB3 is the key as other adapters aren't USB3 and don't allow charging at the same time) along with a Satechi 3 port USB3 to Ethernet adapter.
It worked fine a few weeks ago but this is the first try with the new upgrades.

IMG_20191119_084754748.jpg
IMG_20191119_084726422.jpg
IMG_20191119_084653068.jpg
IMG_20191119_084633243.jpg
IMG_20191119_084623604.jpg
Can you better explain your trick? :D

iPad-->Lightning-USB 3-->USB-Ethernet Hub-->Ethernet cable-->Laptop
(*--> is a cable)

Is this right? What's the transfer speed?

In our case we are on an inside network. So right now we are sometimes registering as we go in the field, or push-button scanning and then loading all scans into the iPAD on the drive back to the office then using field 360 to "field register and pre-align" the scans, because the 3D alignment on the field 360 app still works somewhat smoother than even the Reg 360 visual alignment, though the C2C is not as robust and you still need to rely on the Reg 360 C2C on IMPORT from Field 360.
We also always download the *.BLK files for Archive purposes after the fact (and in case we have a burp in the Field 360 download.
We have a two port 1GB network at our workspace and one is attached to the workstation and one we use to connect to the Ethernet - USB3 hub. The Lightning to USB3 camera connector plugs right into one of the USB3 hub ports and it also has a Lightning power input which we bring from a wall charger, thus ensuring our iPAD is charging at the same time it is downloading.
I don't know what the actualling improt speed is, but I do know that the import of the visually aligned scan bundles/projects from the iPAD is much faster than through the BLK WIFI network. Our publicly open WIFI (also a 1GB network) will not allow a WIFI connection to an iPAD acting as a server.
Ipad ethernet connection.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
markscan
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Marco Dileo
Company Details: ARcontrol
Company Position Title: Architect

Post by markscan »

gsisman wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:45 pm We have a two port 1GB network at our workspace and one is attached to the workstation and one we use to connect to the Ethernet - USB3 hub. The Lightning to USB3 camera connector plugs right into one of the USB3 hub ports and it also has a Lightning power input which we bring from a wall charger, thus ensuring our iPAD is charging at the same time it is downloading.
I don't know what the actualling improt speed is, but I do know that the import of the visually aligned scan bundles/projects from the iPAD is much faster than through the BLK WIFI network. Our publicly open WIFI (also a 1GB network) will not allow a WIFI connection to an iPAD acting as a server.
I'm with you when you say that Field360 UX is better that Reg360 at registering setups together.
When you import from Field360 to Reg 360 you should select Auto Cloud (that revalidates all Field360 pre-registered links) indeed.

Actually I believe your cable trick works better than the Belkin Ethernet adapter (which supports only 180 Mbps).
USB 3.0 max speed (iPad 10.5) is 5 Gbit/s
Ethernet adaptor speed is 1 Gbit/s, and that's the speed you're getting.

I can't understand why Leica doesn't support iPad USB 3 yet. I can't find a reason for this!
Wifi N transfer speed is 300 Mbps.
LukeF
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Luke Fronsko
Company Details: Rise PC
Company Position Title: Technical Officer

Post by LukeF »

Looks like its been a couple of years since this thread was open. Hoping some one can help me.

I have a new iPad pro with a USB-C charge port. Im attempting to use the ethernet connection option to speed up the transfer process off the iPad and onto the PC. I currently have a USB-C to ethernet adaptor (ALOGIC MINI Adapter) in the ipad with a ethernet cable running to the PC. I let the iPad automatically configure the IP and turn off the WIFI. Where is get stuck is when I go into the Cyclone Field app and try to sync server it says "no network".

Ive tired manually adding the IPv4 from the ipad to the PC.

My PC is connected to the network wirelessly, could this be the issue? Or is the ALOGIC adapter the issue?

Any help would be apricated. Thanks Luke
tkm
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Kevin O
Company Details: Technical Officer
Company Position Title: Technical Officer
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by tkm »

Couple of quick things to try
  • disable PC Wifi temporarily during transfer
  • or enable hotspot (via ethernet) on the PC?
By default the PC often handles Wifi and Ethernet as separate networks. Both devices must be on the same LAN network for the sync server to work.

PC Wifi hotspot is also an option if all else fails.
  • This often beats office Wifi (as the devices are right next to each other) and will also allow you to keep the iPad charged during the transfer if you have lots of data.
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by gsisman »

LukeF wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:44 am Looks like its been a couple of years since this thread was open. Hoping some one can help me.

I have a new iPad pro with a USB-C charge port. Im attempting to use the ethernet connection option to speed up the transfer process off the iPad and onto the PC. I currently have a USB-C to ethernet adaptor (ALOGIC MINI Adapter) in the ipad with a ethernet cable running to the PC. I let the iPad automatically configure the IP and turn off the WIFI. Where is get stuck is when I go into the Cyclone Field app and try to sync server it says "no network".

Ive tired manually adding the IPv4 from the ipad to the PC.

My PC is connected to the network wirelessly, could this be the issue? Or is the ALOGIC adapter the issue?

Any help would be apricated. Thanks Luke
The new iPAD Pros have much better battery life than the first ones. The earlier generation you needed an ethernet adapter to lightning-USB-C that was also powered or your battery on the iPAD would die. I would hope that a direct PC WIFI to iPAD WIFI connection between a new iPAD (probaby 802.11ac -1.7- 2.5 Gbps) and a new PC WIFI adapter would be as fast as the LAN connection. Is your Wifi adapter on the PC 802.11ac?

Return to “Leica Geosystems”