I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Danilo Mammarella
Company Details: Technical Office
Company Position Title: CEO
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Comparison Geoslam Zeb Horizon, Navvis VLX, Kaarta Stencil 2 and Gexcel Heron

Post by GeomDaniloMammarella »

Hello, I would like to hear your opinion comparing the above four SLAM scanners in the point of accuracy/precision without control points.
Also best cloud noise reduction, simple operation, greater versatility, price, and money return.
My thought is to have a Slam scanner as an easy and fast instrument to use every day and a TLS to use once or twice on a week.
Thank You
Last edited by GeomDaniloMammarella on Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
GeomDaniloMammarella
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Re: Comparison Geoslam Zeb Horizon, Navvis VLX, Kaarta Stencil 2 and Gexcel Heron

These are all the data in my hands:
Contribution_183_final.pdf
Kaarta Stencil 2 vs Geoslam Zeb Horizon in an undergrond with lights test: https://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/13/23/13289/pdf
NavVis-Whitepaper-Accuracy-VLX.pdf

ZEB-Horizon-Product-Sheet.pdf
NavVis-VLX-data-sheet-EN.pdf
Stencil_2-16_spec_sheet_04.21-web.pdf
2021_HERON-MS-TWIN_Datasheet.pdf
and a couple of sample scans from Zeb Horizon and from NavVis VLX .. the scans from Zeb Horizon have the noise that you should expect from a SLAM scanner but scans from NavVis VLX are very very clear! Why? Is it only a cause of the NAvVis post processing software?
I don't have all data for a price comparison that is not the first factor for me but it's important to value it in consideration of the accuracy and results.

Excuse me for my english and thank you for any reply
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Evoli
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Evelyn Schmitz
Company Details: Navvis GmbH
Company Position Title: Solution Manager Surveying

Re: Comparison Geoslam Zeb Horizon, Navvis VLX, Kaarta Stencil 2 and Gexcel Heron

Post by Evoli »

Hey Danilo,

let me give you a perspective on the topic form the NavVis side.

With our Accuracy Paper and a set of sample data, you already have good materials to analyze and estimate NavVis point clouds. As you said by yourself, our point clouds are crispy and clear. This is due to the filtering during the processing of the data. We use the advantage of mobile scanning, having thousands of perspectives on the same object during walking and scanning, to remove outliers and reproduce the real world.

Let me also hint you to the newest Accuracy Paper you can download here:
https://www.navvis.com/resources/white- ... or-outdoor

And to all our sample data including indoor and outdoor examples:
https://www.navvis.com/resources/conten ... navvis-vlx

Don't hesitate to contact me in a PN or send more questions in this thread.

Best regards from Germany,
Evelyn
GeomDaniloMammarella
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Thank You very much for the documentation and for your help Evelyn
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by badam »

Evoli wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:10 pm Hey Danilo,

With our Accuracy Paper and a set of sample data, you already have good materials to analyze and estimate NavVis point clouds. As you said by yourself, our point clouds are crispy and clear. This is due to the filtering during the processing of the data. We use the advantage of mobile scanning, having thousands of perspectives on the same object during walking and scanning, to remove outliers and reproduce the real world.

Evelyn
Very impressive results about the cleanliness, if it is straight comes from software without ANY manual labor... I think a lot of people would use this data, i'd left a little bit more density (2-3 mm grid instead of 4-5mm) but i suppose it can be changed. Is it possible to export panoramic images with pose informations?

but of course I'm sure the office building was empty during scanning.
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

GeomDaniloMammarella wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:50 pm Hello, I would like to hear your opinion comparing the above four SLAM scanners in the point of accuracy/precision without control points.
Also best cloud noise reduction, simple operation, greater versatility, price, and money return.
My thought is to have a Slam scanner as an easy and fast instrument to use every day and a TLS to use once or twice on a week.
Thank You
Danilo

You might want to add Leica Geosystems BLK2GO to that list We have had several demos (3000' linear neighborhood scan with control, indoor asbuilt and outside partial of a new county Building in Wheaton MD and a multistory parking garage) in different scenarios with the NavVis VLX and were very impressed with the field workflow. Never really saw the backend processing though, so that is always the unknown time-sucker. We are awaiting a BLK2GO demo/s in similar situations so we have an apples to apples comparison. The size and bulk differences are significant, but the pricing is about the same or even less when you count the software costs. Currently we are using Leica Software almost exclusively on the scanning processing side.
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

badam wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:00 pm
Evoli wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:10 pm Hey Danilo,

Evelyn
Very impressive results about the cleanliness, if it is straight comes from software without ANY manual labor... I think a lot of people would use this data, i'd left a little bit more density (2-3 mm grid instead of 4-5mm) but i suppose it can be changed. Is it possible to export panoramic images with pose informations?

but of course I'm sure the office building was empty during scanning.
Adam,

Yes I am from Missouri the "show me state" (just kidding). We have done several scans from demo or consultant with the NavVis VLX more than a year ago and the data was VERY clean in several scenarios where there was some interference from city traffic.
I have no idea how much time was used in cleaning or it was just left to it's to programmatically run and re-run it's algorithms to reach that level. Both Marek and the consultant over here that performed it said they just plug the processing in overnight....
I'd really like to get a sizeable job and sample the processing onsite before looking seriously at this. And our investment in the backend Leica Jetstream and Cyclone Enterprise keep the Photo Spheres with pose info that is translatable at the fore front of our hesitation.
Image quality and vertical accuracy is IMPRESSIVE. (The 3000'+ neighborhood scan had 0.10 feet vertical errors from one end of the project to another across a crow fly distance of 1700'

Neighborhood scan area Glen Forest-Montgomery County MD
https://www.screencast.com/t/t4jCGeMFc
jsteinert
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: joshua steinert
Company Details: pb2 architecture + engineering
Company Position Title: Graphics Manager

Post by jsteinert »

We have been using BLIK2G0 and VLX for over a year. Both have advantages and limitations.
From our experience the 2Go works very well with RTC/BLK360 and LGS provides 270 pano waypoints. VLX imagery is excellent and filtering from pointcloud processing is great.
However the 2Go image quality is limited and pointcloud is not very dense. NavVis processing costs per SF, quite slow processing, and alignment tools aren't great.

Even after considering cost of instrument, time to process, overall quality, and cost of processing... I still havent seen a solution from any MLS that provides an RCP with panos included from any mobile solution.
GeomDaniloMammarella
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Ok, thank you all to share here your experience!
I haven't included BLK2GO because have the limitations that you've described and: the 25 meters of range, the battery duration (45/50 minutes), and I've heard about a maximum time of 8 minutes on a single loop/scan (I don't know if I'm wrong).
Anyone has use the Horizon? :)
I've used the Horizon three days ago with a friend without Control Points and I can say it is able to scan the little streets of an entire historic center Image of a little town in the middle east of Italy ( Villamagna ) we've done 2 scans (25 minutes per scan) and we merge it. That's all. I previously placed and measured markers (that we haven't used in post processing) and I can say that all the distance errors (marker by marker) are under 3 cm.
When I've seen the cloud I've seen the noise that I previously described that is similar at the sample data that you can download on Geoslam website.
The VLX needs long time to processing data and (I think) a little bit more time to scan.. But.. Who cares? You have a clean cloud.. That's what I've thought.
But I'm curious to know if anyone has experience with Kaarta or Gexcel..
I've got a GNSS receiver, a Total station and a TLS but (please don't kill me) I want to use only a SLAM scanner and a GNSS receiver for measure and scan buildings, roads, and grounds.

Anyone knows approximately the Horizon price and the VLX price ?
Last edited by GeomDaniloMammarella on Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GeomDaniloMammarella
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

jsteinert wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:35 pm We have been using BLIK2G0 and VLX for over a year. Both have advantages and limitations.
From our experience the 2Go works very well with RTC/BLK360 and LGS provides 270 pano waypoints. VLX imagery is excellent and filtering from pointcloud processing is great.
However the 2Go image quality is limited and pointcloud is not very dense. NavVis processing costs per SF, quite slow processing, and alignment tools aren't great.

Even after considering cost of instrument, time to process, overall quality, and cost of processing... I still havent seen a solution from any MLS that provides an RCP with panos included from any mobile solution.
Why alignment tools aren't great? Have you got some alignment problem in your experience?

Return to “General Chat”