Removing 360 photos to reduce point cloud weight

Discuss all Autodesk ReCap Studio related issues here.
GBP88
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Gonzalo Pampuro
Company Details: Techint
Company Position Title: BIM Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Removing 360 photos to reduce point cloud weight

Post by GBP88 »

Hi, I received a point cloud in RCP format, with 80 scans inside.
Each scan has its 360 panoramic photo attached.

I only need a portion of the point cloud, so I cropped and Save as to optimize. I managed to reduce the weight from 84 Gb to 20 Gb.

But the amount of panoramic photos have not been reduced. I understand that although some photos are far away from the zone of interest. they remained in the bundle because a point from that scan is still in the zone of interest.

The thing is that I need the cloud only, and I thought that if I could remove all of the 360 panoramic photos the weight would be heavily reduced.

Is this possible? Any idea how to do it?

Thanks
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Removing 360 photos to reduce point cloud weight

Post by badam »

if you really don't need realviews why just don't you "unify" the whole thing. It was long time ago since i've seen recap but this should be around in the save as menu.

PS:
export menu unified rcp/rcs. if you want import it to other autodesk product you can just create an rcs, don't need anything else.
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician

Re: Removing 360 photos to reduce point cloud weight

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

If a unified .rcs export is not what you are looking for, there are a few other things you can do but we are getting very technical here.

I can understand why you would need specific files for each scan and use a .rcp instead of a unified RCS, since I also like to hide specific scans when using a .rcp. I do this usually to keep the accuracy of a single scan and hide the inaccuracy given by slightly badly registered scans or that far away, usually when using autocad.
Now, to reduce even more the ''size of the rcp file'' , start by creating a new .rcp.
Then copy ONLY the .RCS files from the old support folder to the newly created rcp.'s support folder. Then import those .rcs files in that new rcp.
Tada no more pictures.

BTW special trick just good to know, autocad has a maximum of 25 000 000 points per file (.RCP or .RCS)
For a RCP the points of each .rcs files( for each scans) in that support folder will count in the total of points for that .rcp.
Single unified RCS file has a max of 25 000 000 but it applies to 1 file only, doesnt matter if you have many inserted in autocad. Each files RCS or RCP inserted in autocad will have a maximum of 25M points. Now you need to work around that in order to maximize your autocad renderings.
FYI, In autocad you can see the amount of points when viewing the file in the XREF command.
If you want more points to load in autocad, you will need to create multiple .rcs (unified exports) of less than 25 000 000 points each, hence you would need to crop your project, I use regions in recap for that and roughly eyeball it. I think there is a way to do Tilling in cloudcompare that would be more automated.
For cloudcompare, you could do 1 big unified rcs file, import that .rcs in recap, export a e57 from that unified .rcs than split it in many e57 in cloudcompare using the tilling tools. Import those splitted .e57 in recap, take all the separated rcs from the support folder and import that in autocad. Maybe someone else knows more about tilling here that could help you if that is what you would like to do. I might even look more into it myself if you need me to.

Return to “Autodesk ReCap Studio”